Are all ADRs like this? Waiting for seating ....

Inspired18

Earning My Ears
At wdw now. Had a 4:25pm garden grill ADR at Epcot tonight, and we didn't sit down until 4:50-4:55ish. Is this normal? Should I plan on a 20-30 minute wait with my other ADRs this week? I'm concerned about leaving time open for possible Jedi training Wednesday at DHS, as we have a Fantasmic lunch package at 12:05. Trying to time it all right, make Fast Passes go smoothly, and leave open time for whatever Jedi slot we get (if we get it!)!!

Any advice? Your experience with ADRs? I know we need to get to DHS before rope drop and run to sign up. I just want to know how much time to allot to these meals! (Mama Italian one for the Fantasmic package)

Thanks!

It's definitely a possibility. We waited about 15-20 for BOG, 20-25 for CRT, 15 for Ohana, 15 for CP, 30 for Coral Reef, 10-15 for Narcoosees and about the same for others.

At wdw now. Had a 4:25pm garden grill ADR at Epcot tonight, and we didn't sit down until 4:50-4:55ish. Is this normal? Should I plan on a 20-30 minute wait with my other ADRs this week? I'm concerned about leaving time open for possible Jedi training Wednesday at DHS, as we have a Fantasmic lunch package at 12:05. Trying to time it all right, make Fast Passes go smoothly, and leave open time for whatever Jedi slot we get (if we get it!)!!

Any advice? Your experience with ADRs? I know we need to get to DHS before rope drop and run to sign up. I just want to know how much time to allot to these meals! (Mama Italian one for the Fantasmic package)

Thanks!

its hit or miss really.
there's been times that i've been seated right away.
there's been times i've been seated within a few minutes.
and there's been times where i've waited 30 minutes to be seated which i think is pretty ridiculous when you have an ADR.
i get there 15 minutes prior like disney suggests and i HOPE to be seated within 15 minutes of my actual ADR time.

the general rule of thumb is to allow 90 minutes from the actual ADR time to the time you leave.

I agree with hit or miss. There have been times when we've been seated as soon as we've checked in 15 minutes early and other times where we have had to wait an hour past our reservation time. I always leave at least 2 hours between the ADR time and anything else.

It does happen quite a bit and then on other occassions you can show up early and be seated right away, if you think you'll be tight on time after your reservation I would show up early

Waiting an hour past a reservation?! :( Oh god, with young kids, that would make me miserable. I hope not!

The worst waiting I ever had was at Brown Derby. We waited to be seat for over an hour, what a waste of 2 Table Services. We also waited around 5-10 min to be asked what we wanted to drink, another 5-10 min to take our orders, 5 minutes for our entres, 5 min for our dessert. The only thing that we didn't have to wait for was the bill!! :rotfl2:

We now arrive at least 10-15 minutes early for dinner. :)

I am finding with FP+ folks are cutting there schedules very tight and not getting to their ADR's 15 minutes early or even late which I think is causing more back ups and delays at the restaurants at least for getting seated.

We waited for 1900 PF dinner for over an hour one night. Why I don't know. There were people everywhere in the lobby waiting to eat, kids were sleeping in the chairs and on couches, not a fun evening.

It can happen, but I would say it's not the norm. Last trip, we had a long wait at LTT (about 20 mins), but for most everything else we were seated in 10 minutes or less. Our longest wait was 45 minutes at Rose & Crown, but this was around primetime for Illuminations seating so it was to be expected.

An ADR is not like a regular restaurant reservation. An ADR does not hold a table for you at that time. It is a system that gets you the next available table after you check in at your ADR time. Things like slow diners, slow kitchen, and slow servers can affect how fast the tables turn over. It is very common to have to wait past your ADR time, more so at popular restaurants. We always try to arrive about 15 minutes early for our ADRs as a buffer for the things that can slow down a restaurant.

Last edited:
We had a reservation at Crystal Palace for breakfast at 9:30. It was a very rainy day and lots of guests didn't want to leave the CP because of the rain. I don't think we were seated until 10:30 or later. On that trip we had soaking rain every day. I don't think I have ever seen so much rain. Our WDW ponchos were the lifesavers.

We waited about 45 minutes at Crystal Palace, and about the same at Hollywood & Vine. We waited close to 2 hours at Coral Reef, but that's a whole 'nother story. Every other ADR we've had, we were seated within 30 minutes.

It also depends on the time of your ADR. If you like to dine at "prime" times, especially for lunch and dinner, you could wait a bit. However, if you don't mind dining at a slightly earlier/later lunch or dinner time, you are less likely to have to wait.

But definitely, I would always allow at least 90 minutes for the ADR before scheduling some other activity. And if you have to change locations for your next activity, I would allow longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter