Are your kids banned from watching certain shows?

Can I ask what the problem is with Chowder and Flapjack? DS5 watches them from time to time and I must admit to not listening to the content properly.
I have banned a show called Tracey McBean, its a cartoon but I didnt like the attitude on it. He also would very rarely get to watch Spongebob or The Simpsons but they wouldnt be banned as such.

I have to say growing up I loved loved loved TGIF... Full house is an all time fave. Boy meets world. Family matter.Perfect strangers. Step by Step.

And the classics.. different strokes, the cosby show, who's the boss, growing pains.. the list is endless.

And I really do not think there is anything wrong with those shows. I loved them.

We banned Calliou and Barney I figured if my trusted Daycare provider banned it, she did so with very good reason lol :lmao: And I was right! when DH and I were first dating DSS was allowed to watch anything and age 3, including powerrangers after watching that show he would attempt to beat on other kids, pets and he would be trashing and kicking and punching anything near him, including DD who was also 3. I put my foot down and said to DH (at the time was a BF) that if he continued to allow his ds to watch that show then I could not allow DD to come over to be his victim. DH didn't even realize DSS behavior after watching these fighting shows. He did ended up banning them until this spring while on spring break and spending time at Grandma's, she bought a power rangers video knowing it was banned but thinking that since DSS is 10 now and more mature he could handle it and DS isn't as destrctive as DSS was. It was a disaster! She threw the DVD it in the trash. DSS became so violent he was drop kicking her dogs, DS ran and hid under grandma's bed because he was getting used as a punching bag by DSS and DD would just scream at DSS when he came near her (she remembered the beatings). We honestly never thought it would still be a problem at age 10 and were shocked ourselves. So Violent shows (even though they may be geared towards kids) are banned...for very good reason!

Also because of DSS scarey shows are banned, he has problems sleeping at night as it is and scary shows (even ones geared towards kids) make it worse.

So for those that say its all in how you parent are not 100% right. It really depends on the kid too, but in our house if one kid is not allowed to watch something then no kid is.

TV on School nights doesn't happen here either, by the time they have participated in their extra curricular activities completed homework practiced piano and other music intstruments, and we make them read 30 minutes a night minimum, it is bath and bedtime. On the weekend we have a movie night

My kids all love Wipeout, Ceasar milan, cake boss/ace of cakes, The last airbender, and Mike Holmes (Holmes on Home and Homes inspections) We PVR these shows for rainy days or here in Saskatchewan Snowy days lol!

You are correct, PP- it is a mix of how you parent and the child. DS can watch the most disturbing shows on Animal Planet and he takes it all in stride, DD runs screaming from the room. Seriously, blood and guts have no effect on him and I faint at the thought of blood, and yes he wants to go into the medical profession.

DD is a lot more sensitive than DS, so her choice of shows reflect that. She handles relationship material better than DS.

So, parent to each child and none of us are doing it wrong. We are doing it to what we know our children can handle.

and for the record, I cannot stand Ed, edd, and Eddy; Teletubbies; and Billy and Mandy- although Billy and Mandy are starting to grow on me. None have been banned, I just wait to see what the children choose not to watch on their own- which I have to say they do say Ed is stupid.- yeah!

our current DVR is set to- Whale Wars, Ghost Hunters, Wizards of Waverly Place, iCarly and Gavin and Stacey(mine).

Good luck to everyone- I am positive our parents had the same discussion.

We banned Calliou and Barney I figured if my trusted Daycare provider banned it, she did so with very good reason lol :lmao: And I was right! when DH and I were first dating DSS was allowed to watch anything and age 3, including powerrangers after watching that show he would attempt to beat on other kids, pets and he would be trashing and kicking and punching anything near him, including DD who was also 3. I put my foot down and said to DH (at the time was a BF) that if he continued to allow his ds to watch that show then I could not allow DD to come over to be his victim. DH didn't even realize DSS behavior after watching these fighting shows. He did ended up banning them until this spring while on spring break and spending time at Grandma's, she bought a power rangers video knowing it was banned but thinking that since DSS is 10 now and more mature he could handle it and DS isn't as destrctive as DSS was. It was a disaster! She threw the DVD it in the trash. DSS became so violent he was drop kicking her dogs, DS ran and hid under grandma's bed because he was getting used as a punching bag by DSS and DD would just scream at DSS when he came near her (she remembered the beatings). We honestly never thought it would still be a problem at age 10 and were shocked ourselves. So Violent shows (even though they may be geared towards kids) are banned...for very good reason!

Also because of DSS scarey shows are banned, he has problems sleeping at night as it is and scary shows (even ones geared towards kids) make it worse.

So for those that say its all in how you parent are not 100% right. It really depends on the kid too, but in our house if one kid is not allowed to watch something then no kid is.

TV on School nights doesn't happen here either, by the time they have participated in their extra curricular activities completed homework practiced piano and other music intstruments, and we make them read 30 minutes a night minimum, it is bath and bedtime. On the weekend we have a movie night

My kids all love Wipeout, Ceasar milan, cake boss/ace of cakes, The last airbender, and Mike Holmes (Holmes on Home and Homes inspections) We PVR these shows for rainy days or here in Saskatchewan Snowy days lol!

I am not trying to be rude but do you really believe that a 10 year old beat up the dog because he watched Power Rangers? Unless the child has other issues I cannot even imagine that. I know all kids are different but I think a typically developing child would know not to do things like beat people up at age 10. At least that has been my experience. YMMV.

I don't have any kids yet but thought this was an interesting thread. I didn't have any shows banned when I was a kid, up to and including MASH, Hill Street Blues and that weird show Twin Peaks.

I learned how to read at 3. Really read, not Dr. Seuss read so I usually read instead of watching TV. As i got older, it got to be pointless to ban shows for me because I would just read something that was far more inappropiate or look up words I didn't understand. So my parents figured if I could read it someplace then I could certainly hear it on TV.

All of that being said I didn't smart talk my parents because I was scared of them. I never got a spanking or a beating in my life. I was just scared to emulate any of the stuff that I saw on tv. I knew better because I was scared of them. I knew not to interrupt their conversations, I knew the world did not revolve around me and I knew that certain behaviors would not be tolerated EVER.

Yes the kid shows are horrible today. I had good cartoons like He-man and She-Ra but Degrassi has been around forever and the after school specials always made me laugh. The point is, if your kids fear you from an early age, they will not smart mouth you or say inappropiate things and embarrass you or flail about the store because they don't get their way.

Worked for my parents, now they are my best friends. I am still a little afraid of my grandma though.

Hi.lar.i.ous.

i dont understand why you are blocking shows like Icarly and Suite Life and especially Good Luck Charlie.

You talk about the "sassiness" and there behavior. I hate to tell ya but thats how teens are! You say that on Suite Life the fact there dating at such a young age is innappropriate. Im there age and i have friends with boyfriends. Its not innappropriate. Thats the way teens are.

You also talk about there parents not being around they just go out on there own. Ya teenagers do that too. Me and my friends go out on our own. We go everywhere movies, mall,. We went to NYC (my friends parents were there we just shopped while they waited outside!)

No matter what teenagers are teenagers and keeping them from watching certain shows wont change that!

Now i understand like MTV and stuff.. I mean who wants there 9 year old watching Jersey Shore? No one. Hopefully.

Its shows that are meant for kids that im confused about. Why stop them from watching them in fear there gonna be that way when theyll be that way anyway?

OP HERE! This is exactly my point and why DH and I decided to ban these shows. Our kids ARE NOT TEENAGERS. They are 9 (soon to be 10 ) and 8 yrs old. I do understand that this is how TEENAGERS act but I plan on keeping my kids young for as long as possible. :rolleyes:

i dont understand why you are blocking shows like Icarly and Suite Life and especially Good Luck Charlie.

You talk about the "sassiness" and there behavior. I hate to tell ya but thats how teens are! You say that on Suite Life the fact there dating at such a young age is innappropriate. Im there age and i have friends with boyfriends. Its not innappropriate. Thats the way teens are.

You also talk about there parents not being around they just go out on there own. Ya teenagers do that too. Me and my friends go out on our own. We go everywhere movies, mall,. We went to NYC (my friends parents were there we just shopped while they waited outside!)

No matter what teenagers are teenagers and keeping them from watching certain shows wont change that!

Now i understand like MTV and stuff.. I mean who wants there 9 year old watching Jersey Shore? No one. Hopefully.

Its shows that are meant for kids that im confused about. Why stop them from watching them in fear there gonna be that way when theyll be that way anyway?

I don't know how old you are, but my kids are 12 and 14 and they're not "sassy" or self-centered or anything at all like the teenagers on TV.

Of course, I never banned anything - I never had to. Whenever shows like the Suite Life came on, my kids would roll their eyes and change the channel. "That's stupid," they'd say. "No one really acts like that."

My 14yo daughter calls herself a "nerd". I don't have any issue with her having a boyfriend, but she says boys are "too much work". She's very much into her poetry and fanfiction. Me, I think she's just a really nice, interesting young woman. She spent 2 weeks in London and Paris this summer, but she wasn't there to shop. She took over 800 pictures of parks and museums and came home with just two new dresses... and only because her grandmother insisted on going shopping at least once.

Just because you are a teenager doesn't mean you have to conform to the popular idea of what a teenager is. You don't have to be all about boys and clothes. You can have your own interests and hobbies.

We're all individuals! ;) (Except for that guy over there...)

I really prefer my kid not watch many of the live action shows on the Disney Channel.
I just think it is part of the dumming down of the world, not just America.
We let them watch it on occasion, banning things really does not work IMO.

If you want to ban them ban them, but keep in mind when you ban something they will become obsessed with seeing it IMO. They will just see it elsewhere.

I also don't like them watching some of the crude cartoons that pass for entertainment these days. Is farting for 20 minutes so funny?
That's why I stopped listening to Howard Stern show after his divorce, it's just not that funny to me. It just turned into endless fart jokes so I changed the channel.

I don't allow sponge bob. That is pretty much the only show I ban. I don't have a problem with my kids sassing me so I allow Disney channel shows. I will occasionally watch it with them. We will talk about the poor decisions made by the kids on the show. My 10 year old's favorite channel is the Discovery Health channel. While this isn't great for my 8 year old, my 10 year old loves it and can handle it. My parents didn't put limits on what we could watch but 30 years ago we didn't have the same shows.

If you want to ban them ban them, but keep in mind when you ban something they will become obsessed with seeing it IMO. They will just see it elsewhere.

It's an argumentative reply, but, this sentiment (posted by more than one poster) is like saying you shouldn't bother with any boundaries for your children because boundaries will just create rebellious children that become obsessed with breaking the rules and will find a way to break them. I can't believe people really think that way.

I think that situations vary greatly. How things are run in the household can make a big difference. Of course, the temptation will be great if there is more than one television in a house, especiallly if there are designated "kid tvs" or worse, tvs in private bedrooms. And if the channel with banned shows is watched at all, and thus, the previews/commercials for the banned shows are seen, yeah, the kids have to overcome a virtual bombardment of temptation which is difficult for anyone to deal with. Try being on a diet and watching any tv, you suddenly realize just how much food is consumed on tv and how many food related commercials there are.

But it seems to me after reading through this thread that those that are set boundaries on which shows are acceptable seem to also limit tv watching in general. Not that anyone's life revolves around the tv, but certainly, the temptation to break the rules can definitely vary across households for a variety of reasons.

I don't ban any Nick, Cartoon Network or Disney shows. There was a time I did but my kids are old enough to understand that what they see on TV is not real life and that the kids, adults, stupid immature older brothers, sea sponges, starfish and squid (in general) do not really act like they see on TV.
We definitely do not allow Adult Swim, MTV, or the Playboy Channel :)

It's an argumentative reply, but, this sentiment (posted by more than one poster) is like saying you shouldn't bother with any boundaries for your children because boundaries will just create rebellious children that become obsessed with breaking the rules and will find a way to break them. I can't believe people really think that way.

I think that situations vary greatly. How things are run in the household can make a big difference. Of course, the temptation will be great if there is more than one television in a house, especiallly if there are designated "kid tvs" or worse, tvs in private bedrooms. And if the channel with banned shows is watched at all, and thus, the previews/commercials for the banned shows are seen, yeah, the kids have to overcome a virtual bombardment of temptation which is difficult for anyone to deal with. Try being on a diet and watching any tv, you suddenly realize just how much food is consumed on tv and how many food related commercials there are.

But it seems to me after reading through this thread that those that are set boundaries on which shows are acceptable seem to also limit tv watching in general. Not that anyone's life revolves around the tv, but certainly, the temptation to break the rules can definitely vary across households for a variety of reasons.

I think there's a difference between setting reasonable limits and outright banning something all the other kids get to enjoy.

My mother refused to allow a TV in our house. And yes, I was TOTALLY obsessed with watching TV.

It's hard when you go to school and everyone's talking about something, and then you go home and all your parents do is sneer about it and put down the same things your friends like so much. If you embrace your parents tastes, you're rejecting your friends. If you embrace your friends tastes, you're rejecting your parents. It's a kind of culture shock.

FWIW, my daughter was extensively tested as a small kiddo (basically she started reading at 2, and was a little too bright for her own good). The psychiatrist praised us for encouraging her to watch the same TV as other kids - she said it would help our daughter fit into the broader society and lessen her chances of becoming a weird outcast loner. Because apparently our kiddo needed all the help she could get. ;)

I think there's a difference between setting reasonable limits and outright banning something all the other kids get to enjoy.

My mother refused to allow a TV in our house. And yes, I was TOTALLY obsessed with watching TV.

It's hard when you go to school and everyone's talking about something, and then you go home and all your parents do is sneer about it and put down the same things your friends like so much. If you embrace your parents tastes, you're rejecting your friends. If you embrace your friends tastes, you're rejecting your parents. It's a kind of culture shock.

FWIW, my daughter was extensively tested as a small kiddo (basically she started reading at 2, and was a little too bright for her own good). The psychiatrist praised us for encouraging her to watch the same TV as other kids - she said it would help our daughter fit into the broader society and lessen her chances of becoming a weird outcast loner. Because apparently our kiddo needed all the help she could get. ;)

My family didn't even own a tv until I was in 4th grade. I couldn't watch all kinds of things. There would be times when I would be told to leave the room in the middle of a show that suddenly went bad. There used to be a difference between prime time news and the 10-oclock news. I was definitely supposed to be out of earshot of the tv before the 10oclock news came on.

My husband's family was opposite. His father thought they were watching too much television and decided (somwhere around 4th grade) that he would just get rid of it altogether. He was a huge football fan, mom loved shopping; they spent Sundays at the mall where the mom could shop while the dad watched his team play football, the only tv show he cared about. DH didn't have a tv in his house until he lived offcampus.

In fact, his parents find themselves in similar circumstances again, and because we happen to live nearby (for the first time in our 13+ years of marriage), we host football parties for every game so they can come over and watch.:rotfl: And YES, we have to flip away from commercials throughout the games because we censor the tv.

You had a similar situation with restricted tv that seems to have caused issues. DH and I didn't experience this kind of angst. Dh and I never felt like we missed out on tv when we grew up. You may have been obsessed, but it didn't happen like that for the two of us.

And this is why I said that situations vary. Any blanket statement that tries to have all families and situations fit into any one BEST way is problematic. There are too many variables. But kids, parents, families are unique and each can do beautifully with different and even conflicting rules.

Everyone is responsible to be the best parent they can be. Hopefully, the household is such that the decisions made are beneficial. Parents can make mistakes. But hopefully, when every parent dies, they have no regrets in their decisions because they made them from a conviction of heart as to what they thought was best. You can't do better than that.

A polling thread like this brings out the wide range of parenting styles and happenings. I think it's interesting to read.

I am not trying to be rude but do you really believe that a 10 year old beat up the dog because he watched Power Rangers? Unless the child has other issues I cannot even imagine that. I know all kids are different but I think a typically developing child would know not to do things like beat people up at age 10. At least that has been my experience. YMMV.

Well that is an interesting way to say I am making it up! Im not, it is the truth. DSS is ADHD. I would believe in his mind he is pretending and having fun but as most ADHD kids he doesn't think hey maybe the dog doesn't like to get drop kicked so I shouldn't, no its more like Whoa the guy did that on the show I wanna try that.

So in his mind I can see him thinking all sophisticated-like - Hey that was a really neat move that guy did - and it comes out more like - hey watch this chop chop kick kick punch, thats cool.

I also said I was shocked too that it still had an effect on him at age 10 but it did, he is a very easily excited kid and once his meds wear off, exciting things can really get him bouncing.

Have you read my Pre trip report? All I will say is ADHD kids and Metal BBQ skewers doen't mix! :scared1:

So be thankful for your prefectly mature 10 year old. My two are not...I am perfectly aware of it because I live it every day :scared1:

Well that is an interesting way to say I am making it up! Im not, it is the truth. DSS is ADHD. I would believe in his mind he is pretending and having fun but as most ADHD kids he doesn't think hey maybe the dog doesn't like to get drop kicked so I shouldn't, no its more like Whoa the guy did that on the show I wanna try that.

So in his mind I can see him thinking all sophisticated-like - Hey that was a really neat move that guy did - and it comes out more like - hey watch this chop chop kick kick punch, thats cool.

I also said I was shocked too that it still had an effect on him at age 10 but it did, he is a very easily excited kid and once his meds wear off, exciting things can really get him bouncing.

Have you read my Pre trip report? All I will say is ADHD kids and Metal BBQ skewers doen't mix! :scared1:

So be thankful for your prefectly mature 10 year old. My two are not...I am perfectly aware of it because I live it every day :scared1:
I really don't mean to be mean here, but my kid would only ever try something like that once. They would know better the next time. I have dealt both in the classroom and in a home situation with ADHD kids, and I just don't think you can blame that kind of behavior(hitting the dog) on ADHD impulsiveness or watching power rangers at age 10. By that point they need to have learned enough coping skills to mitigate their actions to enough of a degree to realize that hurting an animal is NEVER ok. Just my 2 cents here, but perhaps if the consequences were severe enough he could remember the next time not to hit the dog? A mature 10 year old doesn't just materialize, they are taught the behavior. Not saying that you are not teaching it, just that I don't think ADHD should ever be an excuse for something like harming an animal.

I really don't mean to be mean here, but my kid would only ever try something like that once. They would know better the next time. I have dealt both in the classroom and in a home situation with ADHD kids, and I just don't think you can blame that kind of behavior(hitting the dog) on ADHD impulsiveness or watching power rangers at age 10. By that point they need to have learned enough coping skills to mitigate their actions to enough of a degree to realize that hurting an animal is NEVER ok. Just my 2 cents here, but perhaps if the consequences were severe enough he could remember the next time not to hit the dog? A mature 10 year old doesn't just materialize, they are taught the behavior. Not saying that you are not teaching it, just that I don't think ADHD should ever be an excuse for something like harming an animal.

I remember the one time my then-4yo son, in a fit of temper, took a sideways kick at one of our cats as it walked by. My husband saw it and I swear right in that instant we all saw his head explode. Like, almost literally. He was Scary Dad.

My son was (and continues to be) very, very careful around animals after that. Like you said - he knows better now.

On the other hand, it can be hard to be consistent with setting limits in a blended family. And if a child - even occasionally - gets away with hitting other children, there's no reason he should think twice about hitting the family dog. Especially if "thinking twice" is hard for him anyway. And even MORE so if he's ever seen anyone else in the family treating the dog unkindly (screaming at it, hitting it with rolled up newspaper, yanking it around by the neck - all the "normal" stuff people do to their dogs). Banning "violent" shows probably helped, even if his issues were obviously lots bigger than just being allowed to watch inappropriate stuff on TV (or even having ADHD).

So... while I'm naturally proud of my kids, I also have sympathy for someone coming in "late", as it were. We were lucky. They're just doing whatever they can to make things work.

My DD is 11. She recently confessed that she had been staying up late in her room and watching Degrassi. Sounds like most of you have little ones, so I don't know if you've heard of this show, but it is so full of teen angst that it's School shootings, date rape, cheating, teen pregnancy, gay beatings, crack head parents in prision, etc.
Yes, I know that stuff happens in real life, but this show pushes it to the limit.
If I were a kid watching this show, I'd be scared to go to school.
No more Degrassi.
Degrassi covers these real life issues in a very realistic way with real consequences for the characters. I think the early episodes of this show may be appropriate for your daughter because season one starts with the characters in grade 7. Of course you would watch them first as i am in no position to judge what is appropriate for someone elses child :). I am only commenting because i grew up with the old degrassi and have watched all the new series.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter