• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AP with DDE card..I have a question

deadhedjen

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I am most likely getting one AP to use for our upcoming trip and buy the DDE card as well. The DDE discount alone I think will more than cover the cost of the AP.

I do have a few questions though...

1)How many meals per card can you get discounted?

2)Is it true Disney is looking to discontinue the DDE card? (heard they were going to d/c it and going to allow AP holders get the dining plan)

3)How much advance notice do you think they will give before they discontinue it?

I'd also like to know when the heck I can book for the end of June, but I don't think anyone has that answer yet, lol.

thanks
Jennifer. :cool1:

Here's some quick answers, feel free to ask for more specifics if you need them:

DDE is valid for up to 10 guests

They just raised the price starting 1/1/06 so I don't think they are planning to discountinue it in the coming year. Notice is like everything else, no more than rumors a few days before would be my guess

For June booking, I am not sure what you mean exactly, dining is now 180 days in advance. For the DDE, it takes about 4 weeks to process. If you order last minute, they can have a temp card for you to pick up at the front of Epcot which is usually good for 2 months,

Hope this helps
Sandy

Hi!

I am most likely getting one AP to use for our upcoming trip and buy the DDE card as well. The DDE discount alone I think will more than cover the cost of the AP.

I do have a few questions though...

1)How many meals per card can you get discounted? Do you mean how many people per meal? It's for upt to 10 people.

2)Is it true Disney is looking to discontinue the DDE card? (heard they were going to d/c it and going to allow AP holders get the dining plan)
I haven't heard that, they just announced a price increase for 2006 so you should be safe until 12/06
3)How much advance notice do you think they will give before they discontinue it? When you order it, it expires in 12-13 months. but I guess they could just stop selling them at any point.

I'd also like to know when the heck I can book for the end of June, but I don't think anyone has that answer yet, lol. You can book a room now. Do you mean with an AP discount?

thanks
Jennifer. :cool1:

I just re-read my original post, lol... :rotfl:

Yes, I was wondering how many people per meal can get the discount. We are a group of 11, so all but one kids meal could be on the card right?

How much did they raise the price for 2006?

Wow! I didn't realize it took a month for the DDE card to come in...thanks for that info.

And yes, I meant when would I be able to book with AP rate for June. We're getting 3 rooms and I really am hoping for some nice room discounts. If not, that's still OK since we'll cover the cost of the AP and the DDE card with the food discounts alone.

Sorry for not having all the info in my original post.

Thanks for the info!
Jennifer. :sunny:

With the DDE card, there's no limit to how many meals you can use it on per day if that's what you're asking. We are going in June/July and I've already booked rooms. My next step is to secure one AP and start making dining ressies. The summer is a busy time and I like to have all my ressies done way early. If an adjusted room rate comes out for AP holders, you just revise (never cancel and rebook) your original resort order. You can do revisions at any time. :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

dzneelvr said:
With the DDE card, there's no limit to how many meals you can use it on per day if that's what you're asking. We are going in June/July and I've already booked rooms. My next step is to secure one AP and start making dining ressies. The summer is a busy time and I like to have all my ressies done way early. If an adjusted room rate comes out for AP holders, you just revise (never cancel and rebook) your original resort order. You can do revisions at any time. :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

yes, there is a limit...per meal you can use it for up to 10 people. If you eat 3 to 5 meals per day you can use it at every meal, but only up for 10 people each meal.

If your June trip extends into the 4th of July time frame, the DDE card is not accepted during holiday times.

My husband was skeptical about the DDE card (we are AP holders). But when I picked mine up at EPCOT a few weeks back during our trip, he noticed that we saved a lot of money by using it. In a 4 day trip (we were on concierge level, so we skipped many meals), we broke even.

With our upcoming April trip, (11 of us), it will be sheer savings!

It's a great thing.

yooperfan said:
If your June trip extends into the 4th of July time frame, the DDE card is not accepted during holiday times.
So, I'm not able to use the card on July 4th?? Or for a longer period surrounding the 4th??

We're going June 29- July 8 or 9.

Jennifer :cool1:

Last year I went for 10 days at Easter...only Easter day was not covered by DDE(usuall holiday policy). For 2 trips(18days total) I estimate my savings at about $400. So yes you could cover the cost of an AP...we were generally 4 people...but I did have a party at CM for 10. If you are going with 11 people, there is something you could do...You are allowed a 2nd person (immediate family member residing at your home) to get a second card no charge. For a large group like yours it might be worth it for a 2nd person to have a seperate card, because I imagine that some of your meals will be split up...it would be hard to get all adr's for 11 at some restaurants. You can call at 180 days out, and if you are planning on dining together I would highly suggest that.

canwegosoon said:
Last year I went for 10 days at Easter...only Easter day was not covered by DDE(usuall holiday policy). For 2 trips(18days total) I estimate my savings at about $400. So yes you could cover the cost of an AP...we were generally 4 people...but I did have a party at CM for 10. If you are going with 11 people, there is something you could do...You are allowed a 2nd person (immediate family member residing at your home) to get a second card no charge. For a large group like yours it might be worth it for a 2nd person to have a seperate card, because I imagine that some of your meals will be split up...it would be hard to get all adr's for 11 at some restaurants. You can call at 180 days out, and if you are planning on dining together I would highly suggest that.

Just an fyi to add to this...they will NOT allow you to get a 2nd DDE card for anyone residing in the same house hold. Must be spouse or partner. They would not allow me to get one for my father who lives the same household. We didn't really need a 2nd card, so no big deal.

I just ordered AP's this week, which have not arrived yet. Is there a phone # to call and order a DDE card on Saturday (before price increase) or an online website to order from? Thank you for your help! :flower:

Saved over $600 first week in May with family of ten. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

canwegosoon said:

Yes, I think that a second card would be a really good thing for us since there are 11 of us travelling together (2 families). I read in my guide book that an automatic gratuity of 18% was added to ALL parties of 8 or more even if you are at a BUFFET. I don't usually tip that well at a buffet (don't worry, flame suit is on). Plus....I think if each family had their own card it would make it less akward come time to pay and everyone has to chip in. This way each family pays for their own meals.
PLUS....the DDE card is also good at the ASMo food court (where we all happen to be staying). Perfect for quickie breakfast before heading out to the parks.

So....let's do some math....I am lousy at math, so help me out if I screw up OK, lol

cost for AP $395 (adult)
cost for DDE $70
2nd DDE card $25
=$490
minus...
cost for 10 day PH pass $232 (what I will be buying if I don't get the AP/DDE)
equals: $258

So....for me to come out ahead, I would have to get a savings on meals and possibly rooms in excess of $258 right??

11 people's meals for 9 days (no discount on the 4th of July right?)
3 rooms at ASMo for 9 nights

I stink at math, but I am figuring with JUST FOOD discounts I can save more that my $258 expense for the AP/DDE cards. Any possible ROOM discounts would be gravy right?

If someone wouldn't mind checking my math and maybe offering me any input as to whether I am heading in the right direction with buying the AP/DDE I would be most appreciative. Thanks!

Jennifer. :wizard:

The cost of the DDE with AP is $50, the second card is free. Not sure if you were asking this or not, but hope it helps with your math. :wave:

We are 2 adults who don't eat out too too much at WDW and we saved about $25 this past trip and we have 2 more planned in 2006. Yup, we are glad we got the DDE.

Wooooooooooohooooo ordered my cards in early Dec. just got them in the mail today!

Oppps they mispelled my better half's name... she is no longer a woman apparently... from Norma to Norman!

deadhedjen said:
Yes, I think that a second card would be a really good thing for us since there are 11 of us travelling together (2 families). I read in my guide book that an automatic gratuity of 18% was added to ALL parties of 8 or more even if you are at a BUFFET. I don't usually tip that well at a buffet (don't worry, flame suit is on). Plus....I think if each family had their own card it would make it less akward come time to pay and everyone has to chip in. This way each family pays for their own meals.
PLUS....the DDE card is also good at the ASMo food court (where we all happen to be staying). Perfect for quickie breakfast before heading out to the parks.

So....let's do some math....I am lousy at math, so help me out if I screw up OK, lol

cost for AP $395 (adult)
cost for DDE $70
2nd DDE card $25
=$490
minus...
cost for 10 day PH pass $232 (what I will be buying if I don't get the AP/DDE)
equals: $258

So....for me to come out ahead, I would have to get a savings on meals and possibly rooms in excess of $258 right??

11 people's meals for 9 days (no discount on the 4th of July right?)
3 rooms at ASMo for 9 nights

I stink at math, but I am figuring with JUST FOOD discounts I can save more that my $258 expense for the AP/DDE cards. Any possible ROOM discounts would be gravy right?

If someone wouldn't mind checking my math and maybe offering me any input as to whether I am heading in the right direction with buying the AP/DDE I would be most appreciative. Thanks!

Jennifer. :wizard:

Just so you know, a second card can only be ordered for a spouse or partner and it will have their name on it. Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter