AOA/LM room or Riverside???

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by arielfan, Sep 9, 2012.

1. arielfan

arielfan Mouseketeer

For $89.00 more we can get a room at Port Orleans Riverside. We have reservations at AOA in the Little Mermaid room, but I think for the $89.00 I might change??? What do you think? Thank you for your comments.:surfweb:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. PictureJumpr

PictureJumpr At Least 'til it Rains

While I am as interested as anyone to stay in AoA.... I'd totally switch from Little Mermaid (standard value room) to Riverside for such a small upcharge.

The Riverside rooms are larger, the bathroom sink/vanity areas are larger (which can really be a plus depending on how many hairbrushes and toothbrushes are coming along with you ;)), and there are fridges in the rooms, to start with...

4. tinktinktink

tinktinktink Mouseketeer

I would stick with AoA. It's new and how many chances will you have to stay in a new Disney resort.

5. tinktinktink

tinktinktink Mouseketeer

AoA is new and my thought is how many chances will you have to stay at a new Disney resort. The pool theming looks so nice !

6. alc571

alc571 DIS Veteran

We struggled with the same decision, but ultimately decided to stay at POR. I would love to stay at AOA, but DH had concerns with them still being in the "working the kinks out" stage and it being super busy because it's new. Also, the queen beds were a bonus! AOA has double beds.

From what I understand, all the Value resorts have been updated to include a mini-fridge in all the rooms.

7. mad madam mim78

mad madam mim78 DIS Veteran

I'd go with Riverside. It's a moderate so you get the pools with slides. AoA just has a pool. The boat to DtD is great. Plus I'm sure that's quite a bit of savings. Think of all the food and souvineers you could buy!!!!

8. wdw4rfam

wdw4rfam DIS Veteran

I would STAY at AOA. We just stayed at POR this year, we are a fam of 5, so we have limited choices. I was not impressed at all. We would rather pay for 2value rooms, or a suite, then go back to POR. We actually got a military discount, so we just booked a suite at AOA, and cancelled our POR for April 2013- we actually are paying $900 MORE to go to AOA. Dont get me wrong, POR is beautiful- but the buses we terrible, that 4 stop thing was crazy. I would much rather go to AOA and wait in a bus LINE, and know that when the bus pulls up it is not going to be FULL, and that the people who got there first will be let on in that order!!!! It a personal preference with us, although POR has a strong following also. We did like the foodcourt at POR, and the grounds are so pretty.

9. Z28KatCar

Z28KatCar "A wish is a dream your heart makes"

I would have to say POR. Value resorts have smaller beds, smaller rooms and are usually packed with tour groups! POR is beautiful and has a more relaxed atmosphere. The buses will be busy at most resorts but more so at value resorts. :crowded: At POR there are a lot of activities including boat rentals, surrey bike rentals & Horse and carriage rides. They have daily activities at the pool. You can take the boat to DTD and they have more dining options. Just my thoughts. Good Luck!:thumbsup2

10. mousefan73

mousefan73 DIS Veteran

We just got back from port orleans FQ but spent alot of time at riveride using the pool, boat , dining etc. But before iur pavkage started we spent a day in our rental checking out other resorts and AOA was one of them. Now, i am not sure who all is in your party, ages etc. But we said right away that AOA looked cool but most likely not for us.

I would say unless you have a little kid obesed with cars, ariel, lion king etccc and they HAVE to,see the plastic staues them book AOA.

11. mousefan73

mousefan73 DIS Veteran

Sorry hit send too soon. Anyways we felt that AOA was too "open" , not enough trees and it felt hotter there. It was hectic and the colors, design is very strung. But some guests want to be staying in a hotel like that ( Disney in your face)

Now riveride for use was more realxing, esp. the scenery beautiful, the grounds etc. And we have a 6 /7 yr old boy girl and they loved taking the boat and the slides.
    The pool at AoA was crowded and had much more overall action. But very limited shading. Riverside was not so packed, slide, shade but still fun kid activities.

For each its own. I wouldnt mind staying at AOA for a few days just for the experience but a whole week would exhaust me.

12. FantasiaMagic

FantasiaMagic DIS Veteran

Well, besides the price (which is not much more for a mod), if other amenities make a difference to you such a a pool w/ slide. POR has one, but AoA does not. Also, POR has a boat that goes to DTD. :goodvibes

If it were me I would prob pick AoA b/c it is new and looks very nice and I LOVE the theming!!! :cool1:

Good Luck deciding! :)

-FantasiaMagic pixiedust:

13. arielfan

arielfan Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone, I still don't know what to do!!:coffee:

14. arielfan

arielfan Mouseketeer

Bump.........:surfweb:

15. buffalogirl

buffalogirl <font color=deeppink>Ohh do I get to be first?<br>

Based on your user name alone, I'd say AoA Little Mermaid! ;)

It's brand new and has a great theme!

16. WAMUMOF4

WAMUMOF4 DIS Veteran

We are AOA now I would say stay at POR it looks nice and the themeing is great but we have woken several times at night because it sounds like someone is in your room but it's just people walking back to there rooms.

17. arielfan

arielfan Mouseketeer

Too funny!! I do love Ariel, just alittle unsure where we should stay.

18. arielfan

arielfan Mouseketeer

Is there hottubs at Riverside? Thanks:wave2:

19. ninafeliz

ninafeliz Mouseketeer

My $.02. Stay at POR. Beautiful theming, boat to DTD, larger rooms, queen beds, 2 sinks, step up in category for small price increase. Also, and this is just personal opinion, as interesting as the values can be to look at I prefer the less plasticky in your face theming of the moderates over the values. But I know others disagree and love the values theming. If your kids just love LM, then it would be a harder decision! I also love to se Bob Jackson's show at POR.

20. ninafeliz

ninafeliz Mouseketeer

Yes, there is a hot tub at Riverside

21. Highway in the Sky

Highway in the Sky Earning My Ears

I am dealing with this same issue....aaaah. Months of getting excited, but now being a little underwhelmed with the final result. So stuck. I just love my boats to DTD, yet I love the idea of staying at a new resort :confused3

EDIT
    I've decided to do the switch. In the end, the pluses compared to AoA are just overwhelming in comparison. More quiet, the boats, the beds, the fridge, the space, the landscaping, the trees, etc. Had to. I don't want to settle and yes AoA is new and that would be a novelty...but a short lived one. At least the POR rooms are renovated and look amazing. Still very excited to visit AoA however, and definitely will on this upcoming trip.