AP question

Kebby

DIS Veteran
I converted my 4 days park pass to an AP in December of last year. For some reason, it is saying it expires October 15. Is this a glitch?? It actually might work out ok as I want to renew my AP when I'm there in September, but just unsure why it cut off two months?

Upgrading any pass to an AP (to my knowledge) retains the original ticket's expiration date. If they did not convey that to you, that is very bad. You think you have more days than you do.

It's the "upgrade" they look at, not that you are purchasing a "new" ticket. I see people all the time complain about this upgrading from say a seasonal pass to an AP. Their original expiration date of the seasonal pass is the expiration date of the "new" AP.

I thought the way it worked was if you upgrade to an AP, the expiration date would match the date the original ticket was first used, not purchased(someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm interested in the info as well, because this is what I plan to do.

For example:

4 day park pass purchased 10/15/14

Day of first use 12/01/14
Upgrade to AP 12/03/14

Expiration of AP should be 12/01/15 (not October as seems to have happened to OP).

I thought the way it worked was if you upgrade to an AP, the expiration date would match the date the original ticket was first used, not purchased(someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm interested in the info as well, because this is what I plan to do.

For example:

4 day park pass purchased 10/15/14

Day of first use 12/01/14
Upgrade to AP 12/03/14

Expiration of AP should be 12/01/15 (not October as seems to have happened to OP).

Yes, that's the way I believe it "supposed" to work. That's what I was saying (probably not very well) in my first response. And as you stated, this does not seem to be the case in the OP's situation.

If you upgrade a ticket to an AP, the AP should expire 1 year from the date that the ticket was first used. The original expiration date has nothing to do with it.

OP: something got screwed up when you upgraded. It happens sometimes. Just call Disney and get it fixed.

That is the correct policy.

It seems the computer will incorrectly sometimes use the ticket purchase date when issuing an AP. That happened to me, once (pre FP+ so they don't get all the blame). But I saw the error right away, and the GS CM apologized and re-issued my passes with the correct date.

I think guest services will have no problem correcting the passes if the OP has a mid-year trip.

If you upgrade a ticket to an AP, the AP should expire 1 year from the date that the ticket was first used. The original expiration date has nothing to do with it.

OP: something got screwed up when you upgraded. It happens sometimes. Just call Disney and get it fixed.

That is not what happened to several people here locally I know that just upgraded from a seasonal pass to an annual pass a week back.

The day they upgraded I was with them at the ticket window and the CM made it overly clear their AP expatriation date would be that of their original seasonal pass, not the purchased or first usage date of the now upgraded AP.

This may have something to do with the fact they had seasonal passes and not [insert number of days here] passes as well, I'm not sure there. I do remember very well what the CM at the ticket saying that it was the original expiration date of their seasonal pass not the purchase/first used date of the AP.

I mentioned to the CM this did not seem correct. A guest services CM was called, they came and confirmed to all of us that it was the original pass's expiration date not the upgraded AP purchased/first usage date.

If they were both wrong, Disney needs to get their people on the same page in admissions and what the policies are and are not. I can only speak to what we were told no more than a week ago by an admissions CM and a guest relations CM on this.

From Everything About WDW Tickets:

If the MYW ticket has been used, the expiration date of the non-renewal AP will be set to one year from the date of first use of the ticket being upgraded. If the ticket has not been used, the expiration date will be one year from the date of the upgrade.

There you go. The CM's new what they were talking about after all :) As if I ever doubted them. Their (my friends) tickets had obviously been used. Hints why their expiration were that of the original tickets, not the upgraded AP.

Thanks for that @Alesia

I mentioned to the CM this did not seem correct. A guest services CM was called, they came and confirmed to all of us that it was the original pass's expiration date not the upgraded AP purchased/first usage date.

If they were both wrong, Disney needs to get their people on the same page in admissions and what the policies are and are not. I can only speak to what we were told no more than a week ago by an admissions CM and a guest relations CM on this.

Im trying to understand. You had friends that upgraded from SPs to APs? It was within first year of use? Not sure why thinking the expiration should restart because of an upgrade. Wish that was the case id upgrade at 11 month and get another whole year for $150. Its always been first day of use but if you change a voucher to the AP but wait time before using it, you should be able to go to GS and they'll fix it.

Im trying to understand. You had friends that upgraded from SPs to APs? It was within first year of use? Not sure why thinking the expiration should restart because of an upgrade. Wish that was the case id upgrade at 11 month and get another whole year for $150. Its always been first day of use but if you change a voucher to the AP but wait time before using it, you should be able to go to GS and they'll fix it.

I didn't do a very good job there, sorry :)

Yes, that's the way I believe it "supposed" to work. That's what I was saying (probably not very well) in my first response. And as you stated, this does not seem to be the case in the OP's situation.

Great minds think alike lol!

I didn't do a very good job there, sorry :)

No worries...when they would let us Floridians buy 3 - 4 day passes and we could upgrade within 6 months of 1st use (now 14 days) we'd use them in Sept and upgrade to SPs in January (spread out the cost) a few times new CMs would start the date over. My daughter upgraded her family's Discovery Tickets and expiration date is day she upgraded (2 days after first use). It can happen but its not the norm. I just think of it as a gift. I renew every year so mine stays the same. But I love my payment plan and saving $53 by renewing.....now if they'd sell a parking pass for SP holders. Typically we stay on site but we get in mood for go for day (we only live an hour away).

Nice!!

I've been renewing since 1989. Still have all my old AP's somewhere at my dad's house in Pensacola Beach. Living just 3.4 miles (not be exact) from Disney World now, it's a no-brainer to have them (and TIW card). Pays for itself in the first few weeks as much as we visit.

Free parking is a huge plus for AP's ... Though we live so close I don't even drive to the parks. I take a Lynx bus for $1.00 to the Cross Roads shopping center ... Walk across to the Best Western on Hotel Plaza Blvd. and get on a Disney bus and head to the parks. I can partake in adult beverages and not even have to drive home :) All for $1.50 and the cost of my AP.

The renewal cost is nothing if you compare it to how much a single park entry is now. Basically $100 a day and the AP is less than $500 when we renew. So going for five days on my AP and it has paid for itself. I do that in two weeks :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter