Appropriate babysitter charge??

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Maybelle, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Maybelle

Maybelle <font color=green>I rode my inch worm down the str

My daughter has her first babysitting job tonight. She will be watching my niece and nephew (age 6 and 4) while we go out to dinner with their parents. She will probably be giving them a simple supper.

I am wondering what the going rate is for babysittersd, because she really has no idea what to charge.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. lisaross

lisaross DIS Veteran

i would say about 7 or 8.00 - might be a bit on the lower end, but it is her niece and nephew..

3. swkmom

swkmom Mouseketeer

My daughter gets $5 per hour to watch her cousin, my niece, I would guess it would be a little more for 2 kids. I guess it also depends on what area of the country you live in.

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Maybelle

We are in the New England area.

Thanks for your input.

6. DaniB

DaniB DIS Veteran

I'm in Canada and I have been giving my last 2 babysitters $5 an hour. (I have 2 kids). Usually the kids are fed and ready for bed. If there's more work involved, I sometimes give more. But I always round it up to the closest hour as well.

My first babysitter seemed surprised by the amount I gave her as she asked a couple of times if I meant to give her that much. Makes me wonder what other people paid her.

When she went off to University this past September, I was lucky to have another family move on our street with a 13 year old who's good as well.

7. heatherleigh

heatherleigh DIS Veteran

$7.50 PER HOUR would be appropriate given the relationship and their ages.

8. cinderellamom123

cinderellamom123 Mouseketeer

I am also from MA. I don't know how old your daughter is, and what her experience is. However, I do not know anyone who pays their babysitter less than $10 in our area. I pay mine $12 but they are CPR/First Aid certified etc. Because of our location, rates are much higher than say Ohio or Iowa

9. Maybelle

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. My daughter will be turnign 13 next month, and will be taking the babysitting/CPR class later this month or in the summer. She is very close with her cousins, and they can't wait for her to come over to babysit! I think for her first job, she doesn't expect to make that much, but I think my sister is used to paying quite a bit...so she may be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks!

10. msmama

msmama DIS Veteran

I would say between $7 - $10/hr.

Less because they're not babies, but more because there's 2 of them. Less because she's still pretty young more because she's family.

I think $5 is too little!

11. ohanaMAMA

ohanaMAMA DIS Veteran

I used to babysit a LOT. I charged $20 an evening. flat rate. (except for this one family who's kids were NUTS! they were on an hourly, per kid rate)

12. RachaelA

RachaelA DIS Veteran

I live in Northeast Ohio and back in 2001 and 2002 I was making $10 an hour (I was a freshman and sophmore in high school). So not all of Ohio is not as low cost of living as one might think ;)

13. Michellepooh

Michellepooh DIS Veteran

I'm in MA and we pay $8/hour to some HS girls who babysit, but we have another college-aged girl who charges $10/hour. We have 2 kids, ages 5 and 1.

14. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 <font color=green>I just love those parmesan mashe

My DD15 gets $10.00/hour.

15. DebMcDonald

DebMcDonald DIS Veteran

We're also in Red Sox Nation, living on the South Shore. My 16 year old gets on average $8-10 an hour, closer to $8 for two kids.

16. addicted2dizney

addicted2dizney DIS Veteran

I usually paid my young adult babysitter $12 an hour. Now my 16 year old gets $12 an hour for practically doing nothing! The kids are older and sometimes only one is there and he/she watches tv and goes to bed.

I told my daughter the next time she can't do it, give me the job! lol!

17. cinmouse

cinmouse Mouseketeer

Also from MA - we pay $10 per hour for our 6 year old son...I think the going rate for 2 kids is $12-$15 per hour.
    Since your daughter is young and it is her cousins, I would say $8 would be a deal. Whne my nephew (14) watched my son I paid him $20 for 3 hours and took him to CoCo Key Waterpark with us during the day.

18. java

java <font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B

My dd gets $10 an hour for 2 kids(she's 12)
    But she would be watching cousins for FREE. As long as it wasn't going to be an every weekend kind of thing.

19. verlee

verlee DIS Veteran

In our neighborhood young babysitters get $6-$7/hr, College $10/hr. I pay our 14 yr old neighbor $6/ hr rounding up and her mom is constantly telling me I pay too much?

20. mjkacmom

mjkacmom DIS Veteran

I pay $10, I pay dd13 $5 (since she lives here), and I tell my friends to pay her $6, because she's still young (and we're friends).

21. jlindemer

jlindemer Mouseketeer

Wowsers! There is a 15 yr old that wants to babysit my boys over the summer & she only wants $4/hr! She charges someone else $50 for a week--working 4 days, 6 hrs a day.