Are DVC folks still using the TIW cards? I see they are 150 now..

LoL, Just saw the part that said,If you're not going to tip? Who in the world isn't tipping...We end up tipping 20% minimum & sometimes more, but if someone decided to tip 15% you couldn't blame them..That would be like 5% cash back in their pocket...Tipping $0 would be outright outrageous..No?

With the TIW tip is automatically included. So you tip, but you don't have to add the tip.

And the tip amount added is 18%. So if you would normally tip 15% you are tipping a little high. For us, we normally tip 20%, so we "save" money with the tip included (we will add more for exceptional service - and last trip we had some pretty exceptional service - but we don't bother to go from 18 to 20% unless there is a reason).

We will be able to get three trips off of the TiW card this year, so yes, it was worth it. If just for a single trip or family of 2, then it may just not be worth the hassle to "break even".

I reluctantly bought it last Dec and I just broke even this past month. I probably will not buy again next year at the current $150. I'm local and do several weekend trips but DH & I tend to eat a big lunch and light dinner so it's working but most of the TIW places we choose give either the DVC, Passholder or Disney Visa 10% especially for lunch so next year, we'll forgo. I've been keeping a spreadsheet of our spending & saving w/ it. If we want to do a character meal, I think we'll actually buy the dining plan. I know, I know, I just typed that out loud.

We are getting one for this trip. It will also work for our next trip.

This trip is 10 days. Next trip will be about the same. But we don't eat table service everyday.

My husband doesn't drink, I might have a glass of wine. Two glasses would be a lot for me. So the discount on alcohol won't be much.

And I already get free valet parking since I have handicap plates.

So we went through some calculations to decide which plan we wanted to go with, dining, TiW or just the DVC/AP discount. And this time TiW won.

With the TIW tip is automatically included. So you tip, but you don't have to add the tip.

And the tip amount added is 18%. So if you would normally tip 15% you are tipping a little high. For us, we normally tip 20%, so we "save" money with the tip included (we will add more for exceptional service - and last trip we had some pretty exceptional service - but we don't bother to go from 18 to 20% unless there is a reason).

I have to say, I do like that convenience. It's just one less thing to think about, and it's fairly rare to get bad service at a Disney TS restaurant.

I did almost add on another 20% accidentally the first couple of times! Also, I did something even sillier -- after using it most of the week, we dropped by hurricane hannas from the DHS boat for a drink on the way back to the room. We were almost all the way to the villa before I realized that tip was NOT included in this case because it wasn't a TIW discount! So I had to run all the way back to give the CM his tip! D'oh.

Worth mentioning..... My wife and I PERSONALLY don't like what we consider to be the "low" 18% tip on a TIW meal..... So we almost ALWAYS do a quick calc, then add cash in the tip section on the discounted check.

You can do this :). We consider 18% to be the bare BASELINE - then augment it :).

You are correct.. Sorry. (Auto Added)...So yea basically a 2% cash back so to speak.

Worth mentioning..... My wife and I PERSONALLY don't like what we consider to be the "low" 18% tip on a TIW meal..... So we almost ALWAYS do a quick calc, then add cash in the tip section on the discounted check.

You can do this :). We consider 18% to be the bare BASELINE - then augment it :).

Is this at other places or just Disney?

Because bare baseline to others, is not tipping at all.....I agree for the most part I/we are very good tippers, but bare baseline isn't 18%....
If you have terrible service, you're telling me you're still giving 18% & sometimes more?

You are correct.. Sorry. (Auto Added)...So yea basically a 2% cash back so to speak.

Its not 2% cash back. Leaving out tax for ease of calculation, a $100 check with Tiw will be 20% off which=$80+18% tip on the original bill for a total of $98.00 vs without TIW $100+$18tip=$118.00 total which is considerably more than 2%.

Yes it does!! This is why we are getting it. We have a party of 13 going in Oct and there will be drinks with our meals. I will definitely see savings this first trip.

Quick note I think and I am sure it will be corrected if I am mistaken TIW only can be used for 10 people? And I think the person who's name is on the card is supposed to pay. Of course if you were doing cash that would not matter. However with a party that big I am sure whatever credit card used it would add up he credit card perks quickly. You should just check on things to be sure.

Quick note I think and I am sure it will be corrected if I am mistaken TIW only can be used for 10 people? And I think the person who's name is on the card is supposed to pay. Of course if you were doing cash that would not matter. However with a party that big I am sure whatever credit card used it would add up he credit card perks quickly. You should just check on things to be sure.

Good points that people should definitely know!! You are right it is for 10 so we'll have the 3 kids on separate bill. I am a huge fan of the Cash App so the rest of the party will cash app me the $$ right away or give me cash like you said.

There are just two of us on our WDW trips. At $50 the TIW card was great. At $100 it was marginal. At $150 it doesn't work for us so we no longer have the card.

We've cut back on table service meals because without the TIW discount, those restaurants are not worth the price to us, particularly since some of our favorite places have disappointed us recently. For our next trip, for the first time ever we have not booked any ADRs. We'll eat at a few counter services places and fix some dinners in the room and see how it goes!

This is us. 150 doesn't work for us as well. Restaurants mediocre. Plus we're giving the world a big break to see how horrid crowds and new attractions pan out. So for us, other travel things and Vero/Hilton Head to use the points!

It truly boils down to how you spend.
Signatures for 10 days with the wine flowing, plus pre dinner drinks at the bar after valet parking......

MG

A 20% discount for Club Villian was offered when we were there in September, so now we are @ $158 saved. We bought it in July. I noted it's only good for 12 months, you don't get the extra time you used to. We have trips in December, January, March and May, so we are OK.

Still, it is not the bargain it once was, that's for sure.

We just bought a new one last Saturday (the 17th) and it is still good for 13 months! Ours expires Oct. 31st next year year!!

Yes it sucks that it went up so much but so have the prices on all the food. Price increase % seems out of proportion tho.

FWIW this was a 5 night trip with just the 2 of us - primarily there for F&W which doesn't take it. We STILL saved $75 and change on this trip with using it (had one meal at Raglan Road with 4 people). Also used it at Tiffins for lunch (which was DELICIOUS), the Nomad Lounge for a small plates lunch, The Brown Derby outside Lounge for a quick lunch and Spice Road Table for a couple apps. We have a 6 night family trip with our son in January so we'll recover the other $75 and then some on that trip. Not sure when our next trip after that is yet but we have until September 17th next year to go into profit mode with it.

We would not have tried some of these pricier places like Tiffins without the entire 20% off. 10% off on food only is not enough to get us in the door of some of these places.

Last edited:
Count us among those still using it. Got ours for a quick three day trip to WDW a couple weeks ago and then a couple day stay at Vero. We then will have two longer trips with it. I've always come home and compared it to getting the DDP and we've always come out ahead using the TiW card even with the price increase.

Years ago, we purchased the Dining Plan and thought that was a good value. The tips were included and we were eating a lot of buffet character meals at that time. But when the tips were no longer included, and we did the math, the Dining Plan cost us more money than paying cash. So we purchased a TIW card. At $50, the TIW was a good value since we made two trips within the 1 year window. With the price increases, however, we no longer recoup the cost of the TIW card within a year. On our most recent trips we are eating at a TS meal only every other day. The family prefers counter service along with heavy snacking. The kids also like to eat in the DVC villa. I think they eat out too much in "real life." Staying home is their preference. And we only purchase alcoholic drinks maybe 1-2 times per trip. On our last two trips, I made note of those places with a DVC discount and went that route to save a few dollars.

Its not 2% cash back. Leaving out tax for ease of calculation, a $100 check with Tiw will be 20% off which=$80+18% tip on the original bill for a total of $98.00 vs without TIW $100+$18tip=$118.00 total which is considerably more than 2%.

HuH?????---->:confused3.. What are you talkin about? $118 is what you'd pay with no discount....

The comment I said before about cash back, was not meant to be like they would pay you that that. It strictly meant that for people that tipped on 18% rather than the 20% (savings that is) then they would have a 2% savings.

I don't believe that's the case but either way, the person who owns the card would just collect the cash to make up the payment...

2 times we've gotten lucky... For we own the Chase Freedom card, which offers 5% cash back on certain things each quarter.
Well both times we had the TiW card ,and we happen to go in the quarter that offered 5% back on dining out/ restaurants...Was a nice added plus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter