Are those for personal use?

Let me shed a little light on the situation. I met Mark at the Magic Kingdom today...

I'm sure the only reason no one asked him if he was a pro today is because of MNSSHP. They probably thought this was a costume! The rear view includes a tripod. It was fun to see him negotiate the turnstiles.

And by the way - he's just as nice in person as he is on the boards. I had a great time hanging out with you Mark!

slightly OT, for those people who won't wear a vest because they don't want to draw attention, or think their families will disown them,, does this really draw any more attention than Mark's setup...??

photographerB-vi.jpg
photographer2B-vi.jpg

one of the employees grabbed these shots of me at the PA Renn Faire last weekend...

slightly OT, for those people who won't wear a vest because they don't want to draw attention, or think their families will disown them,, does this really draw any more attention than Mark's setup...??

photographerB-vi.jpg
photographer2B-vi.jpg

one of the employees grabbed these shots of me at the PA Renn Faire last weekend...

Getting red x's Mickey88.

I got questioned again today. It was on my way in to Epcot. She was very nice about it. She warned me that I was likely to be stopped many more times.

She confirmed that I would need a guide to shoot professionally and that arranging that was very difficult. I asked what would draw attention from security and she said that shooting backstage or behind construction fences was a major no-no.

My outlandish get up is actuall a vest. It's a belt/vest combo that holds "pods" for lenses and gear. This is my first outing with it. I was inspired by the vest lovers here.

If by "giant white lenses", you mean things like 500mm lenses, I agree. I think that my 70-200mm f2.8 lens (considered giant by some) is ideal for indoor shows.

Mark you are my new hero :banana:

My gf would never let me out out of the house like that...

I got questioned again today. It was on my way in to Epcot. She was very nice about it. She warned me that I was likely to be stopped many more times.

She confirmed that I would need a guide to shoot professionally and that arranging that was very difficult. I asked what would draw attention from security and she said that shooting backstage or behind construction fences was a major no-no.

My outlandish get up is actuall a vest. It's a belt/vest combo that holds "pods" for lenses and gear. This is my first outing with it. I was inspired by the vest lovers here.

If by "giant white lenses", you mean things like 500mm lenses, I agree. I think that my 70-200mm f2.8 lens (considered giant by some) is ideal for indoor shows.

it looks like a good setup but I still think the vest is easier.... everything in one place and it's easier to put on and take off, while eating etc...

I recognized your rig right away Mark - it's the LowePro Street & Field Vest Harness, a very nice modular setup.

I considered one of those myself, but I prefer to tour light when at WDW, with only one lens and a few accessories, so I invented a camera harness of my own that works great for a medium to large SLR with almost any size lens. It works like a charm and is much more comfortable than a neck strap; accessories like spare batts and memory cards go in my pockets or on my belt.

I like being able to go through the "no bag" entrance at the parks and skipping that 20 minute confuse-o-thon at the bag check tables.

I recognized your rig right away Mark - it's the LowePro Street & Field Vest Harness, a very nice modular setup.

I considered one of those myself, but I prefer to tour light when at WDW, with only one lens and a few accessories, so I invented a camera harness of my own that works great for a medium to large SLR with almost any size lens. It works like a charm and is much more comfortable than a neck strap; accessories like spare batts and memory cards go in my pockets or on my belt.

I like being able to go through the "no bag" entrance at the parks and skipping that 20 minute confuse-o-thon at the bag check tables.

they waved me right thru wearing my vest,
I thought that was kind of crazy 20+ pockets ..who knows what I could have been packing...

they do the same thing at the PA renn fairre ??:confused3 :confused3

The lens pouch is big enough to cram small children into! Yeesh. I'll stick with my little ones - hey, I was able to cram both a 28-75mm F2.8 and 10-17mm fisheye into one, with only the lens mount sticking out the top (drawstring tight around it to avoid any droppage...)

Closest I've come to that I guess would be the times in January when I'd have both the DSLR and SLR slung around my neck, bag at my side, and tripod slung across the back...

The good part is that I've gotten away with a couple backstage shots without anyone noticing/caring. :)

:scared1: HOLY COW! That's some gear!! I think I would be too pooped to walk all around the parks. (Of course, if I could convince dh that I need a longer lense as part of a fitness routine :scratchin .... Hmm... you might be on to something! :thumbsup2)

Mickey88, are you carrying your lens with a strap?

they waved me right thru wearing my vest,
I thought that was kind of crazy 20+ pockets ..who knows what I could have been packing...

they do the same thing at the PA renn fairre ??:confused3 :confused3

In the past they have never stopped anyone with a photographers vest (or a fisherman's vest masquerading as a photographers vest!)

But I have been hearing reports over the last two years that folks with multi-pocket vests are being asked to open the pockets for inspection more and more frequently. It's not a universal policy yet; for the time being it seems to be individual CMs taking some personal initiative, but I can see it maybe becoming an official policy in the future.

I've tried wearing a vest a few times in the past, and it is prety comfortable for the most part, but even the lightest cloth vest is just way too hot for me in central Florida. A mesh-back vest might work, but I haven't been able to find one that I like with enough pockets at a reasonable price.

In the past they have never stopped anyone with a photographers vest (or a fisherman's vest masquerading as a photographers vest!)

But I have been hearing reports over the last two years that folks with multi-pocket vests are being asked to open the pockets for inspection more and more frequently. It's not a universal policy yet; for the time being it seems to be individual CMs taking some personal initiative, but I can see it maybe becoming an official policy in the future.

I've tried wearing a vest a few times in the past, and it is prety comfortable for the most part, but even the lightest cloth vest is just way too hot for me in central Florida. A mesh-back vest might work, but I haven't been able to find one that I like with enough pockets at a reasonable price.

my last trip was Feb '06, waved thru with vest, and stopped many times by guests or cast members who thought I was a photopass photographer..

mine cost me 35 bucks,good seller on ebay... 100% cotton, vented back with mesh lining,, 20+ pockets I have 3 khaki and one black, occasionally on really hot days, it's easier to swap out vests at night, rather than washing one..

I'm thinking about altering the back panels, by cutting them at the top, so I can roll it down on really hot days, and reattach with snaps on not so hot days..

:scared1: HOLY COW! That's some gear!! I think I would be too pooped to walk all around the parks. (Of course, if I could convince dh that I need a longer lense as part of a fitness routine :scratchin .... Hmm... you might be on to something! :thumbsup2)

Mickey88, are you carrying your lens with a strap?

yes, it's a lens cradle, great way to carry the lens off camera, and when mounted on the camera it gives better balance and reduces the risk of lens mount damage...

Thanks for the reply, Mickey88. I haven't seen one of those before. It looks very handy!

and I didn't get any trouble whatsoever at WDW or DL carrying around a full-size tripod.

I did! ;)

After dinner at Raglan Road my sister & I went to shoot Pleasure Island. I had been shooting for about 5 minutes when a security guard walked over and
He said I had to stop, that I couldn't use my tri-pod. I was confused and he told me that they we not allowed. I said "oh here at Pleasure Island?" he said "no, all of Disney property" :confused3

I knew he was wrong but didn't know how to prove it.:rolleyes1 He told me I could take pictures just couldn't use the tri-pod. He said "sorry Disney rules" :rolleyes:

I told him I was taking long exposure shots and he told me I could rest in on the railing.:rolleyes:

If I was a quick thinker I would have told him about the two photopass photographers at MGM two nights ago giving me tips on shooting the Hat after Fantasmic! they came over and were quite helpful and never once said I wasn't allowed to use a tripod. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I still got a few shots before the security guard stopped me.;) :)

6-7-07-290.jpg

6-7-07-293.jpg

You can see him walking at me in this one (right in the center):lmao:
6-7-07-286.jpg

I should also mention that I continued to use the tripod for the rest of the night, just not in Pleasure Island :rotfl: I also used in during Spectro, Wishes, Fantasmic!, & Illuminations with no problems.

Wow, Colleen. That is terrible. However, I am not surprised one bit by it. "Un-Pleasureable" Island as we call it will never see one penny from my pocket. I think I mentioned it before but they would not allow my DW in (to drink anyways) because she didn't have a drivers license. She did, however, have her US passport which allowed us to go out o fthe country jsut a week prior. It was our honeymoon and the grief that they gave her at the gate caused us to just walk away and NEVER will we try to go in again. So, like I said, I totally believe that this happened to you because PI has their own rules despite them trying to pass them off as "Disney Rules". They are full of themselves over there.

Thats funny.... a US passport should be better than a state ID.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter