Apple scooter-recent experiences

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by burnetta696, Apr 21, 2014.

1. burnetta696

burnetta696 Mouseketeer

Another question- how's the weight limit on a go go elite? The websites all say 175/190 but the booklet says up to 300lbs, I would imagine it's the speed and duration that's affected...

Anyone have an experience with it at about 220?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bidnow5

bidnow5 DIS Veteran

Apple plays it safe the closer you are to the real weight limit the bigger the chance the battery isn't going to last a full day

4. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

I would go with the number the rental company is giving you. There are different models of the Go Go Elite. I'm aware of one with just that name, but also Go Go Elite Plus, Go Go Elite Traveler and Go Go Elite Traveler Plus. The Plus ones have bigger batteries and higher weight limits.

Keep in mind the weight is the total weight being carried,so also includes any bags, purses or other things being carried besides the person.

As another poster mentioned, going over the weight will shorten the battery life.

5. burnetta696

burnetta696 Mouseketeer

Okay thanks for the advice... Also I'm looking into switching from apple and going with walker since it seems highly recommended as of late. But since they can't leave it with bell services- how are they about being there on time when delivering and picking up?

6. PrincessSuzanne

PrincessSuzanne <font color=red>Guess I will be eating crow tonigh

They're very good about being on time. They work with you on a one hour window, they call and discuss where you want to meet and then call to let you know they are close by, I think Anthony is the driver and he is fantastic.

7. SashaFarce

SashaFarce Mouseketeer

Just a quick update. We were there this weekend and rented a scooter and rolling walker from Apple. The walker was a little flimsy and had a couple of little issues but nothing major. The scooter worked fine, though it was obviously cobbled together from a couple of different original parts. However, Apple told us they no longer rent sunshades, so this is a problem for us. That coupled with previous so-so experiences and declining customer service means we are looking at other companies for sure.

8. pvz

pvz Earning My Ears

I've used Apple for 6 trips in the past 2 years - 2 were 8 days in length and the others 10 including my latest Apr 21 - Apr30. Never had a problem until this trip. Picked it up at Kidani and caught a bus to Epcot for a Margarita, lunch at The Tangerine Cafe, Mission Space & Soarin'. About 1/2 way to the Bag Check, I was down to 1 Green Charge Light. Called Apple and they told me to go about my business and that someone would contact me in 20 minutes or so. Between Bag Check & Park Entrance, the Charge indicator was down to 1 Orange Light. Made it to Mexico, checked my phone and had 3 calls & a voice-mail from the Apple Tech, Joe. Told him where I was, ordered my drink and by the time I made it back to the ECV, he was there. Took him ~2 minutes to swap out the batteries and it never dropped a single Green Light the rest of the trip.

9. Gizmo1951

Gizmo1951 DIS Veteran

Very Mixed review on my experience with Apple this trip
    Have decided to try another vender in the future
    We had one scooter rented for myself the entire time this trip
    That scooter caused no problems but was in poor shape with the button for horn handing loose and showed much wear but it caused no issues while being used
    After the first day we needed to rent another scooter for my husband
    He has several health issues and would never want to use a scooter but found his trip he could not without one. I called apple and they gave me a small discount on the second scooter. This scooter gave up on the first use after an hour battery showed fine but would not run and the steering part fell off on my husband. The bus driver had to help get it off the bus and it needed to be pushed to hotel I called Apple Around 9 PM but they were closed and I left an voicemail. They never returned my call and I again called in the morning and they brought another to the hotel. Said it would be fine. WE left the GF and went on the Monorail to MK after driving only 10 minutes or so it died on the monorail to MG we got off at the Transportation and they had to help get it off
    It was pouring rain and we rolled it down the ramp and again called apple. They said they could meet us in 45 Minutes and I explained I was not waiting in rain for 45 minutes I would leave the scooter there and they could bring another to hotel. Which they did. This scooter was newer and gave no problems the rest of our trip. However, with this experience I will most likely no use again unless things change. It disrupted several of our days and caused several issues.

10. Beesma

Beesma Earning My Ears

I returned Sunday from a trip to Disneyland--it was my first time renting an ECV, which I rented from Apple for five days. I had a great experience with them. They called me the day before our arrival to make sure I still wanted it and delivered it to bell services at my hotel the evening before we arrived. The scooter was in really good shape and was fully charged. I had absolutely no issues and will rent from them again in the future.

11. burnetta696

burnetta696 Mouseketeer

So follow up! I did end up keeping my booking with apple an had no issues whatsoever.

It was their most basic model so it wasn't fancy, or especially beautiful but it held a charge for the day, and was delivered on time and worked wonderfully for my grandmother.

The charger wasnt in the best condition but it still did the job. I would absolutely consider using them again.

12. Pats Dragon

Pats Dragon DIS Veteran

Loved Apple on our 7 day trip in May. Like the convenience of having the scooter waiting for me and really like free insurance. My scooter never lost its charge even when i forgot to re charge it one day. I think you will probably be pleased if you use them. As others have said, don't fudge on the size you need in order to save money because if you are too heavy it will lose charge faster.

13. Roxy13

Roxy13 Mouseketeer

We rented from Apple for 5/4-5/9/14. We ordered the larger scooters as we had a bad experience before with running out of battery way too soon. My husbands scooter was perfect, good condition and no problems the entire trip. Mine on the other hand was a mess, it had seen much better days. I kept running out of battery going only about 3 miles. I called and they came to park with a new battery and when the guy looked at my seat, and saw the rips and wobbly arm rests, he took his off and put it on mine. They were there within hour and a half, but we missed 2 FP+ and an ADR. Could not reschedule any of them.

Second day same thing, ran out of battery about 2 miles use, I called and told them no more repairs, I wanted another scooter, within hour and a half I had another scooter, again we missed ADR and one FP+ but unable to reschedule. The second scooter was in better condition and had no more problems. Would I rent again from them, no I won't, time is so critical with ADRs and FP+ to gamble with how scooters will operate. We've had 1 good rent and 2 bad rents, that's enough experience with them.

14. shrinkydinky

shrinkydinky Disney Dreamer

Glad i found this thread. We are going in October and my sister and i had planned on using Apple. They looked to be the cheapest and have free insurance. But our big fear is the scooter pooping out and being stuck pushing it back to our hotel.

Is there a thread with reviews of all the scooter companies in the area? Or, can folks post their preferred scooter company here?

15. disneygma

disneygma Earning My Ears

I rented from Apple from 5/31/14 to 6/8/14 . This was my first time using a scooter. I picked up from Bell Services at Pop Century on the 31st about 9pm. I was told it was fully charged so did not plug it in that night.

The next day we went to Epcot and about an hour or two later I was trying to find somewhere to plug in because I lost all the green lights. We plug in at the land for a couple of hours.

That night we plugged it in and the next day we went to Animal Kingdom Within a couple of hours we had to find a outlet to charge it. We found one at Flame Tree BBQ. We charged it for awhile but when we tried to leave the battery went completely dead and my son-in-law had to push me to the bus stop. I was so embarrassed.

We took the bus back to Pop Century where I called Apple. The guy I talked to was rude telling me it was normal to have to charge the battery during the day. He told me someone would call me in a few minutes.

We didn't want to push it to our room so we went to bell services. Just then my phone rang and it was Apple. This guy was so nice . He said he was at Pop Century and would be at bell services in a few minutes. He was there right away and changed out the batteries. Fast and easy service.

The next day the scooter ran all day at Hollywood studios and the only problem I had was when I parked at Toy Story. When I came back the scooter wouldn't go in reverse or forward. I called Apple and found out what the problem was. easy fix and nice man. no problems the rest of the trip but the scooter had a rip on the arm rest and the seat needs to be tightened .

I am not sure it I will rent from them again or not. I saw a lot of Buena Vista rental scooters that were in better shape.

16. ppony

ppony Artist in residence DIS Lifetime Sponsor

:scared1::scared1:
    O. M. G!

I don't need to hear a single other review after reading that. Holy smokes! THANK YOU for sharing that. That was bad bad BAD. Sort-of a modified extortion in my eyes. Who runs that joint that they'd even float that idea out there?!?! I'm just appalled.:scared:

17. evaready51

evaready51 A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes!

We use Walker Mobility & they are outstanding...they did not pay me to write about them LOL!!

18. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

Apple has been asking users to post reviews on the DIS boards for several months. If you do a search, you'll find a number of discussions about this.