AoA Safe?

xoangelxo

Earning My Ears
A girlfriend and I are going alone to WDW... Is AoA (and the rest of the parks/ downtown Disney) pretty safe?

Safe from what? Definitely not safe from kids...those little buggers are everywhere and they'll get ya. ;)

A girlfriend and I are going alone to WDW... Is AoA (and the rest of the parks/ downtown Disney) pretty safe?

I am sure that you can find crime statistical reports that show offenses committed against Disney World resort guests. Nevertheless, from my perspective I can tell you that my family has been visiting Disney World since the year it opened, and I have never felt unsafe on Disney property. Like with any other hotel and amusement park you have to be aware of your surroundings. Nevertheless, Disney does a pretty good job in keeping their guests safe from petty criminals and bad elements on their property.

My DH and I took our 3 kids to WDW and stayed at POR Dec 28, 2011-Jan1, 2012. It was VERY crowded during that time. We allowed our 16 yo DD to travel to DTD on two different nights. She used the bus both times and felt very safe exploring on her own. While I'm sure that there may be instances where one should be cautious I can say that from our experience we felt very safe during our time on property. I would imagine that AoA would provide the same type of environment as well. :thumbsup2

Safe from what? Definitely not safe from kids...those little buggers are everywhere and they'll get ya. ;)

:rotfl2:

I have to add....watch out for the golf carts full of mouse keepers in the early morning if you are walking on the paths near the lake. Seriously, they drive like maniacs! :drive:

I've been to WDW several times by myself, stayed at AoA and other value resorts, and never felt unsafe anywhere on property at any time of the day or night. Most places are well lit and there's usually people around, unless you're like me and get up at 5:30AM on vacation. :rotfl:

Use basic common sense and chances are pretty darn good that you won't have any problems.

Never felt unsafe at Disney World in 25 years of visits. I don't think our family has ever had a conversation about safety concerns on Disney Property. It isn't an issue. Of course, lock your Disney hotel door, lock your car door, don't leave valuables behind such as, on a stroller, unsecured in your room, or setting your wallet/phone down and forgetting it. Common sense stuff. If you lose something in the parks, Disney and Disney guests are especially good about trying to return it to you thru Lost and Found.

I've never seen anyone I would assume to be homeless anywhere on WDW property, especially not at the resorts. There are entrance gates for people arriving at resorts by car, and I don't believe foot traffic on the roads is really encouraged (or allowed at all).

I've heard in the past there was a small problem with panhandlers in the DTD parking lots, but it's been a while since I read about it happening, so I'd assume it was either untrue or has stopped.

Disney property, about twice the size of Manhattan, is Disney-only. It's thousands of acres of wetlands, interspersed here and there with the parks and the hotels. It's very rural/suburban looking. It's not like Universal-Sea World where there are a number of off-property streets with various hotels, motels, restaurants, misc stores, etc. Disney Property is a big, one-owner bubble. Perhaps Disney resorts cost more, but this is why. Everything is close vs staying off-property, everything is consistent in its maintenance, management and high standards. Almost everyone is employed by Disney, something over 60,000 people. The resorts have a guard gate. The parks have paid parking lots. There is Orange Co Sheriffs on-site (who try to stay behind-the-scenes) as well as plenty of uniformed and non-uniformed security. If someone is causing trouble, they are whisked away fairly quickly to a backstage area, then moved off-property. I've never seen homeless there, but there are many thousands like me, who wish Disney World was our home!

I travel to Disney every summer as a solo adult with 2 kids. I have never ever felt unsafe.

Its nothing like a big city? No homeless or anything?

Seriously? Homeless people at WDW? There is no way Disney is going to allow that to happen. My dd and two of her friends traveled to WDW when they were 18...high school graduation trip. They had no issues at all.
I go solo all the time. I've even walked from DHS to Boardwalk at 1:30am....along the walkway that runs beside the canal. Spooky? A little. But I never felt unsafe.

Very safe! I have taken solo trips and have always felt very safe and comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Its nothing like a big city? No homeless or anything?

WDW is not in any way like a big city. It's 40+ square miles of private property, owned by the Disney company. Theme parks and resorts are separated by miles of highways, manicured lawns, and forests. Resort and theme park properties are covered by security guards and cameras, everywhere.

It it safe? Yes, as safe as any other resort destination. As PPs have said, you keep your room and car doors locked as you would anywhere; not all of your fellow guests are immune to temptation.

I would feel pretty comfortable in stating that there are no homeless people in WDW. :)

I have only ever felt uncomfortable and slightly unsafe once in all my visits to WDW. I was staying at POP and was in the parking lot late at night when I heard a very loud, drunken man cursing in an otherwise empty area. I could not locate where he was but could tell by his voice he was moving. I think the fact that I could not see him but judged him to be close by played a large part in my discomfort. I walked back to my room on alert with a heightened sense of my surroundings.

As others have said: Use your best judgment as you would anywhere else but don't be afraid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter