Anyone used the World Passport Collection?

Discussion in 'DVC Member Services' started by firedog83, Mar 1, 2009.

1. firedog83

firedog83 Earning My Ears

I am thinking about purchasing DVC and I was wondering if any one had any good/bad experiences going outside disney using the World Passport collection. I have read some say that you get the most use of points if you stay within disney resorts but I have never read an explanation as to why? I know there is a 95.00 transfer fee but 160 points for a 1 bedroom does not seem to bad. How is the booking when you go through RCI? Any difficulties? I took the DVC this past Saturday and loved BLT but I am thinking on the value side of things and I can get double the points buying resale at SS. Our guide told us booking outside of disney was the same as booking the disney resorts but I would not expect him to tell us otherwise. RCI offers a pretty good selection of places to visit. Thanks for the input in advance.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. WKSumner

WKSumner Earning My Ears

I have booked outside of the Disney hotels and never had any problem. We have used world passport and concierge with no troubles. We live in AZ and also stayed at Disneyland on points and love it! All book through DVC just like DVC resorts. I hope this helps. Good Luck!:cool1:

4. ErieCruiser08

ErieCruiser08 Mouseketeer

How far out did you book for the World Passport Collection?

5. WKSumner

WKSumner Earning My Ears

I do not remember exactly, however I believe 90-180 days. Depending on availability sooner is possible. It never hurts to try. I think we did one under 60 days.

6. phyllisnnj

phyllisnnj Mouseketeer

I suggest reading the Timeshare User Group (TUG) Advice page titled "Timeshare 101" - http://www.tug2.net/advice/TimeShare-101.htm

Here are some highlights from the exchange section

7. littlestar

littlestar DIS Veteran

If you want to buy DVC points to stay primarily at the DVC resorts, then I'd buy. But if you're buying to use it to exchange through RCI, you're basically buying a Mercedes to trade when you could have used a Chevette or a Pinto to do it.

DVC points have expensive maintenance fees. We own other timeshares besides our DVC points - one of these other timeshares I only paid $800 dollars for and it has maintenence fees of $300 a year. I can regularly trade into high end Hyatt's, Westins, etc. with that resale timeshare. The maintenence fees on 160 DVC points is around $600 to $700 dollars, not to mention the buy-in cost of probably around $12,000 dollars with closing.

Buy DVC to primarily use it for booking DVC. Every once in a while using DVC for a trade might work out (for certain resorts in high demand places), but you are overpaying big time if you buy DVC to use it to trade on a regular basis. People that own those $500 to $800 weeks in RCI will love you for trading it, though. ;)