Arrival day and trip plan

Ellasoeasy

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! This is my first post but I have been gathering tons of information from this site for weeks. So thank you to everyone on here!! I booked our first ever family trip to Disney for Sept 16th-21st.. Still awhile away and unfortunately we can't stay longer due to my husbands work schedule but I am trying to plan it all out so we can make the most of our time there. We have 2 boys.. 7 and 4 years old. On our arrival day we land at 12:50pm and are taking the ME to our resort.. I've read on here that it can take about 2 hours to get from the plane to the resort and even longer if there are delays so I am wondering what we should do on that first evening ? Should we jump right into magic kingdom? I really want that to be the first park of the trip just because it seems so magical for kids and it's what I picture when I think of being there. Or should we take it easy.. go to DS and eat? I know the next morning we will do MK and hopefully mickeys halloween party (according to mytouringplans.Com that is one of the expected dates for it) if we don't do a park friday evening we will have to fit all four parks into 4 days plus our flight doesn't leave until 6pm on the 21st so we could do a morning there too. We already have park hopper tickets for friday-wed. Anyways I guess my question is what do you guys think the best park itinerary would be? Thanks!!

I would suggest hitting Disney Springs on your arrival day or spend time exploring your resort. Pick a restaurant that grabs your interest and make dinner reservations and enjoy the shopping (also they have a Lego store their for the boys).

We do Disney Springs and a Character meal on our first day. I don't like to waste a park ticket on a half day or less.

We used to always do Chef Mickeys but I feel the experience has really gone down hill. Of course, your kids are small and will probably love it no matter what. The past couple of times we have done 1900 Park Fare. We love the wicked step-mother and step-sister. They are too funny. My nephews even liked it at about 4 and 6.

For me it would depend on where you are staying. If you are staying somewhere relatively close to MK then I'd say yes go because it is pretty easy to just walk or hop on the monorail & get there in 15 minutes if you are staying close. Personally my family would be focused on 2 things: where can we eat quickly (hotel or airport), & then getting to the park. My family wouldn't be OK not going to the park when the whole point of the trip is to go to the parks. Everyone's family's different though. If you're family isn't that focused on it, then find someplace nice to eat & maybe schedule any experience like a horseback ride or boat ride for the afternoon. See if the Halloween party will be that night & maybe go then instead.

Hi everyone! This is my first post but I have been gathering tons of information from this site for weeks. So thank you to everyone on here!! I booked our first ever family trip to Disney for Sept 16th-21st.. Still awhile away and unfortunately we can't stay longer due to my husbands work schedule but I am trying to plan it all out so we can make the most of our time there. We have 2 boys.. 7 and 4 years old. On our arrival day we land at 12:50pm and are taking the ME to our resort.. I've read on here that it can take about 2 hours to get from the plane to the resort and even longer if there are delays so I am wondering what we should do on that first evening ? Should we jump right into magic kingdom? I really want that to be the first park of the trip just because it seems so magical for kids and it's what I picture when I think of being there. Or should we take it easy.. go to DS and eat? I know the next morning we will do MK and hopefully mickeys halloween party (according to mytouringplans.Com that is one of the expected dates for it) if we don't do a park friday evening we will have to fit all four parks into 4 days plus our flight doesn't leave until 6pm on the 21st so we could do a morning there too. We already have park hopper tickets for friday-wed. Anyways I guess my question is what do you guys think the best park itinerary would be? Thanks!!

We always just do Disney Springs on arrival day.

-I would round your landing time to 1pm, and say that it'll take half an hour to deplane, pick up bags (if you are) and then find your way to the ME. -Then another 30mins to just get to Disney property, and that's if you're the last people onto the bus & the first resort dropped off.
So it's already 2pm, then you check in, find your room, change, maybe shower, and head out, waiting for a bus, and taking say 20 mins to get to MK, it'll be 3/3:30pm, maybe 4pm, and in all honesty that's the most heavily crowded time of day. People are there for the parade, leaving from the parade, and coming in for the evening stuff already. It's crowded, hot, lines are long everywhere, and there's not much to do entertainment wise until the nighttime stuff starts.
Plus it's your travel day so everyone might be super tired.

Hit up DTD, explore the shops, have a dinner, qs or ts, DTD has some of the best QS on property!! It's enough Disney to give everyone the excitement but not overload them on day 1.

Yea I do like the idea of just relaxing / eating the first night then having a fresh start saturday morning to experience MK. I'm just worried that if we don't use the partial day we won't have enough time to do all of the parks.

We are careful not to book too much on arrival day because the airlines can be a bit unpredictable at times, and Orlando traffic can be a bear. Depending on the time you land I would plan to enjoy the resort area, Disney Springs, and you can still do a character meal in a resort. There are plenty of fun things to do without going into the parks, and unless you have an annual pass I would hate to buy a ticket for a day that I may only get a few hours. Have a great time!

We ALWAYS hit MK our first day, and with kids 7 and 4, you bet that is where I would go. I remember our first trip, we were at the resort and were eating in the Food Court at Sports and someone said, "What do you want to do now?" I immediately replied "I want to go to the MK!". Keep in mind I was 42 at the time but had never been to Disney. I was just as excited as any small kid, and I don't think I could have stayed away.

So my suggestion would be to go to MK. You just can't beat it. Do advance check in and with a little but if luck, you MIGHT make it in time for the 3;00 parade.

Our arrivals are a lot earlier than yours but even with your time if you're at an Epcot resort I suggest World Showcase. We usually manage to get to Board Walk before 11 and then right on to the International Gateway. The pic below is our first 'ride'.

Bill From PA

Personally, on arrival day I am super anxious to get into the parks. :D I know you like to do MK first, but if you are worried about not getting everything done, I would maybe suggest Hollywood Studios for a short-ish day. Fewer things to experience, and with FastPass you could probably get them all done and completely check this park off your list. If they still have Star Wars fireworks running, they are FABULOUS and would be a festive start. (Or maybe see Fantasmic - I'm personally not a huge fan, but I know a lot of people LOVE this show and it might be a good kickoff experience if its to your taste.)

Or, if MK has a Halloween party that night, you would probably arrive just in time for the party! That would start your trip off with a bang!

Recently I did an arrival day at Epcot, which worked out great. I rode my fave Future World attractions (Spaceship Earth, Figment, etc), had dinner in the WSC and caught Illuminations. It was not overly late or exhausting, but I was able to get a lot done. It's not MK, but to me seeing that big geodesic sphere in Epcot upon arrival screams "DISNEY!!!" to me almost as much.

I'm totally NOT a Disney Springs fan. Personally, I would pick a character dinner (1900 Park Fare is what comes to mind) before dinner in DS for arrival night if you decide against making it a park day.

We have done it both ways, sometimes we go right to a park and sometimes we just settle in to the resort and go to dinner. Last summer was out 1st trip with FP+ so we headed to MK on arrival day (hit the park around 4) and I had booked FP starting at 545. We were able to do 7DMT, SM and HM with FP and also did IASW, dumbo Mickey's philharmagic people mover and hall of Presidents on that first night before Wishes started. It took the pressure off of our RD MK morning, having done a lot already.

Yea I do like the idea of just relaxing / eating the first night then having a fresh start saturday morning to experience MK. I'm just worried that if we don't use the partial day we won't have enough time to do all of the parks.

First of all, please remember that you will not get it all done. You could be in the parks for two weeks and you would not get it all in, so in my opinion, it is best not to try.

We generally do not hit a park the first day unless we get to the resort early. We get settled, have something to eat and maybe swim. We like a character meal for dinner if there are kids with us. If you think you have time, I would book Garden Grill in Epcot, or H&V in DHS and then see what the kids are up to doing after that. If not then head back to the resort for an early bed so you are not dragging before you even get started. You can always go to a resort for a Character meal as well. Animal Kingdom should have evening entertainment by then, so you may want to head there and plan on dinner at the Tusker House. I really would not start at MK that late in the day because after traveling and excitement, even if the kids are exhausted it will be very hard to drag them out. That can set the rest of the trip up to be a mess.

I may be in the minority, but on a short trip I would skip the party. It is expensive and while we love this experience, I think you may be trying to get too much in. I would hit the MK on a party day at RD< and then stay til 7. You can schedule dinner before 7, maybe at the Crystal Palace, and then leave for the night

I will go against the majority and say go to MK! We always go to the park on arrival day because we can't stand to wait!! On a multi-day ticket, adding one more day is a minimal price increase ($15??). So, I don't feel like it's a wasted ticket day. We usually fly in around noon, and take ME. I pack a carry on with our "park essentials" in it so we can change clothes/shoes and head to the parks as soon as we check in at the resort. The checked luggage may not arrive at your resort or room for several hours by ME, so if you have to wait for that to arrive to go to the parks, it may eat a lot of your time. If our room is not ready, we just leave our carry on bags with Bell services. Yes, it is a hot time of day and lines will have built up by then, but with FP+, you can book 3 headliners and then meet some characters, have a character meal perhaps, and then lines will hopefully go down. I was the same as you, wanting my kids first "Disney" experience to be MK, not another park. We stayed at BLT, so that made this plan much easier than it would from some of the other resorts, so I guess you have to consider that (no bus needed from BLT to MK). You can also use this afternoon to get some PhotoPass pictures of your family in front of the castle, all over the park, when you are not as rushed to get to rides like you are on a RD morning. Either way, it sounds like a great trip!!

Our biggest problems happen when I have plans that are set in stone. I think I would have 2 options and pick the one that you feel like at the time. 1.) hang out at the resort, swim, eat at the resort depending on where you are staying. 2.) If you aren't tired, have a quicker ME transport and the kids are happy-- go to MK and eat at a counter service there for supper. A third option would be a reservation somewhere like Ohana and watch the fireworks on the beach after you eat.

I think that being flexible is the key to having a good vacation with kids. Plus, I would check the wait times before heading to the MK. September should be good, but on busy days... heading to a park in the afternoon can be a recipe for disappointment!

The Hoop Dee Doo Revue is a great way to start a Disney trip, IMO. It is a great introduction to the Disney spirit-good food, a fun, entertaining family show with lots of laughs-it really can set the tone of your whole vacation.

...Should we jump right into magic kingdom? I really want that to be the first park of the trip just because it seems so magical for kids and it's what I picture when I think of being there. Or should we take it easy.. go to DS and eat? I know the next morning we will do MK and hopefully mickeys halloween party (according to mytouringplans.Com that is one of the expected dates for it) if we don't do a park friday evening we will have to fit all four parks into 4 days plus our flight doesn't leave until 6pm on the 21st so we could do a morning there too. We already have park hopper tickets for friday-wed. Anyways I guess my question is what do you guys think the best park itinerary would be? Thanks!!
Hi!
I would not go to any park that late in the day if you plan on your first park to be MK. When arriving at our resort later than 2 PM, we always opted to go to the pool, explore the resort, take the boat (from POR) to DTD, now Disney Springs. Your boys could and would spend hours at the LEGO store, then a not-too-late dinner and to bed to get an early start for your very first MK visit.

Pool for us. We drop the backs and hit the pool. Last few times we have done the 1,008 mile 16 hour drive (straight through) instead of flying.

After 16+ hours in the car, a nice swim will relax and stretch you out. We tend to arrive right at noon. Spend 4-5 hours swimming, then hit Epcot for dinner and Illuminations.

I would say it depends on a few things… if there's a party that night and you won't have tix, you'd only be able to stay in MK for a few hours so not worth it. Are you morning or night people? If you're a morning person, why not have a resort table service and then get in fairly early so you can be bright eyed for rope drop the next morning? Even if you will have a fairly early night, if the price difference isn't too much, I would consider a park with tiering so you can knock out one of the Tier 1s the first night.

And this is totally me, but I don't get it when people say to have a relaxing night at Disney Springs. I know it's not as crazy as the parks, but a crowded outdoor mall doesn't sound relaxing to me. Check out this pic from easywdw.com. Ugh.

edgsff148.jpg

You can get a lot done on arrival day, even if you show up later in the evening. Here's an example from last summer when we arrived at MK at 8 pm. The park was open until midnight. It happened to be an EMH morning so a lot of guests had left or were leaving when we arrived. It's well worth the extra $10-12 per person to add a day to a multi-day ticket.

Big Thunder 3x
Splash Mtn 2x
Space Mtn 2x
Mine Train (10 min wait right a closing time)
Pirates
Jungle Cruise
Haunted Mansion
Pooh
Peter Pan
Speedway
Barnstormer 2x

We also watched the parade and fireworks and had a couple of Dole Whips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter