ASD and headphones

momimouse27

Just a Big Kid!
Hi all!

My 12 year old son is ASD. Even though we've been many times to WDW(his favorite place in the world!) he has developed some issues due to a drug our doctor prescribed for him that he didn't have before.

He was always sensitive to loud noises but since he took this medication(we've since stopped it but the effects seem permanent) he is hypersensitive and covers his head and ears alot. Fortunately he knows what to expect at Disney-a blessing- but it really helps when he wears some headgear. Usually light headphones make him comfortable to cut some of the noise and just crowd noise in general.

I'm wondering if we'll have any trouble wearing these on rides. He's never had to do it before, and I wonder if any of you have had experience with this. I see other autistic children having to wear earphones for noise sensitivities. He and I don't do thrill rides or anything where there might be a chance of them flying off his head. Any opinion or experience is helpful, thanks! :flower:

Definitely! My son with autism is super noise sensitive too. One day at WDW, he was sitting in his stroller, holding his ears desperately, so miserable. A CM saw us and offered us a package of soft spongey earplugs. They saved us! I didn't know how he would do with having them in his ears, because his skin sensitivities are also intense. But he did great with them, and now we bring a big package with us (even to playgrounds or grocery stores!) and with a whole pack of them it's okay if we accidentally lose one here or there. We've used headphones too, and I've seen lots of other children like my son wearing them in the parks. It's just whatever your son prefers. My DS prefers to have less of his ear touched, so earplugs work better for us. And both headphones and earplugs are easily removed if there's something he WANTS to hear! I fully recommend this approach! If I can calm even one hypersense, he can have a much more enjoyable experience overall. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the Advice! We are talking about it now and he says he doesn't want anything IN his ear, just covering it. I may look into some cheap dollar store earphones and cut off the cord.

I was really worried that he might be asked to remove them during rides, but it seems like we might be okay. :)

My son has worn his noise cancelling headphones all over the park and on a ton of rides and has never been asked to remove them, nor lost them. (knock on wood)

Just wanted to pop back in and thank those who responded to my post. I've been on the Dis for many years but didn't even know this section existed until recently. It is a great help for our needs. :)

I called DLR to ask this same question and she said my son could leave the noise canceling headphones on during all rides/shows if needed.

I have lots of cute ride photos of my son wearing his headphones. :) Even Racers at DCA with his iPad in hand (my own risk). We keep extra sponge ones on us in case he got adventurous and wanted to ride something more bumpy. Never had an issue.

Thanks so much for the Advice! We are talking about it now and he says he doesn't want anything IN his ear, just covering it. I may look into some cheap dollar store earphones and cut off the cord.

I was really worried that he might be asked to remove them during rides, but it seems like we might be okay. :)

unless the ride is quite violent( lots of jerking around like the roller coasters) he will most likely not be required to remove them.

someone who shall remain nameless but I married him a long time ago lost half his eyeglasses on roller coaster last trip. the lens popped right out during a turn.

I can't even tell you how many pairs of sunglasses I've lost at WDW. I always have a pair on my head, because my eyes are sensitive to sunlight, and I forget they're there when we go on rides :)

Hi!! I'm an almost 20 year old with autism. I can handle most rides but for fireworks, I put on my ipod and no problem. I've lost ears, camera, and my cell phone beforee

My son (ASD) wears Peltor noise-reducing ear protection for most rides, shows, etc. we couldn't do most outings without them!

My daughter's earphones are tight - not hurt tight but snug enough to block out the noise. I imagine she could go on any ride and they wouldn't fly off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!