Anyone travel alone?

sweeteypie1118

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about a 2012 trip to Ireland. Has anyone traveled alone? If so, did you feel uncomfortable being around all couples and families, or are there other "loners"?

I've traveled on two ABD trips "alone". That being said, the trips were both DIS trips. I wouldn't hesitate to go on a non-DIS ABD trip alone though. Once you are in the group and traveling together, you'll bond with other travelers...couples and singles alike. In my experience (limited though it is), there has always been others traveling on their own. You'll definitely have time on your own and time with the group both planned and unplanned. Most people are very welcoming or they wouldn't be on a group trip. Go for it!!

I've been on 4 ABD's, and have done them all as a solo. 3 of them were Adults-only. But I never felt awkward on any of them. You really do bond quickly with the others on the tour. The Adventure Guides are really marvelous at setting up an environment where everyone is on an adventure *together*. I wouldn't hesitate to take any of the ABD's as a solo.

There have also always been other people traveling solo on all 4 trips I've done. But that never really mattered.

That said, do remember that there is a single supplement added to the cost of doing an ABD as a solo, unless you get yourself a roommate (ABD will not help with that). ABD's single supplement is one of the lowest I've seen.

Sayhello

I have done 3 ABD's solo and I have never felt uncomfortable. I really enjoyed myself and being a solo traveler I feel a bit better doing the ABD tours than trying to do the trips on my own. As for the single supplement, it is about 40 percent of the double price. All prices are based on double occupancy so they charge a supplement when only one is in a room. All tour companies, or at least the ones I have looked into have a single supplement.

Is there a doubles price, or is it just the regular price times 2? I was looking at their pricing and I believe Ireland is 4,100. So is it 40% of 4,100 extra or 40% of 8,200?

Is there a doubles price, or is it just the regular price times 2? I was looking at their pricing and I believe Ireland is 4,100. So is it 40% of 4,100 extra or 40% of 8,200?
Using your figures, the single supplement would be around 40% of $4,100 (an extra $1,640). So the total for a single would be around $5,740.

Sayhello

Thank you for the info. Kind of bummed now that it will be so much more than I originally thought! maybe I'm not going to Ireland afterall :sad2:

Thank you for the info. Kind of bummed now that it will be so much more than I originally thought! maybe I'm not going to Ireland afterall :sad2:
It is *definitely* the downside to traveling solo. It's worse if you cruise! The single supplement for most cruiselines is pretty much 100% (so you pay the same as 2 people in a cabin.) Sucks, but it beats not traveling!

But check out Dreams Unlimited. They're offering an early booking discount (if you book by the end of September) *and* an American Express Gift Card for booking ABD with them. Maybe that will help make it more affordable.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!