April 27th Trip Report Part 2

kritters4

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! Ok, a few minor snags, but all in all, so far... so good. Catching the bus at the Dolphin worked out great, no trouble with our luggage or the ride to CC. I had worked out a dining schedule as far as Palo's dinner and brunch times that I thought would work for us, just had to get the reservations and we'd be set. Really didn't have a desire to do the spa so that was one less thing to worry about. Security at the airport and the port was what I expected, no problems. But the line to get on the ship...wow! It was really long. You know that commercial where the kid runs thru the terminal right onto the ship...forget it!I was told the line was 2 hours. I had a to check in at the port and the girl was nice enough to lead us right to the boarding ramp and onto the ship...thanks Chris. If your a first timer get ready...the ship is BEAUTIFUL! From the minute you walk on and they announce family you know your in for a fun time. The lobby is just...I'll say it again BEAUTIFUL, as is the rest of the ship. I have to admit to being a bit anal about hotels being clean. The Magic didn't disappoint me, really clean, always someone wiping, shining, sweeping something. Reservations at Palos went fine, got what I wanted. I had out KTTW card hole punched at guest Services, be careful here...she punched two cards wrong and we couldn't use them to open the door.( Had them reissued later.) We had buffet lunch at Topsiders and sat outside to enjoy the view. Just great! Our luggage was at our room after lunch and I began to unpack. At first you think where oh where am I going to put everything! Everything fits just fine. Plenty of space for hanging and flatwear items...it might be in a desk drawer but as long as it was away I felt ok. I will admit as the week went on I said to my husband I felt like I was living in my daughters room
hint...she's 13 :0( ...! Oh well! Now I had read every Trip report since November and I knew what to bring and what was supposta happen on this trip down to the blow of the ships whistle. This can kind of be disappointing at times when what you know has happened in the past doesn't happen on YOUR trip. AS the week went on I got used to that, (kinda.) Now here is where I think I can offer the most advise. The kids clubs, or Lab. My daughter is 13 my son 10. They wanted to stay together in the Lab, why is beyond me considering they are at each others throats most of the time!LOL!~! But my daughter is new to the "teenager thing" and her choice was fine with me. Also bigger sibblings have an influence over the younger ones so...we got to to Lab to register them and get our beeper and it was durning"Storming the Lab" time. Thats when ANY age can go into the lab and look and play with their parents. Well, my two darlings looked around and saw all these younger kids (6,7,8 etc year olds) and declared they weren't going to be "hanging out " with these babies! We explained that it was "Storming the Lab" time, but they never had a desire to go back after that, or should I say my daughter didn't and my son followed in her attitude. My husband and I joked that we didn't know we had such "cool" kids! Oh well, my expectations were that they would go "sometimes" not the entire day, just for activities they might enjoy...didn't happen. We had to bribe them to go when we went to Palo's and guess what...it was the same "Storming the Lab" time as before!! I couldn't believe it!! Couldn't really do anything about that, or could have gone to Palo's and explained that my kids were TOO COOL for the Lab and we would have to reschedule...not...this was our vacation too wasn't it! (?) Oh well, if you think it might be a problem for you too don' t go during that time or just send one of you to register. Now the kids wanted to go to the pool to swim. Well unless your an adult, there is no real swimming aboard the Magic. The pools are, in my opinion (remember my waring in Part 1) ridiclously small. You CAN get wet, but forget the swimming. The pools, both of them, were jammed packed the entire time. My kids couldn't understand why they couldn't go in the adult pool. I certainly could, and just just had to say no over and over again. CONFESSION: My daughter and I did "Slip" into the adult pool for a lap or two when we got back from Castaway Cay when there was only one other adult in there and he didn't seem to mind. No screaming or splashing just a lap or two...really! As I have said before we had a long winter and the darlings really were looking forward to swimming, so for them it was a great disappointment. My husband and I never got in the adult pool together, I think the kids would have given us the "evil eye" form the deck above. LOL!Wow...didn't realize I had SO much to say...all for now...hope I still have your interest! :0)

Please keep going. After part one I kept watching for part two.

I'm getting excited about going in August and this really makes me feel like I am already there. Thanks for the great review.

Patti

Actually, all cruise ship pools are very small. That's why there is three of them - imagine if there was only one? Now, the crew pool is small....

We found that swimming later at night was a great time. Or in the morning.

Also, I think when the smaller kids - and my eight year old would not be thrilled with the baby label - are storming the lab, the older kids were somewhere else. If I remember correctly, the younger ones were in there when the lab was empty.

I am aware that all cruise ships are small, just wanted to let everyone know HOW small.

Not when they were "Storming the Lab" ! Loads of younger children were in the lab that's why I suggested not to go then.
I think your son will have a different opinion when he's 13 on the "baby" thing"!

PS> Maybe you should have turned back!!:p

When we went in Nov., my dd13 and ds 11 would not go near either of the kids clubs either. We bribed, begged, cajoled, etc. to no avail. We scheduled our Palo dinner during regular dinner time, so they actually went and had a ball during our regular dining rotation with our servers. My kids were klingons the entire cruise and I decided eventually to do what I wanted and if they didn't like it, they could find something else to do.

I, too, felt the same way about the pools and did not go into the adult pool either---too guilty.

Enjoying your reports!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter