AP's with an 8 hour drive??

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by momtotwoteens, Dec 6, 2012.

1. GaSleepingBeautyFan

GaSleepingBeautyFan DIS Veteran

Me! So far this year I've done a 5 day trip and a 6 day trip. My AP is good through May 1, 2013 so I may see about squeezing in another trip if I can get my husband to chill out about it.

I live 8 hours away and am the only family member with an AP and the only one who loves to go to Disney as much as I can.

I just got back last night from a quick 2 day trip to be there for the New Fantasyland grand opening and get the special pins released at Coronado Springs. I had an amazing time even if I had to drive my husbands uncomfortable car instead of my comfy SUV and can't wait to do something like that again.

For discounts - used my AP for room only discounts on all 3 trips. Used my AP for souvenier discounts. Got the Tables in Wonderland card because I had the AP and used that for discounts at the table service restaurants. It has already paid for itself.

It's been totally worth getting for me.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. stmize

stmize Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 1

Cool.

4. LMN

LMN DIS Veteran

We are 18 hours away by car and would totally love to get AP passes. You guys have motivated to looking into how much they cost and how many trips we could possibly make in a years time! Thanks! :)

5. pigletto

pigletto DIS Veteran

We're about a 22 hour drive away:rolleyes1
    We've only flown so far but because of the cost of flying we take two long trips in a year instead of short ones, and this year it works out to 3 trips.

So 8 days in May, 9 in August, and 9 in February got us 26 days out of our AP's.
    It was worth it to us:)

6. momtotwoteens

momtotwoteens OIB for me!

I wish I could get brave enough to do a solo trip! I'm jealous!!

7. Disney_Princess83

Disney_Princess83 DIS Veteran

We have AP's with a 26 hour flight to WDW, does that count? :lmao: We buy AP's because even if we only go once a year, we always go long trips (2-3 weeks) so AP's save us substantially. Once we add in a TiW card and merchandise discounts, we are very much in front.

The best thing to do is work out how many days you would need to be at WDW to at least break even with the AP cost. If you break even or come out in front, they're worth it!

8. WilsonFlyer

WilsonFlyer <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

I'm 9 hours away. I have APs. I don't have enough $$$ to go once a month.

9. nooneshome

nooneshome but us dis shutins-send help or APs

We drive 10.5 hrs every time and we have gotten APs twice. We made 7 trips on those two passes. Sweet!!!

10. momtotwoteens

momtotwoteens OIB for me!

Can't wait to find out how many trips DH will do this year!!!

11. tracynwu

tracynwu Earning My Ears

What is the typical room discount AP holders get? Is it usually better than what is offered to the general public?

12. katt789

katt789 DIS Veteran

I live way up here in Canada and am an Premium Annual Passport holder (the one that does DLR & WDW)

I've luckily gotten many discounts with it, and it has paid for itself twice over.

Any AP is worth it (in my opinion) if you go more than once in a year. An AP on average is around $650 (i believe!). Last April I went with 2 friends and they both paid $340.00 for their park tickets. Go for 2 weeks, and the pass is pretty much paid for!!

13. katt789

katt789 DIS Veteran

I couldn't tell ya the exact amount, but I know that the AP discount is usually much better. It saves you more money (in terms of room discounts) I haven't bothered using it for merch or food discounts in WDW as there are too few locations. As for DLR, you get those discounts pretty much everywhere. I was there for 3.5 days and saved over $200.00 thanks to the AP