Asking for smaller portions

lulu2014

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if you can ask for smaller portions in the main dining. I had part of my stomach and my oesophagus removed due to a tumour and my appetite can change daily. I don't want people to think I waste my food if I can't eat it.

I was wondering if you can ask for smaller portions in the main dining. I had part of my stomach and my oesophagus removed due to a tumour and my appetite can change daily. I don't want people to think I waste my food if I can't eat it.

The kitchen puts food on plates assembly-line style, and asking for smaller portions would slow down the chefs. When we've ordered an extra lobster tail (for example) the waiter will bring out a whole extra dinner (because it's already pre-plated) and slide the extra tail onto the same plate next to your first lobster, while the side dishes from the extra plate just sit there at the serving station, orphaned.

If you can't eat your whole portion you can offer to share with your table mates. Otherwise don't worry about it.

You can also order from the children's menu. If you have dinner in Palo you can order half portions.

Or you can go to the dinner buffet and help yourself to smaller portions.

Don't worry about what others think [besides your server].

The server may wonder why you're not eating, and offer to bring something else :).

DS can only eat a couple spoonfuls. Servers ask if the food was good, can they bring something else that might be more tasty. They really are anxious that food is satisfactory. After we explain that he can only eat a couple spoonfuls, the rest of meals, they don't ask.

I had a gastric bypass a couple of months before our second cruise.
I explained to our servers and told them that if they see me put my plate to the side please just to remove it. Conrad and Pedro were wonderful. First time they checked to make sure. After that, no questions asked.
If you speak with your servers and tell them I know they will be happy to help.
Enjoy your cruise!

Don't worry about what others think.
Ahh... My life's motto! Worry about what those close to you think, otherwise have a great time. Life is too short to worry about what others think. The dining staff will do all they can to make you comfortable.

I think you can also ask for an appetizer portion size of your main entree. I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

They do serve 4 courses but you do not have to get the appetizer and the salad and the entree and dessert. There were many nights I only got the entree because I just couldn't and didn't want to eat that much food. You can also just order the appetizer and/or salad if you prefer.

They do serve 4 courses but you do not have to get the appetizer and the salad and the entree and dessert. There were many nights I only got the entree because I just couldn't and didn't want to eat that much food. You can also just order the appetizer and/or salad if you prefer.

Yep. Made my server a bit nutty but oh well! I'm not going to order food I don't want just to make the server happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter