At CBR right now

SqueakyMouse

DIS Veteran
Loving CBR! Checked in yesterday and were "upgraded" to a pirate room. Not sure if this would be an upgrade or downgrade for most folks, as the pirate rooms are kind of separate from everything else and a ways from the rest of the resort. However, dd is LOVING it; and dh and I were surprised to find that we like the peace and quiet. Ds and I walked to the main pool yesterday, and the walk wasn't too bad. (Wouldn't want to do it during the summer months, though!) It also helps that we have a car, so we don't "have" to walk. Quiet pool has been empty since we checked in early yesterday morning. Main pool had plenty of chairs even during the busier afternoon hours. Resort is completely booked (2/3 conference go-ers), but you'd never know it. Food court selections were great (especially after spending a day at POP!!!) and tasty. CMs are the friendliest we've encountered in quite a while. Looking forward to our week here!!:thumbsup2

Wow!!! I am so happy to hear you like CBR. I was so hesitant to book CBR. But you are lucky you got a pirate room. To upgrade from standard to pirate for a week would cost me $500. I will just book standard and pray for that upgrade! Are the grounds really lovely? Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the update -- I'm almost at single digits and it is nice to hear someone raving about CBR -- it seems to be the resort most love to complain about. It's funny, to me, as the moderates (except for POFQ) all have about the same number of rooms, yet everyone complains CBR is too big.

I'm hoping I don't get an upgrade to a pirate room -- I booked a kingbed!

Tom

Will you be posting pictures? CBR is the only MOD we haven't stayed at, I wish they had Queen sized beds. I'm interested though in seeing updated pictures of the resort.

SqueekyMouse: Thanks for the "live" report! How neat that you were upgraded to a pirate room. I've heard a lot of folks complain about the walk but I timed it and it wasn't that bad...7 minutes to OPR. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Will you be posting pictures? CBR is the only MOD we haven't stayed at, I wish they had Queen sized beds. I'm interested though in seeing updated pictures of the resort.

I didn't look to see if you have a ticker to see when you are considering going. The CBR will be getting a room makeover, complete with queen size beds, beginning in April, 2014.

We're heading down to CBR and staying in a pirate room in 11 days!! WOO HOO!!! Is there a fridge in your room?

SqueekyMouse: Thanks for the "live" report! How neat that you were upgraded to a pirate room. I've heard a lot of folks complain about the walk but I timed it and it wasn't that bad...7 minutes to OPR. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I didn't look to see if you have a ticker to see when you are considering going. The CBR will be getting a room makeover, complete with queen size beds, beginning in April, 2014.

I'm in the 1st stages of planning--want to go next Sept. 2014. Hoping for FD and will see what MOD resorts are available for this. If we can't get POR will consider CBR if they do get Queen Sized beds. Thanks so much for letting me know about the update coming. :hug:

I'm in the 1st stages of planning--want to go next Sept. 2014. Hoping for FD and will see what MOD resorts are available for this. If we can't get POR will consider CBR if they do get Queen Sized beds. Thanks so much for letting me know about the update coming. :hug:

You are welcome! I am hoping to get a new room when we arrive on May 24th. I was told that it is a possibility.

So glad to hear that you're enjoying CBR. It's our fave by far! Have a great time!! :)

Sounds great! Nice to hear that you are having a great time! We love CBR too, although we have never stayed in the pirate rooms. They look so cool! Congratulations on the upgrade!

Yeah! We stay in the pirate rooms in just over a month! I am glad it isn't too bad where they are located as that was a concern. Also excited to hear they will have queen sized beds before too long and possibly a room refurb. I don't think they have done much to the resort (minus pirate rooms) since it first opened!

Dh and I discussed this yesterday: We think that if you come to CBR knowing that it is a big resort and spread out, you won't be bothered (or AS bothered by that). Also, it really helps to have a car here. We walked to the main pool again yesterday, but then wished we had driven as some dark clouds rolled in after a while. We didn't get any rain at that time, but I worried about getting our cameras wet. Because it is spread out, it is very quiet. (Of course, it helps that half the people here at the moment are Gardner attendees.) The view of the fireworks from the Trinidad South beach is phenomenal. Not sure what show was at 11:00 last night, but we had just gotten back from DTD when they'd started. CMs continue to be the friendliest we've met to date. Cuban breakfast sandwich for breakfast yesterday was very good. Grounds are lush and well kept. Bus to DTD was not so great...but we have found that to be the case at POP, ASM, and AKL. In fact, far worse at AKL. 30 minute wait for a bus and 25+ minute trip to DTD...but only a 5-10 minute trip back at the end of the evening!

This is the resort that seems to have the most controversy -- I see lots of people commenting that it is such a large resort -- maybe I will change my mind in 2 weeks, but it has 2,112 rooms and CSR has 1,921 while POR has 2,048 rooms -- so, unless you are comparing it to POFQ, isn't it the same size as the other moderates? What am I missing -- It seems to me when I look at the maps that all the mods are built the same way, clusters of buildings that hold 200 rooms, around some body of water, with a food court/main building some were "central."

Am I over analyzing this or what?

Tom

This is the resort that seems to have the most controversy -- I see lots of people commenting that it is such a large resort -- maybe I will change my mind in 2 weeks, but it has 2,112 rooms and CSR has 1,921 while POR has 2,048 rooms -- so, unless you are comparing it to POFQ, isn't it the same size as the other moderates? What am I missing -- It seems to me when I look at the maps that all the mods are built the same way, clusters of buildings that hold 200 rooms, around some body of water, with a food court/main building some were "central."

Am I over analyzing this or what?

Tom

Maybe you're over anayzing. For most able folks, I really don't see what all the fuss is about provided the weather is OK. If it's scorching hot or pounding rain, then that's different. Then even a short walk can be an ordeal.

I work indoors and in our part of the world we have long and cold winters. When I get to FL (usually Jan-Mar) I like to get out and enjoy the nice Orlando weather, so walking is no issue at all, I love it. Compared to the walking you do in the parks it's not much at all. Even after a long day (we're early risers) in the parks, if OPR is still open, we'll get off the bus there, get something to drink, and walk over to our room, which is usually in Aruba.

Maybe go on google maps and do a virtual walk around the resort and see how it feels to you. Any time we travel to a new place my wife does than and it's surprising how it helps you get around.

But then, of course, we're all different. You need to decide for yourself and your family if the resort suits you.:)

Glad you like it. I admit to being a CBR complainer - our room needed updating, didn't like the full size beds, and the resort being so spread out and the multiple internal bus stops made it not one of our better trips. We always stay on property so that we don't have to rent a car and it seemed like people who had a car liked it better here.

So glad you're having such a great experience!!! I love CBR!! We're staying at a family suite at AoA this time because we got a great deal, but I'm really nervous I'm going to wish we had just gone back to CBR instead! I always feel so relaxed and peaceful when I'm there. :flower3:

We love CBR. Will be there in Dec. The staff there went above and beyond what they needed to do for my granddaughers birthday a year ago. The grounds are beautiful, and there are time, you feel like the only one there. we don't do commando anymore, so can wait for a bus if we have to. I am on vacation, and not in a real hurry. Glad you like it. We were upgraded to a pirate room a few years ago. Pretty neat!

You are welcome! I am hoping to get a new room when we arrive on May 24th. I was told that it is a possibility.

Will the decor stay the same or will they be changing the bed spreads? Please post pics of the updated rooms.
Also wondering if anyone else have stayed at POR and CBR, so hard to leave the resort you know you like to try another one.

Will the decor stay the same or will they be changing the bed spreads? Please post pics of the updated rooms.
Also wondering if anyone else have stayed at POR and CBR, so hard to leave the resort you know you like to try another one.

The rumored décor will be totally different....lots of natural/tan colors. There were pictures of what are supposedly the new rooms on another discussion board. Here's the link to those pictures: http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/florida995/media/photo8_zps128d343c.jpg.html

There has been no confirmation that this is what the rooms will look like. I was only told that there will be a refurb and that they are getting queen beds.

We haven't stayed at POR but did stay at POFQ and we liked the CBR much better. Having said that, we are from Louisiana so the whole Southern theme didn't wow us since we see it every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter