At the risk of sounding like a spoiled brat.........

Hilary

There's always something new to learn!
It's not fair!
crying.gif

I've just received the e-mail from DVC telling me that I've been automatically entered into their prize draw. That sounds nice, doesn't it? :)

Then I checked out the rules and discovered that, to be eligible to enter, you have to be resident in the US. Not so great, eh? :(

I know there was a lot of dissent about the new Disney cc being available only to those with US bank accounts, but at least that seemed like a valid reason on Disney's part. I cannot understand, however, why non-US DVC members can't be eligible to stand a chance of winning some WDW passes.

Sure, the chances of actually winning aren't going to be great, but it's the principle of the thing that irks me............

Okay, rant over ;)

I was trying to check the rules this morning Hilary - unsuccessfully I might add.

As usual - we don't get included. I am going to email them my moan! There are a lot of DVC members not in the US!!

I'm off to find an email address :(

Hilary, you spoilt brat! ;)

Naturally, it stinks as per usual though :( Didn't I read somewhere that the Brits were the 2nd or 3rd highest purchasers of DVC outside the States? It was a proper percentage too as I recall, not some little 0.0003% that doesn't count for anything.

I'll write complaining to. Kaylee, can you post the email address you're gonna write to so we can be sure it all goes to the same place?

Outside of the US UKers have the next highest take up of DVC - I'm sure our agent told us it was something like 30%. I was just getting excited about the prospect of winning 4 premium annual passes.

I totally agree with you. So much for "building a community" - as long as you don't live outside the US! :rolleyes:

There are federal laws that prohibit timeshare companies from offering promotional prizes to non US citizens. While it may be arguable that this is or is not an inducement to increase your holding of DVC points, Disney is unlikely to risk breaking federal laws due to the high cost of defending such a case ( and possible fines). I doubt Disney is doing this because it wants to alienate a large (granted) minority with in it's organisation, afterall it makes no difference to Disney if it's a US or UK member that wins the prize.

There are federal laws that prohibit timeshare companies from offering promotional prizes to non US citizens.
Isn't this why some US states and non-US countries are excluded from the 'refer a friend' rewards?

This prize draw is not limited to the same states as are eligible for the rewards - it's open to ALL US residents, but no-one else.

The worse thing is that they send you the email saying that they have entered you for it :(

I agree Kaylee. It's not as though they don't know who we are, or where we live - you need to put in your member id to register on the site, after all.

I wonder what would happen if you were to actually win the prize only for DVC to realise after the event you were ineligible ?

Paul

Friends of ours bought after being refered by us and of course we didn't get the referal gift. When I was at DLP I went to view the Marriot time share and was told that I could get referal gifts if I bought and refered friends to the Marriott. I told them that Disney are not allowed to give us referal gifts. DVC told me that it wasn't their country, but our country that did not allow it. Now when the Marriott lady heard this she said that was rubbish, the UK have no problems with us getting gifts. So of course I had to find out and phoned DVC and demanded to talk to the referal manager. He said that is wasn't USA or the Uk that stopped them giving gifts, but the fact that it is to complecated to sort out the tax involved. If they give anything that has a value they have to declare it and pay VAT/TAX on it. He said that all the countries in Europe have a different tax and it is to complecated. Give him his due he said that he has been working on a program to sort this out for a couple of years. He said that he has spoken at many meetings telling the managment that this is unfair. He did say that he would like to meet us when we are on holiday next. We did meet him and a nice chat, he gave us some DVC freebies as a thankyou for our time. So maybe we will get these gifts sometime ....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter