Art of Disney Cross Stitch thread question-DISCONTINUATION UPDATE!

Keebles

I'm OCD and proud of it!
Has anyone done the "Self Portrait" cross stitch from the Art of Disney store (the one with Mickey looking in the mirror to paint himself but the canvas has Walt on it)? I've gotten fairly well into it and am slowly realizing that the kit didn't come with enough off white thread. I don't think it will be a problem to get more, I just wondered if anyone else had this problem or with any other of the Art of Disney cross stitch kits. I also got the castle one with Walt and Mickey walking and, considering it's size, I'm now worried about that one as well. I've never not had enough thread before, usually I have a ton left over.

Yes, this happens to be quite regularly. I am about 2 hours worth of work away from finishing the 50th Anniversary one (the castle with the Fab 5). I ran out of 2 colors, the kit included 2 wrong colors (they included purples but it was supposed to be greens for the trees) and I ran out of the white, irridescent glissengloss thread.

One thing that affected me, but probably won't anyone else because so much time has passed. In the mid-90's, DMC changed its dye process, and it changed the colors in the grey family. The kit, had the new grey, and when I grabbed my floss I had had from a previous project, I noticed they didn't match! Unfortunately, I didn't notice until after I had started using the old grey, so I had to take out a bunch of stitches, buy the new grey and continue on.

I've had that happen and if you email Stoney Creek they will quickly send you what you need. I ran out of one of the colors for the fireworks for Cindy's castle with Tink and it only took a few days for the missing thread to appear in my USPS mail.

I'm going to DTD in May and I can't wait to go and get some of these kits! They are in the Art of Disney, correct? I am assuming it is located in DTD. Is it easy to find?

Ok, I am currently working on the happiest celebration xstitch right now. Periodically I wash the fabric in regular soap and water (hand wash, air dry) because the stitches can become dirty and because of the fabric being stretched out.

Well anyway it looks as if now the castle has a slight purple tinge to it and I haven't completed it yet.

Has anyone had this happened and did it ever come out again?

I think the fabric bled and I didn't realize it would.

I hope it does come out otherwise I might have to buy a new piece of fabric. That would suck.

dreams91 said:
I'm going to DTD in May and I can't wait to go and get some of these kits! They are in the Art of Disney, correct? I am assuming it is located in DTD. Is it easy to find?

There are two Art of Disney stores that I'm aware of...one in EPCOT (in Future World) and one Downtown and both stores carried them. I also saw them at World of Disney Store as well as in the shops in the Animation Courtyard at MGM. All Ears says that there is an AOD store in Animal Kingdom, but I'm just not sure where it is.

Bildmouse said:
I've had that happen and if you email Stoney Creek they will quickly send you what you need. I ran out of one of the colors for the fireworks for Cindy's castle with Tink and it only took a few days for the missing thread to appear in my USPS mail.

Right after I started this thread, I did just that, but I didn't give them my address or anything. Darn! Something told me to do that!

cobbler said:
Ok, I am currently working on the happiest celebration xstitch right now. Periodically I wash the fabric in regular soap and water (hand wash, air dry) because the stitches can become dirty and because of the fabric being stretched out.

Well anyway it looks as if now the castle has a slight purple tinge to it and I haven't completed it yet.

Has anyone had this happened and did it ever come out again?

I think the fabric bled and I didn't realize it would.

I hope it does come out otherwise I might have to buy a new piece of fabric. That would suck.

Ouch. Fabric bled? I just figure that there will eventually be stitches over those areas so I leave it alone.

Do you wash your floss before you use it? I know the directions say you should, but I was wondering if anyone else did this?

What I mean is the fabric itself is ok, but it bled in the water. Well you know how the water turns color. Anywho that is what happened and like I said the fabric itself is ok. Just now the white and lt gray stitches have a purple tinge to it. So when I start on other parts of the castle some of it looks tinted and the rest looks white.

I am thinking I will have to go buy a new piece and start all over. I have washed it a couple of more times and it seems to be improving. I also emailed Stoney Creek to see if they have any suggestions. So hopefully all is not lost just yet.

But if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I think the normal recipie for bleeding colors is lots of soaking and rinsing in cold,cold water. I've seen some recommendations to soak in ice water.

ACK!! You mean I was supposed to WASH my floss and I should be washing the Tink/Castle design I've been working on for years?! Is this something I should do before I finish it? Help! :eek:

dreams91 said:
Ouch. Fabric bled? I just figure that there will eventually be stitches over those areas so I leave it alone.

Do you wash your floss before you use it? I know the directions say you should, but I was wondering if anyone else did this?

To be honest, I have never done this...after I finish a project I'll wash the finished piece in very cold water and the thread has never bled for me. But I've never done one on dark fabric, so that would be a consideration.

As a followup to my original problem, I received an email from Stoney Creek first thing this morning requesting my information so they could send me the needed thread (loved the customer service!). In my original email to them I gave a couple of suggestions of new patterns and she told me that they don't decide the patterns, Disney does and she also stated that Disney had not renewed orders on several of the existing patterns so they would discontinue them fairly quickly. I did email her back asking which patterns were being discontinued and if Disney had placed any new orders, but as of yet I haven't gotten a response back. So if anybody wants to get any of the exisiting patterns, I, as well as Cheryl at Stoney Creek, highly recommend jumping on them now and not waiting.

Oh! That's good information to know! Please post if you happen to find out which patterns are being discontinued.
Thanks.
Oh and glad to hear they are going to get the thread to you. That would be so frustrating!

Thanks for that info. If they tell you which ones, can you post them here? I'm going in May. I can't wait to go shopping....these are definitely on my list.

I've never washed my floss either. It always says you should, but I don't. :confused3

dreams91 said:
Thanks for that info. If they tell you which ones, can you post them here? I'm going in May. I can't wait to go shopping....these are definitely on my list.

I will definitely post 'em if I get an answer back!

I had my mom pick me up the Mickey and Walt Past Present Forever last night while at DTD. I figured it would be just my luck that this would happen.

Anyway she got the last one at that store, there weren't anymore around DTD. Not sure about the other places.

If these are something you want I suggest you call WDW Mail order, they will ship up everything to you and no sales tax if you live out of FL.

Their number is 407-363-6200

DiznEeyore said:
ACK!! You mean I was supposed to WASH my floss and I should be washing the Tink/Castle design I've been working on for years?! Is this something I should do before I finish it? Help! :eek:

I wouldn't wash it just yet if its on the Navy AIDA fabric. I washed mine and the navy bled onto my white stitches giving my castle a purple-ish tint to it. I am currently on the search for another large piece of Navy fabric. Michaels only carries the 18x?? size. I need at least the 20x30 size.

So I also have an email into Stoney Creek to see if they can help me. Funny thing is, we both live in the suburbs of the same city. They are on the Northern end of the city and I live on the southern end of the city. Its a residential area so I can't just pop over there like a store, at least I don't think so .

Here's what I got back today:

Thanks for your prompt reply, Keiley. We will send the additional floss to you.

In regards to the Disney kits, we do not usually know which ones they will discontinue until we notice (or hear from stitchers looking for a particular kit) that they have stopped ordering it. I think the Barbershop Quartet is one of these (although they did take it out of "retirement" for a little while) as well as the Family Dinner, Preening Pixie and Cinderella's Castle. Of course, we could still fill orders for these kits if they chose to order them. Perhaps if they hear enough response from stitchers looking for a particular design they may consider stocking it again?

Happy Stitching,

Cheryl
Stoney Creek Collection, Inc.
xstitch@stoneycreek.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter