Are you a dog or cat person?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by luvgoing2disney, Jul 28, 2013.

?

Are you a dog or cat person?

1. Dog

2. Cat

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cluvsdisney

cluvsdisney DIS Veteran

I'm a cat person. Dogs are ok but I wouldn't want one.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. hodgieha

hodgieha Mouseketeer

Dog person. But own both

4. LBIJim

LBIJim Satisfied With Four

I always considered myself a dog person, but I never had one. Didn't have one growing up, and I always used to say I'd get a dog someday. But that day never came; the time was never right. DW and I like to go away frequently on weekends and you just can't leave a dog alone that long. Besides, they're too much work for us now, almost like having another child to care for.

About a year ago our daughter in Florida brought us a cat she found as a stray. She already has two cats and just couldn't take care of another. DW always wanted a cat; I was hesitant. But we've grown attached to him and now I'm glad we have him.

Jim

5. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

I would say both, but I prefer cats because they are so simple to take care of. Not sure that makes me a cat person or just lazy.

I have 2 dogs now. I have had cats longer than I have had dogs.

The dogs are coming up on 9yso. When they are gone....I AM DONE.:rolleyes1

6. torinsmom

torinsmom <font color=red>I have someone coming to scoop<br>

I'm definitely more of a cat person and so is my DS18. We both like dogs, but not as much as cats. I love the for the same reasons many say they don't like them. I like that they are independent, and could take me or leave me most of the time. I swear, when I had a dog, he would come running back to lick me if I had hit him with a baseball bat(I never would have of course), whereas my cats will "punish" me for days if I accidently step on a tail. They think we are their servants, LOL, and I like that spunk.

7. Couchy

Couchy DIS Veteran

Dog person for sure

8. U2_rocks!

U2_rocks! <font color=coral>The DISer formerly known as U2_r

Yup.

Puppies are sooooooo cute, but way too much work for us. We are a busy family. Plus, they grow up into adults so quickly (see below).

Adult dogs can be fun, but I am not a fan of their natural doggy smell (even when freshly bathed) - it bothers me for some reason. So no dog is allowed on our furniture or in our beds, whereas our cats are because to me they have no smell (the exception being when they've just come in out the grass - they smell really sweet then!). Dogs are also so needy - can't stand when they are underfoot, I trip over them and curse! I don't respect a dog when it is too needy. I like the fact that cats are independent and know their own minds. I have raised my kids to be independent and not whiny or clingy, so I sure don't want an animal like that!

9. Minnesota!

Minnesota! Shoeless in Minnesota

Ditto. I love animals - cats a bit more than dogs - but I really really love my life without them. No rushing home to take care of them, no boarding when on vacation, no messes to clean up inside or out, etc.

We are talking about getting a cat, but we are both dragging our feet on it..

10. Colleen27

Colleen27 DIS Veteran

Both, depending on the timing. I love animals in general, really, but certain types of pet ownership are better than others for different stages of life.

I love how low-maintenance cats are and had cats for years before the kids came along, but don't have any right now. Our last cat kept escaping on the heels of a kid going in or out, and eventually fell prey to one of the very reasons I don't let my cats outdoors. :( I'll have a cat again, but only when the kids are older and more aware of the need to keep cats inside.

We have two dogs right now but they're probably our last two; I can't see having dogs once we're empty nesters and traveling more but to me dogs and childhood just go together. I hate the puppy phase and all the training, but both our dogs are adults now, well behaved and quite easy-going, and they're really nice to have around. They also double as an alarm system - they're teddy bears up close, but to hear the two of them barking together would be enough to scare off any would-be intruder.

We also have two bunnies that are better pets than I ever would have imagined, but again aren't something I'd have if it weren't for the kids because they do need a lot of care and attention. My older DD is involved in 4H and plans to start showing the rabbits next year (and chickens the following, God help me! :crazy2:).

11. Luvchefmic

Luvchefmic DIS Veteran

Horse :) ok couldn't resist because I adore mine but dogs and cats Don't have a cat anymore, miss him though :sad2:

12. jenny105

jenny105 DIS Veteran

Dog. The only reason I have a cat now is because I moved in with my boyfriend and he is a cat person. Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

13. torinsmom

torinsmom <font color=red>I have someone coming to scoop<br>

That's why we love them, LOL.

I have had dog owners tell me they would never scoop litter box, but then they pick their dog's poop up off the ground, LOL. Poop is poop to me.

14. elgerber

elgerber <font color=deeppink>Sometimes you gotta bite the

I voted dog, but think both should be an option, since I love cats also.

15. Squirlz

Squirlz DIS Veteran

Cats. I've had them all my life and I have a real way with them.

16. Ginacrella

Ginacrella California Girl

I have a pug named Disney. :)

17. Pooh67_68

Pooh67_68 <font color=teal>My head looked like a brillo pad<

Big dogs

18. Hollymom1229

Hollymom1229 Art's Girl

I answered dog, but both would be a more accurate response. Right now DH and I have two cats. He's a cat person and our current lifestyle is more conducive to cats. I had the most beloved Shepherd/Husky mix for 13 years though and all animals should be as wonderful as she was.

19. scoutie

scoutie DIS Veteran

Neither, really. I had cats growing up, and a cat as an adult, until she died a few years ago. Dealing with cat pee on the carpet, scooping poop, and fur everywhere doesn't appeal to me again. I respect and appreciate big dogs, but will never have one because of the dog slobber, poop, pee and maintenance. I can't get on board with little dogs.

I have volunteered at animal shelters and give money to animal charities, but I don't want an animal in my house. :) Three kids keep me busy enough!

20. Diznygrl

Diznygrl Disneyland Fanatic

I love dogs, but I am definitely a cat person. Funny, I never thought I would be, but then I got a cat and then suddenly I was all about cats. :laughing: My first cat died about five years ago, but somehow within that time period I have acquired four others. :rolleyes1

I'd love to have a dog, in theory. But they really are a lot more work than I'm prepared to commit to for the lifetime of the dog. There are dogs that I dogsit sometimes. I love them, but I find them to be too emotionally needy, following me around wherever I go and I feel like I have to engage them and keep them entertained all the time or else I feel bad that they're just lying around sleeping most of the day or looking all sad. With cats, that is SO not a problem, LOL. They are affectionate and like to be played with/petted too, but for the most part they'd rather be left to their own devices, and I'm ok with that.

21. njmom47

njmom47 <font color=blue>He's such a fiend!<br><font color

I love both cats and dogs, but have been a cat owner all of my adult life.
    I am allergic to them, but having a dog in the future is a possibility.
    I voted cat.