Asperger's vs. High Functioning Autism

Discussion in 'disABILITIES Community Board' started by Nixie, Aug 30, 2013.

1. mistysue

mistysue DIS Veteran

Not to replace anything else you do, but have you contacted the school counselor?
    I know in my daughter's school if we contact the counselor we can request they reach out to the child. In addition to it potentially starting a relationship there, it is possible that if the counselor recognizes an issue that could help you get an emotional/behavioral plan in place.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bocaj1431

bocaj1431 DIS Veteran

One problem that contributes to differing diagnoses is that not all doctors are qualified to make a diagnosis of an Autism spectrum disorder. The best way to obtain an accurate diagnosis is to have a transdisciplinary evaluation.

A transdisciplinary evaluation not only provides an accurate diagnosis but it also is the best way to obtain recommendations for therapeutic and educational programming. Unfortunately, these evaluations are very expensive and often not covered by insurance.

4. StirlingSilver83

StirlingSilver83 DIS Veteran

My son was diagnosed with autism when he was 3. He is now 7 and is extremely smart. He's reading on a 3rd and 4th grade level. He quizzes himself in definitions of words and different ways to spell them (ie steak and stake) he also taught himself multiplication and division. He does have behavior issues though. If he gets bored in school he will keep himself busy making things up to do or making sounds. He also sometimes talks back to his teacher if he doesn't like what she's teaching bc in his mind if he already knows what she's teaching y should he have to listen to her. It's also very hard to keep up with his need for learning. He learns things very quickly and wants to learn different things and he doesn't understand y some other kids take longer at learning things. Anyways to get to my point...academically he's a super star but behavior wise he can be difficult at times. He does have an IEP and he also has a 504 in place both for behavior. If I were u I would contact your districts child study team. They might want to test him themselves though. I don't know how it is with older kids. My district tested my son when he was 4. He also has ADHD as well. His attention is just not there, so the 504 is geared more to ADHD and the IEP more for the asd. Anyways good luck and I hope they grant u the IEP.

5. Schmeck

Schmeck <font color=blue>Funny thing is now my 17 year old

I was just going to ask the OP what testing the doctors/councilor/psychologist have done to get the diagnosis? There are so many doctors out there who just watch a kid for 10 minutes and slap on a diagnosis. A school system may not even take a diagnosis without testing results.

6. Disfanx4

Disfanx4 Mouseketeer

The biggest difference between high functioning Autism and aspergers is COMMUNICATION people don't agree, but guess what I have 2 girls on the spectrum I live it daily

7. Disfanx4

Disfanx4 Mouseketeer

didnt read your responses before I replied sorry but that is a bigger difference the. People think

8. Disfanx4

Disfanx4 Mouseketeer

if your child has a diagnosis he automatically gets an IEPER

9. Disfanx4

Disfanx4 Mouseketeer

please embrace the ASD aspergers now isn't going exists

10. Disfanx4

Disfanx4 Mouseketeer

What is really scary and I totally get parents wanting the Aspergers diagnosis , it was the best thing you could have asked for if you had to have an ASD diagnosis now hindsight is as they say is 20/20 I have 2 DD totally different ends of the spectrum it's not easy it never will be parents have to now decide whether begging for that Aspergers diagnosis was worth it because it just doesn't have any affect anymore

11. Disfanx4

Disfanx4 Mouseketeer

Aspergers as a diagnosis has now been wiped out it does t exist

12. My2CrazyGirls

My2CrazyGirls DIS Veteran

Diagnosis does not guarantee an IEP.

13. bookwormde

bookwormde <font color=darkorchid>Heading out now, another ad

A couple of things,

While all new ASD diagnosis use level 1 Autism for the same people who before would have gotten an Asperger's diagnosis, prior diagnosis for Asperger's continue to be valid, up until a reevaluation.

Should all children with Aspergers or level 1 autism get an IEP, yes

Every child with Autism no mater how intelligent or adaptive have major functional curricular educational needs.

It is still a often battle to get one for Aspergers/Level 1 kids due to ignorance about the autism spectrum and about the equivalency and independence of the functional curriculum need in relationship to the academic curriculum.