are mobility devices rented from Disney covered under Medicaid/

disneyworldaddict

Mouseketeer
My mother in-law has a leg deformity aquired during a childhood bout with polio, in addition she suffers fro COPD. She never been to Disney but loves watching videos of the parks and resorts. We'd love to bring her with us, even for a short trip, but there is no way she can do the amount of walking required. I've read that Disney offers manual and motorizes rentals and I was wondering if the cost may be covered by Medicaid. If not, is there any rental company that rents and accepts Medicaid? She doesnt require a wheelchair for day to day living but she is unable to walk more than 2 blocks. If anybody has any ideas, suggestions, or any type of information it would be greatly appreciated.

Check post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is near the top of this board of you can follow the link in my signature.

Post 2 has links to a number of companies that DIS posters recommend for renting ECVs (the motorized devices) and wheelchairs. I would contact one or more of them to see if they would deal with Medicaid. They may not bill Medicaid, but might provide you with bills that may then submit to Medicaid.

In order to be reimbursed, she would need a doctor’s order which says she requires the ECV or wheelchair for the trip and why. There is a possibility that Medicaid would not pay for it in any case - either because they will only pay for things that a person requires in their home or because they will only pay for things in the state that the Medicaid is from.

A manual (push) wheelchair would be a lot less expensive, so that is what I would recommend if you are not sure whether it will be reimbursed.

Most of the off-property rental locations, as well as Disney itself, are not medical companies. They would not get involved with any medical insurance, including Medicare or Medicaid.

Care Medical is he only company on the list in Post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs that might be able to assist. I would suggest contacting them for requirements.

Most of the off-property rental locations, as well as Disney itself, are not medical companies. They would not get involved with any medical insurance, including Medicare or Medicaid.

Care Medical is he only company on the list in Post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs that might be able to assist. I would suggest contacting them for requirements.

The first time we rented an ECV for my mom down there, we checked with all the different companies and all said that an ECV would not be covered down there, even with her physician's note. Now granted she is not on medicaid (only medicare) and she also does not use an ECV at home. That may have had something to do with it. I don't really remember. I just know her doctor said she would have to have one and was willing to write whatever she needed to get one, but every company we contacted down there said they did not deal with insurance for ECVs for out of state visitors, whether it be private insurance or medicare.

I think you'll only get opinions here, not true information. I assume that the only way to know if Medicare covers it - is to call & ask Medicare. If they do, request that in writing. Be sure to get the person's name who you spoke to.

As far as I know - Medicare will only pay for a "seat" (wheelchair, ECV, etc) that is used INSIDE your home, not outside. I am only quoting the man at the ECV medical store in Delaware. I do NOT profess to know this as certainty.

Good luck to you. :goodvibes

If she is willing to use a manual w/c I've known people who were able to borrow one from American Legion and other service groups who have had them donated. I would check this out as then you'd have no expense other than the gas/time to pick it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter