Apple Watch...Tell Me Everything

I work 12-hour shift as a paramedic (not working out of a station) in West Michigan weather. I have worn a men's Casio G-shock watch for the past 10 years and so I am used to wearing a big watch. It is the only watch I have so when I have to "dress up", I don't wear a watch at all...and it drives me crazy.

I am planning on buying an Apple watch. I think I prefer the 42mm, simply because I think it will be easier to use the larger screen. I'm already used to wearing a large watch so the size does not intimidate me.

I've researched the features of the watch and I am excited to start using them, especially the fitness tracking For those of you who own one already, I have a few questions...

First, battery life....is this watch going to make it 14 hours at work without needing to be charged?? My Phone makes it about 7-8 hours before I have to plug it in. Besides the fitness tracking, the only other feature I see myself using frequently is the navigation app. If I would need to charge it at work, what are my options?

Second, durability...my phone is in a Lifeproof case out of necessity. My biggest concerns with the watch are scratch prevention and water resistance. If I am carrying a person, I don't want to worry about ruining my watch by scraping it across a door frame. I also can't worry about getting it wet if I am outside in the rain/snow...which is inevitable. What is my best defense? A case protector? Screen protector? Or will the Apple Care cover damage from stuff like this?

Finally, just some general opinions would be great. I have $310 from eBay that I am going to use to get the watch. I have been looking exclusively at the Best Buy store on eBay and I am leaning towards the manufacturer-refurbished 42mm aluminum case options. I see that there are some stainless steel case 38mm options that fit my budget as well. I have not tried on either of them, but I'm wondering if there is a clear advantage of one over the other, or if it a more a matter of personal preference.

Thanks!

I just got a 38mm gold sport watch two weeks ago and I love it. I have ordered a clear screen and side protective case that I hope will protect it from scratches. I found the battery lasts longer than 18 hours. I have used it for almost everything that I would use my phone for, texts, emails, Facebook messenger, Apple Pay, Starbucks pay, some games, google maps and phone calls. It's very nice to hear a little ding and feel a light vibration and then can easily check notifications. It's nice to wear and I got used to the weight of it very quickly. I have also downloaded Watch OS3 beta and really like the changes. I also purchased Apple care since it was only $69.

Here is the link to the screen and side protective case (it's from Amazon.ca but I'm sure it would be on the US side as well): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00WI56TQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had my Apple Watch Sport 42 mm since release day. Prior to the Apple Watch, I wore a Pebble. Like Lilia78, I also am running Watch OS3 Beta. I use my watch so much that I really don't even think about it any more. It is a part of me. Let me list some of the uses of the Apple Watch as I use it.

It wakes me up in the morning. During the night Sleep++ tracked my slumber. WebMD reminded me to take my blood pressure medicine. The Withings app told me that I've dropped another couple pounds after I stepped on my WD-50. WebMD Allergy told me today is going to suck. Wrinkle Free let me know when my shirt was dry. I got a couple alerts from Washington Post and FoxNews. Amazon and eBay both let me know packages have been delivered. Since I manually adjusted my thermostat yesterday (it was a holiday), I told the Nest app on my watch to turn off the air conditioner when I left. I got a Walgreens alert that my prescription is ready for pick up. All throughout the day, I've had Twitter alerts, Messages alerts, and Outlook alerts. The watch used Activity to track my steps during the day. I had it show me a Contact. I answered a phone call on it when my iPhone was still on my desk back in my office. I walked to a new store that I had not been to before and the Maps app gave me directions, right on my wrist. I bought a soda using Apple Pay.

When I'm on vacation at Disney World next month, the Magic Guide app will tell me what the lines look like at certain rides, it will show me the park hours.

Oh, and it tells me the time.

Sorry to be off topic,

:offtopic:

But this thread title has me thinking about this scene from Goonies! Tell me everything...

I've also had my Apple Watch for over a year now. I have the basic sport version but do sometimes trade out the band for some other non-apple bands that are readily available now and work great. I wear it every day and I'm not particularly careful about it, so I've banged and bumped into numerous things and it still looks brand new. I've found I can still receive emails and texts even when I'm at a considerable distance away from my phone. I use the phone aspect of it frequently (although not convenient if you are in a location that speaker phone is a problem), but it's so nice not to have to go searching for my phone to answer a call. I don't take it into water just because of my own paranoia, so good to hear that it truly is as water resistant as Apple claims. Maybe I'll stop being so worried about it. As already mentioned, the battery life for me often exceeds 24 hours if I forget to charge it.

I'm planning on getting the series 2 watch - LADIES, or anyone with small wrists, do you have the bigger or smaller size? :)

I'm planning on getting the series 2 watch - LADIES, or anyone with small wrists, do you have the bigger or smaller size? :)
I have small wrists, I have the smaller size. I wouldn't mind the bigger display, but I think it's just too big for my wrists.

I have small wrists, I have the smaller size. I wouldn't mind the bigger display, but I think it's just too big for my wrists.
I think I agree. I just tried on both sizes and the larger one looked a little silly on me. :) thanks!!

image.jpeg
I opted for the larger one...

The one with the white band looked huge so I chose the rose gold with the stone band. I really like it and, after reading about the new version, I'm glad I got this one instead. Nothing about the new version is worth the extra cost, in my case anyway.

@kristenrice thanks!! AHH so pretty...

I really like that the new one has waterproofing. That and the new display are enough to make me pay the extra cost...though the original watches dropping down in price is pretty tempting!

So I think I'm going to order the Watch 2. Are there specific apps I should look for before our WDW trip? Does MDE work on the watch?

I have had my Apple Watch Sport 42 mm since release day. Prior to the Apple Watch, I wore a Pebble. Like Lilia78, I also am running Watch OS3 Beta. I use my watch so much that I really don't even think about it any more. It is a part of me. Let me list some of the uses of the Apple Watch as I use it.

It wakes me up in the morning. During the night Sleep++ tracked my slumber. WebMD reminded me to take my blood pressure medicine. The Withings app told me that I've dropped another couple pounds after I stepped on my WD-50. WebMD Allergy told me today is going to suck. Wrinkle Free let me know when my shirt was dry. I got a couple alerts from Washington Post and FoxNews. Amazon and eBay both let me know packages have been delivered. Since I manually adjusted my thermostat yesterday (it was a holiday), I told the Nest app on my watch to turn off the air conditioner when I left. I got a Walgreens alert that my prescription is ready for pick up. All throughout the day, I've had Twitter alerts, Messages alerts, and Outlook alerts. The watch used Activity to track my steps during the day. I had it show me a Contact. I answered a phone call on it when my iPhone was still on my desk back in my office. I walked to a new store that I had not been to before and the Maps app gave me directions, right on my wrist. I bought a soda using Apple Pay.

When I'm on vacation at Disney World next month, the Magic Guide app will tell me what the lines look like at certain rides, it will show me the park hours.

Oh, and it tells me the time.

Thanks for the WedMD tip! Downloading the app now, I take quite a few meds during the day and I didn't know that the WedMD app would give me reminders for them. Thanks!

I have small wrists and love the smaller one! And of course Mickey! With OS3 when the watch is awake and you tap the screen Mickey tells you what time it is! I just love it!

Attachments

• IMG_2837.JPG
    IMG_2837.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 18
I have small wrists and love the smaller one! And of course Mickey! With OS3 when the watch is awake and you tap the screen Mickey tells you what time it is! I just love it!
I'm not gonna lie...having a Mickey (and Minnie!) watch face is definitely one of the reasons why I want an Apple Watch! :yay: Thanks for your input!!

I'm not gonna lie...having a Mickey (and Minnie!) watch face is definitely one of the reasons why I want an Apple Watch! :yay: Thanks for your input!!
It definitely helped in my decision to buy one on release day. I always wear a Mickey watch, and was struggling with the idea of not having one, so when they showed the Mickey Face, I was sold!

I'm glad I got the watch when I did! I had $300 in eBay gift cards to use up and last week, when they had a 6% eBucks offer, I grabbed a brand new one from the Best Buy store on eBay for $299. Today, the same watch is $349 and even the open-box one is $319! If I would have waited, I wouldn't have had enough to get it.

It definitely helped in my decision to buy one on release day. I always wear a Mickey watch, and was struggling with the idea of not having one, so when they showed the Mickey Face, I was sold!
Yes...Disney fan problems, amiright? :)

Seriously, I have a Mickey watch but I have been wearing a Garmin with smartwatch capabilities (love getting phone notifications without having my sound turned out - really great so that my coworkers in the cubes around me don't get annoyed), and it works great, but...MICKEY!! :rotfl2:

image.jpeg
This is what the watch looks like on my wrist when it is asleep. The main difference is that the larger watch appears rectangular and the smaller one was more of a square.
Check this out...
I took this shot on Main Street last October.
image.jpeg

@kristenrice I love it with the lavender band! That is the color combination I have for my phone (rose gold phone, lavender case) and I may need the matching band!

AHH I love that you're using that Main Street picture! I'm so lame but I'm excited for fun watch faces! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter