at the Poly now............

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by huhwhat, Jan 31, 2013.

  1. huhwhat

    huhwhat Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    Messages:
    357
    two hours after checking in on Saturday I started feeling unwell....I noticed the wall paper was seperated from the wall in the bathroom.....I moved it back to find a wall of black mold.....they moved us right away to a new room and gave us $150 resort credit....seemed all was well....so it is now Thursday and the entire family is sick.....I dropped my comb in the bathrom and when I bent down to get it I noticed mold inder the vanity in the bathroom......uggghhhhh .....tomorrow is my check out date and I really do not want to be exposed to the mold another night....I am really disappointed that this is health hazard is allowed to go on unchecked....I am sure all the room probably have mold........
     
  2. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

    to hide this advert.
  3. Debrn

    Debrn Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    Messages:
    495
    More than likely a virus making you all sick:(
    Hope you feel better quickly.






     
  4. Mommy2TwoMickeys

    Mommy2TwoMickeys DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2012
    Messages:
    987
    Oh WOW! So sorry to hear this happening to you & the family. I have to be honest, it makes me feel a bit uneasy for the fact that my family and I will be arriving at the Poly on 3/2 and we have a 3 1/2 yr old and 8 month old......:confused3
     
  5. davedmaine

    davedmaine DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2011
    Messages:
    2,034
    The room does sound gross, but it's extremely unlikely it's making you sick.
     
  6. infopurposesonly

    infopurposesonly Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    May 29, 2012
    Messages:
    196
    Lots of viruses going aorund, but mold allergies can be serious. I hope they can find you a better room. We stayed at the Poly once and won't stay again.
     
  7. minnie mum

    minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2011
    Messages:
    12,961
    A 2 hour exposure to mold would be unlikely to cause illness, unless you were allergic to the spores or severely immunocompromised. It is much more likely, given recent articles about outbreaks of the flu, norovirus, and a couple of other illnesses, that your family has succumbed to one of these.

    Of course no one wants to see mold growing in their resort rooms. But when you are in an area where heat and humidity are a fact of life you have to realize that mold and mildew are also a fact of life and something that has to be battled constantly. And while unsightly, not all molds are pathogenic. I'm sure management was grateful that you reported the problem so that they could deal with it.
     
  8. pl4bby

    pl4bby Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2013
    Messages:
    229
    This happened at SSR also I got a huge resort credit but we all get sick.
     
  9. huhwhat

    huhwhat Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    Messages:
    357
    I am extremely allergic to mold........ ps rooms 3940 tukolou and room 3311 fiji
     
  10. Polydweller

    Polydweller DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    May 17, 2010
    Messages:
    1,683
    And the room refreshes will be getting rid of that oo.
     
  11. bumbershoot

    bumbershoot DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2007
    Messages:
    48,416
    Oh you poor thing. I know very well what that's like!

    We rented a condo from my BIL for a year or so, and only once have I ever felt worse for a long period of time. When we went to move out, we pulled the bed and dressers away from the wall, and black mold was everywhere. When we took things out of the walk-in closet, the back of the closet's floor was damp. UGH.

    And the only other time I'd ever been that sick was in an apartment similar to the condo (both half under the ground floor), when upon move-out I realized that my whole windowsill, which I hadn't seen b/c I kept the blinds firmly closed since they looked right out on the parking lot, was covered in black mold.

    In the condo I blamed it on a brand new indoor cat and early pregnancy, but I wasn't pregnant the whole time, and I got a lot better *as soon as* we left (and took the backs of the dressers off and replaced the bedframe).

    For people who are sensitive, 2 hours exposure can indeed cause tremendous problems.

    My mom was in a hotel for ONE hour once, started going into a major asthma attack, and it was because of mold inside the a/c unit.

    It sucks to be the canary in a coal mine, but the reality is, NO ONE should be around that stuff, even if you're not as sensitive to it as others are.
     
  12. jalaine

    jalaine Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2008
    Messages:
    338
    Ugh, so sorry you had to go through that! I'm another one allergic to mold and even a short exposure to serious mold would cause my lungs to feel like I'm underwater. I hope the room refreshes will take care of this...might feel better requesting a newly redone room for our late April trip...
     
  13. GusGus77

    GusGus77 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2012
    Messages:
    570
    That is awful! I have a severe mold allergy and would have gotten ill very quickly as well. I am not one to think people are entitled to things all the time, but it does sound like $150 resort credit was a little lax given you were staying in a $500 room and it sounds like it was a substantial amount of mold, not just a very small section that I understand can occur in the humid Florida weather. I guess I am thankful we can't afford to stay at the Poly!
     
  14. pl4bby

    pl4bby Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2013
    Messages:
    229
    Yes I got much more than that that. I was at a different resort. SSR. You may be able to afford value and still have mold.
     
  15. a1tinkfans

    a1tinkfans Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2006
    Messages:
    9,054
    regardless of it being florida and humidity is there, no vacationer should be exposed to BLACK mold...and Im not talking about a spot the size of a dime here...but if the OP sees a WALL of mold?? as she described....I would not be taking 150 off my bill but requesting to be comped the nights stay.
    Never mind the packing up to move and then unpacking and getting settled in again (one reason we're not to much into split stays :rotfl2:) but I digress
    Black MOLD is some serious stuff...remediation is necessary, so lets hope that they have taken care of it and no one else is utilizing it.
    Putting that aside, unless the OP knows for sure it actually was the MOLD which she is allergic too that actually made her sick, its likely that her whole family caught something..
    I hope you are all feeling MUCH better...and that you had an enjoyable time despite the room situation.
     
  16. jandkmom

    jandkmom Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2009
    Messages:
    388
    I'm here at the Poly now in Tokelau and haven't noticed any mold. My DH is quite sensitive to it, even the smell, and he hasn't noticed anything either. This is our third time at the Poly and we have never seen or smelled mold in our rooms. I don't think anyone can be "sure" that every room is affected. Still, I'm surprised that you found it in 2 separate LH rooms. What a shame. However, I'm with the others in doubting that the mold has made your whole family sick. It's winter, a particularly bad flu and norovirus season, and we are exposed to a ton of different germs from all over the world here (not to mention during travel). Feel better soon!
     
  17. Marla1106

    Marla1106 Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    Messages:
    145
    Ugg.. so sorry. I am allergic to mold and that would make me really sick also.
     
  18. mickey2minnie1

    mickey2minnie1 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    May 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1,721
    I hope you all are feeling better soon. I feel for you disappointment.
     
  19. lsg1

    lsg1 Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2005
    Messages:
    350
    We were at the poly last week in tokelau and checked out on Sunday (Jan 27). We were in room 2943 and while waking down the hall on the first floor right below our room (so the rooms 1945 and down,) there was a very strong smell of mold.everyone in my family noticed and we said if our room was down there we definitely would have had to move. There was no smell of mold in our room though.
     
  20. Robbi

    Robbi DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2012
    Messages:
    3,694
    Not true, we're very healthy people who do not have allergies. My husband and I were house hunting. We walked into a house and in under 5 minutes, I started feeling choked up, then my husband and the agent started feeling unwell. Turned out there was black mold growing in a cabinet near the sink.
     
  21. huhwhat

    huhwhat Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    Messages:
    357
    yes ! this is exactly how I felt...it is scary....
     

Share This Page