Arriving a day early and staying off site. Advice needed

cman

Mouseketeer
We are taking a trip from 1/2/11 - 1/9/11 and will be staying at BWV.

Looking at some early airfares it looks like we would be better off traveling on 1/1/11, staying somewhere cheap and then transferring to BWV on 1/2/11.

One of the added benefits is that we don't waste a day travel time on 1/2 since we'll already be in Orlando. This way we can hit the ground running on 1.2.

Any advice on this? I'm sure people do this all the time. Did it work out like you had planned? Should we look at one of the Value Resorts or off-site?

Thanks!

I also need to know this - previous posters who have asked this question have been ignored, though.

Hopefully this time it will be different!

The big question for both of you is whether or not you will be renting a car. If so, staying offsite might be beneficial. If not, I'd recommend staying at a value your first night.

If you do decide on offsite, there are a TON of places along Highway 192. It all depends on your wants and needs for that one night. There are some fairly cheap places but if you are the type who wants absolutely nothing wrong with your room, those are not your best option. I've stayed in plenty of offsite places and we've been fine with the visits. However, our standards are not that high (we can live with a lot of things - just want something without bugs or a saggy bed).

Really compare the prices of offsite and a value because you might be suprised at what some of the standard places offsite do charge. Also, make sure you are getting a place that is as close to Disney World as your budget allows. Don't trust the hotel's website that says "five minute drive to Disney World" because that might not be true. MapQuest or Expedia the route (I do not like MapQuest so I use Expedia) and see how many miles it is.

Also, you might want to check out the Disney Good Neighbor Hotels. They at least will have some literature in the lobby about Disney World. And above all, avoid the person in the lobby trying to see you discounted tickets. There's always a timeshare involved.

Almost every single trip we've taken to WDW has started off with the first night at Pop Century. That way we can still use Magical Express, but not waste a package day when we know we'll be getting in later and not really need it. So we always book Pop because our kids love it, it starts the trip off great, and they have fantastic bus service. Usually we arrive at the resort in the late afternoon, rest for a bit, then hop the bus to the park. We don't even unpack, and leave the next morning EARLY so we can check-in to our resort first thing. Usually by taxi. It always works out great for us. :)

If you fly in the day before, you can often find a good deal on a hotel near the airport. They almost all have a free shuttle to/from the airport. The next morning, you take their shuttle back to the airport and catch the Magical Express bus to WDW.

We always stay at Buena Vista Suites. (we always rent a car as I have mobility issues and can't stand for long periods) I like having two rooms and a fridge (as well as the free breakfast). We are DVC owners so If we come in on a Saturday, we won't waste weekend points, we will just stay off grounds. If you stay at BV Suites, go throught the Dis link for a good price. We are staying in Dec for $88 per nite (before taxes). :goodvibesPenny

Thanks for the replies. We are not planning on renting a car so if we do an offsite we would probably stay close to the airport and then the next morning catch a shuttle back to the airport and take ME.

I'm leaning toward staying at a value resort onsite. We wont save as much money but in the long run it's not so much the fact the we are saving money on the airfare as it is being able to wake on on 1/2 and be at the park instead of wasting a day traveling to WDW.

If we stay onsite I'm assuming we get up on 1/2, check out and our bags get transfered to BWV for us. Then all we have to do is head to BWV check in and head to the parks.

I would book a value for the night; and yes, you can have your bags transferred. Pack a small bag of essentials for the first night so you don't have to repack all your bags in the morning... just grab all your stuff and go!

Without a car, I would probably stay on site that one night too. Otherwise sounds like a lot of running around. :confused3
However I think it was this year that the holiday season resort pricing was still in place through 1/02/10. Wouldn't swear to it. But believe so. That may end up being a factor for you if that is the case. And hard to say when they will end holiday season rates for end of 2010 and beginning of 2011.

I didn't know you could use magical express the day after your flight, thought it had to be the day of your flight

We are going to fly in the day before the start of our package so we won't waste Disney time with travel. I had planned on staying at the Hyatt in the airport and then taking ME the next morning. However after getting some advice on here I have decided to stay at Pop that first night, whenever we land we will just take ME to Pop and either hang around the hotel or go to DTD, depending on what time we fly in. This way will save us a good bit of money and will make getting to AKL the next day even faster, just need to catch a cab between hotels rather than take ME and have to wait for a bus and possibly stop at other hotels on the way, this will give us even more Disney time!
We are flying in Nov. 29th and got a room at Pop for $93 as opposed to $260 at the Hyatt.

Since you are not renting a car, I think it will be lots more hassle to stay off-site. I would book a value and soak up some different Disney atmosphere for the night. We have had our luggage transferred by Disney several times and its always worked out well. Enjoy your vacation!

IIRC the Holiday pricing is still in effect at WDW on 1/2/11. It was for 1/1/10 and the rate then was $145 for a value resort. It will likely be $159 on 1/1/11 since that's the Holiday rate for 2010. You can rent a full size car for $46 per day (inc taxes) from National using contract "5042947" from Vacation Outlet (http://www.vacationoutlet.com/car/default.asp) and return it to the Dolphin after you check in at BCV. That means that finding anything under $113 for a room is a savings and you have the car to pick up groceries, etc. Use Priceline to get a good but cheap room offsite.

If you are even thinking about renting a car for the day I would book this rate TODAY. You do not have to pay anything to make the reservation.

We are doing the opposite of you, we added one night to the end of our vacation (to get cheaper airfare). Our package was already book and we were unable to add a night so we used a discount code and booked one night at All Star Music at the end of our trip. Might be a good idea for you except adding it at the beginning.

we are going to fly in the day before the start of our package so we won't waste disney time with travel. I had planned on staying at the hyatt in the airport and then taking me the next morning. However after getting some advice on here i have decided to stay at pop that first night, whenever we land we will just take me to pop and either hang around the hotel or go to dtd, depending on what time we fly in. This way will save us a good bit of money and will make getting to akl the next day even faster, just need to catch a cab between hotels rather than take me and have to wait for a bus and possibly stop at other hotels on the way, this will give us even more disney time!
We are flying in nov. 29th and got a room at pop for $93 as opposed to $260 at the hyatt.

if your staying at pop thats a disney resort, they will transfer your luggage over to akl all you have to do is use wdw transportation not waste money on a cab

We did this last year and are doing it again this year. Our flight arrived late in the evening. We stayed at a Residence Inn, took their free shuttle. Got up the next morning, ate the free breakfast, took the free shuttle back to the airport and then went and boarded the Magical Express. We were checked in and at the parks before 10 AM. It really wasnt the hassle I thought it would be for the 5 of us.
I called and asked about ME because I didnt want to break any rules and they said they really didnt care when your flight arrived, just when your check in date was (as a PP noted).

We just booked our first Disney vacation today, and I think I have my work cut out for me, lol. Thank goodness for these boards. I do have a question though, right off the bat.

We don't arrive until 10:30PM the night before. Originally, I just planned to stay at/near the airport, catch the ME early the next morning, check in, and then hit the parks until we could get into our room. (BWV) But now, I'm wondering if it's worth it to book a value resort, and get the transfer over with. I can the see the pros/cons to both sides, but what do you experts think? Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nancy

Welcome to the DIS Nancy! I have stayed off-site and on-site before checking into a DVC resort. Be aware that no matter where you stay the night before that you will likely not be able to get into your room until after 4:00 pm. That leaves you a long day being "homeless". Since you are getting in so late, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me for you to spend more on staying at a Value resort. ME won't get you into the resort until close to midnight and then you'll have to take time in the morning to arrange for your bags to be delivered to BWV. In addition, if you don't want to be woken up at 2-3am when your bags arrive you will have to arrange for your bags to be held for you and pack everything for that night and then next day in your carry-on bag. If you stay at an airport hotel you will probably save money, get to bed earlier and get to BWV to check in earlier. Plus, you don't have to mess around with all that stuff in a carry on. You can just back a small day bag to take with you to the parks the next morning that includes some basic swim gear in case your room is not ready by the time you want to return to the resort.

We are taking a trip from 1/2/11 - 1/9/11 and will be staying at BWV.

Looking at some early airfares it looks like we would be better off traveling on 1/1/11, staying somewhere cheap and then transferring to BWV on 1/2/11.

One of the added benefits is that we don't waste a day travel time on 1/2 since we'll already be in Orlando. This way we can hit the ground running on 1.2.

Any advice on this? I'm sure people do this all the time. Did it work out like you had planned? Should we look at one of the Value Resorts or off-site?

Thanks!

I guess I look at this differently than you do. I would disagree that you would hit the ground running on 1/2. You still have the added time (and perhaps hassle) of leaving one hotel/resort, maybe needing to transfer back to the airport for ME, the drive to WDW and, needing to check in to BWV, and then needing to wait for your bags before you can get into your room BWV (which could be as late as 4:00 pm). You could blow all morning doing this. If money is that great of an issue, and outweighs what I just laid out, then go for it. If it were me, I would pick up another night at BWV and check in on 1/1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter