Artist Point Alert - New Head Chef

Dean Marino

DIS Veteran
See.....

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...for-artist-point-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge/

"Chef Michael Gonsalves, new at the helm in the Artist Point kitchen, is having fun with a menu that is focused on the America’s Pacific Northwest. “We are looking to convey the wonders of nature through food,” says Chef Michael."

If my wife's research is correct, this is a step up for the (former?) Sous Chef at Markham's, Golden Oaks.

What we DON'T have is the new menu.... if anyone is going to AP in the short term? It would be GREAT if you could post a photo of the new dinner menu....

Thanks for the posting. Does anyone know the name of the departing head chef? PLEASE tell me it is NOT Chef Philippe. He coordinates and oversees my son's allergy issues when we stay at the WL and is fantastic!!

Thanks for the posting. Does anyone know the name of the departing head chef at Artist Point? PLEASE tell me it is NOT Chef Philippe. He coordinates and oversees my son's allergy issues when we stay at the WL and is fantastic!!

I'll be looking forward to reports of the new menu at AP. We've been a bit disappointed in the offerings there over the past few years. This was once our favorite Signature restaurant. Hope they bring back some of our old favorites.

Reactions: Kae

1) We had a "tasting" some of the new dishes.
. . . this frequently happens when new eateries or new chefs are introduced
. . . a good example was how most us were UNDERWHELMED with Turf Club offerings at the "tasting" prior to opening
. . . however, I really thought Harambe Marketplace hit a solid triple (not quite a home run) with their offerings
. . . as it turned out, we were on-the-money for both
. . . now, Turf Club is trying to make a turn (not a "come back", because it was never really "there" to begin with)
2) As most of you know, I am very frank and tough with my restaurant reviews.
3) Chef Michael Gonsalves (who replaces Phillipe) seems to be bringing Artist Point BACK to its previous TOP NOTCH status for variety and quality.
4) For the past 2-3 years, the food quality AND the service has been slipping.
. . . we patronize only five eateries at WDW, for other than review purposes
. . . the Artist Point fell off our list last year due to disappointing food variety, food quality, and lackluster service
5) Many of us at the-WL-Concierge Desk actually recommended eateries other than our own Artist Point.
. . . we depend upon giving great service and great advice to our guests
. . . we do not want a guest coming back and asking why we ever sent them to a particular eatery
6) I think my opinion of AP has now been severely altered.
7) AP goes back into my list of five-WDW-eateries as long as the quality and service are sustained and upheld.

NOTE: Some of our favorites . . .
. . . kombu turnip pickels
. . . charred asparagus with prosciutto
. . . also looking forward to the "balcony dining experience" and the Chef's Communal Table

Thanks for the report Rusty. I'd be interested in seeing a menu if you can manage to post it here.

Thanks for the report Rusty. I'd be interested in seeing a menu if you can manage to post it here.

1) I will, but it not yet officially available (internally).
2) Only "Reviewer" comments are published, thus far.
3) But, do not let that stop you from making a future ADR.
4) At the moment, I will go out on a limb and recommend the place.

1) We had a "tasting" some of the new dishes.
. . . this frequently happens when new eateries or new chefs are introduced
. . . a good example was how most us were UNDERWHELMED with Turf Club offerings at the "tasting" prior to opening
. . . however, I really thought Harambe Marketplace hit a solid triple (not quite a home run) with their offerings
. . . as it turned out, we were on-the-money for both
. . . now, Turf Club is trying to make a turn (not a "come back", because it was never really "there" to begin with)
2) As most of you know, I am very frank and tough with my restaurant reviews.
3) Chef Michael Gonsalves (who replaces Phillipe) seems to be bringing Artist Point BACK to its previous TOP NOTCH status for variety and quality.
4) For the past 2-3 years, the food quality AND the service has been slipping.
. . . we patronize only five eateries at WDW, for other than review purposes
. . . the Artist Point fell off our list last year due to disappointing food variety, food quality, and lackluster service
5) Many of us at the-WL-Concierge Desk actually recommended eateries other than our own Artist Point.
. . . we depend upon giving great service and great advice to our guests
. . . we do not want a guest coming back and asking why we ever sent them to a particular eatery
6) I think my opinion of AP has now been severely altered.
7) AP goes back into my list of five-WDW-eateries as long as the quality and service are sustained and upheld.

NOTE: Some of our favorites . . .
. . . kombu turnip pickels
. . . charred asparagus with prosciutto
. . . also looking forward to the "balcony dining experience" and the Chef's Communal Table

Oh, I've GOT to reply to this... please forgive me - I had NO IDEA that you were at the Lodge Concierge Desk :(. NOW, I'm going to attach myself to your posts like a Remora to a Shark :). Sandy and I are WL DVC regulars - 12 years, twice a year.

Now - what you have said is VERY ENCORAGING. We had a little different experience.... a lower point for AP about 2-3 years ago, introduction of a new manager, then a slow RISE back to quality. By April 2015? We were pretty happy with how WELL AP had recovered (well, except for the Cobbler :)). Now - the shift in Head Chef did not surprise us THAT much, as we realize that both head Managers, and Head Chefs, tend to move around about ever 5 years....

I would LOVE to get your opinion on the DDP "menu offering ceiling effect", as it impacts Sig Restaurant Management, and Sig Restaurant Head Chefs (via the menu). This could be a VERY controversial (and potentially dangerous) subject for someone employed at WDW.... so please, feel free to say "I can't talk about that" :).

Wait, what? Chef's Communal Table? When will the details on that one be spilled?!?!

Oh, I've GOT to reply to this... please forgive me - I had NO IDEA that you were at the Lodge Concierge Desk :(. NOW, I'm going to attach myself to your posts like a Remora to a Shark :). Sandy and I are WL DVC regulars - 12 years, twice a year.

Now - what you have said is VERY ENCORAGING. We had a little different experience.... a lower point for AP about 2-3 years ago, introduction of a new manager, then a slow RISE back to quality. By April 2015? We were pretty happy with how WELL AP had recovered (well, except for the Cobbler :)). Now - the shift in Head Chef did not surprise us THAT much, as we realize that both head Managers, and Head Chefs, tend to move around about ever 5 years....

I would LOVE to get your opinion on the DDP "menu offering ceiling effect", as it impacts Sig Restaurant Management, and Sig Restaurant Head Chefs (via the menu). This could be a VERY controversial (and potentially dangerous) subject for someone employed at WDW.... so please, feel free to say "I can't talk about that" :).

We actually felt the same way. Didn't really like AP that much 4-5 years ago, ate there twice over the last two years and thought it was FANTASTIC. We'll be going back in about a week, give or take.

Good to know. My DD18 and I are staying at the WL next month and AP was one of her must-dos this trip. I'm actually looking forward to it now as I've been the only one in my family that just thought AP was 'eh'.

My wife and I, too, are WL/VWL and AP enthusiasts and have been for years. In fact, we got married at the Lodge two years ago, and we're headed back later this week for our anniversary. Our thoughts echo those who felt AP was superb several years ago but fell into complacency and inconsistency for a 2-3 years. However, our most recent two visits there gave us confidence that AP was on the upswing. Based on the early returns so far, we are hopeful our upcoming meal (where we'll take plenty of pics) will feature a return to prominence for AP. Now, don't get me started on the physical changes coming soon to our beloved Lodge and Villas. . .

My wife and I have eaten at AP 3 times since our honeymoon in 2012. The first was great and, at the time, was my 2nd favorite dining experience I've ever had. The 2nd time we ate there blew the first one out of the water and became my #1 immediately (pork belly bacon followed by scallops and risotto followed by cobbler and the service was also the best I've ever had anywhere). The last time was going to be our last time until this news. I paid a lot of money for a boring dish of buffalo served 3 ways! The macaroni was cold and chewy. The menu was boring overall and the waiter clearly wanted to go home. I figured maybe it was because we had a later reservation but for that much money it shouldn't matter. And it was a good excuse to try something new since the only signatures we've done are AP and Narcoosee's. Now I may have to give it another whirl. Can't wait to see the menu and hear the reviews.

Oh, I've GOT to reply to this... please forgive me - I had NO IDEA that you were at the Lodge Concierge Desk . . . I would LOVE to get your opinion on the DDP "menu offering ceiling effect . . .

1) My desk-time is pretty much split between The Lodge and The Fort.
2) To spice things up, I also pick up a few shifts at other positions and locations.

{FLAMEPROOF CAPE FROM DRAWER TO SHOULDERS}
3) As for DDP, there are very few of us who think it is a good deal - other than for the pockets of Disney.
4) A few of the thoughts that we discuss during breaks and idle times at The Desk.
. . . one must remember that Disney does nothing for guests that does not financially benefit Disney
. . . DDP seldom pays off FINANCIALLY to those who buy it
. . . since "Free Dining" is paid for by hotels, resort room rates must remain high and grow higher to cover the cost
. . . eatery managers/chefs are responsible for their own margins, so they have to keep menu items well within the DDP reimbursements
. . . in many of our personal opinions, by keeping menu items cheaper, WDW eateries are not as unique as they had one been
. . . since reimbursements are set annually by contract, if food prices change during they year, menu items get downgraded to meet costs
. . . at other eateries, they cold keep unique/special menu items the same and just raise prices
. . . we are wondering what is going to happen with dishes requiring eggs-chicken-lobster, due to the current price jumps of these
5) DDP reimbursement is also why places are limiting substitutions.
. . . too costly to keep lots of options available
. . . too costly to have extra kitchen staff on-roll to prepare non-standard sides
. . . at other eateries, they would just charge more for subs,
. . . but not on DDP, for the most part (only at some eateries do they do this, and for "priced" sides)
. . . the "trial" location is BoG for halting many of the subs
. . . at this locations, subs are highly limited
. . . if it continues to work there, it will be rolled-out at other eateries
{FLAMEPROOF CAPE BACK TO STORAGE}

Last edited:
2) To spice things up, I also pick up a few shifts at other positions and locations.

3) As for DDP, there are very few of us who think it is a good deal - other than for the pockets of Disney.
4) A few of the thoughts that we discuss during breaks and idle times at The Desk.
. . . one must remember that Disney does nothing for guests that does not financially benefit Disney
. . . since "Free Dining" is paid for by hotels, resort room rates must remain high and grow higher to cover the cost
. . . eatery managers/chefs are responsible for their own margins, so they have to keep menu items well within the DDP reimbursements
. . . in many of our personal opinions, by keeping menu items cheaper, WDW eateries are not as unique as they had one been
. . . since reimbursements are set annually by contract, if food prices change during they year, menu items get downgraded to meet costs
. . . at other eateries, they cold keep unique/special menu items the same and just raise prices
. . . we are wondering what is going to happen with dishes requiring eggs-chicken-lobster, due to the current price jumps of these
. . . too costly to have extra kitchen staff on-roll to prepare non-standard sides
. . . but not on DDP, for the most part (only at some eateries do they do this, and for "priced" sides)

I must SINCERELY thank you for these DDP insights... they mirror EXACTLY what a great number of Sig Head Chefs have been willing, off the record, to comment on. In rare cases (knowing a particular Manager for a LONG time....), I've heard the same from local management. The biggest problem EACH camp is having: HOW to provide higher level offerings under the CURRENT DDP rules. Right now? They just can't :(. And it's frustrating the HELL out of them :(.

So - if you are willing to comment? (AGAIN - you don't have to, and it could be hazardous).... What do think of these options for a new DDP? They are NOT all "my idea" - several others, on other boards, have contributed....

1) Return to a separate DDP menu (this was a practice, at one time). A bit harsh....
2) PrixFixe DDP SIG meals, with add-ons OOP. Opens up the menu, and provides for local Chef/Mgmt decision making, as well as individual patron decisions.
3) Leave everything as it is.

...and if you are willing to comment (this one is a stretch).... ISRAEL, at V&A :). I do not just admire this man for his skill with FOOD - in my heart, I admire him the MOST for trashing the "system", and creating his own - one that WORKS :). Just a personal opinion - I believe that man is the perfect role model for those wishing to run a serious restaurant :).

Totally with you on the financial benefit. We crunched the numbers, and you have to try REALLY HARD to save any real money on the plan, and it has to involve a lot of character meals -- which are the meals that most people say hurt dining at WDW the most.

1) Return to a separate DDP menu (this was a practice, at one time). A bit harsh....
2) PrixFixe DDP SIG meals, with add-ons OOP. Opens up the menu, and provides for local Chef/Mgmt decision making, as well as individual patron decisions.
3) Leave everything as it is.
...and if you are willing to comment (this one is a stretch).... ISRAEL, at V&A

{WARNING, WE TAKE OVER YOUR SCREEN FOR PERSONAL OPINION}
1) Yes, I would like to see the DDP morphed into a partial system.
. . . a list of menu items ordered under DDP, but with a surcharge (eg. Menu item = DDP+$5.00)
. . . in the early days of DDP, this was an option, as you pointed out (I think the first two years)
. . . this allows DDP people to still have a meal fully under the program, and others to still get the "creative" meals at added cost
. . . fair to everyone, including chefs who want to fully use their training and create like chefs
2) Alas, Disney makes too much profit from DDP to "go back"
3) As for Israel at V&A, got my vote!
{PERSONAL OPINION OVER, AND YOUR SCREEN IS RETURNED TO YOUR CONTROL}

Last edited:
This is the most refreshing topic I've come across on the DIS in quite some time. Thank you. We'll see how our meal is in a few days. . .

1) Versus the past couple of years, I think you will be highly pleased.
2) At the podium, ask for a window-seat.
3) More romantic.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter