Anyone trade pts. for a South Fla location?

TheWho

DIS Veteran'
Hi all,
I'm looking to travel Xmas week and I'm not sure if Vero is going to work out. Has anyone traveled anywhere in South Fla?

Family friendly, nice beaches, pool, warm, East coast or West

Besides Orlando, I'm clueless on Fla.

I don't have to trade. I'm willing to pay cash if a nice resort or nice area to escape from NJ for a week. Thanks!!

Clearwater Beach has some nice hotels.

We usually stay at the Sheraton Sand Key but probably won't go back after our last visit.

Naples is nice-Laplaya Resort was recently redone, I think.

What price range are you thinking?

Thanks floridafam,

I'm looking around ballpark, $200 a nite, little higher if needed.

The Sheraton Sand Key usually runs under $200 a night depending on when you go. I don't know if you are a smoker or non-smoker. The issue we had was with smoking so if it doesn't bother you then it is one beautiful hotel. DH and I were engaged and married there.

I believe their website is beachsand.com

Right across the street is the Radisson Resort. I have heard many good things about this one. It is not right on the beach but within walking distance.

Laplaya resort in Naples might be more than $200 but it was recently redone and you might enjoy it. I wouldn't exactly say Naples is as family friendly as Vero Beach or Clearwater Beach or Sand Key. Their website is laplayaresort.com

Clearwater Beach hotel is nice.

The Registry Resort in Naples is good for families, or so I've heard.

Have fun.

I've enjoyed vacationing on Fort Myers Beach for a number of years. One time we had a big family reunion and rented a 4BR beach house plus a few smaller condos nearby. But otherwise I've stayed at a very nice family-oriented resort called "The Sandpiper." We stayed in a 1st floor gulffront room this spring for just under $200 a night. Those are the most expensive rooms. The resort is fairly small in size, but it has 2 pools (one for adults only), a hot tub, shuffleboard, and a watercraft rental business on the grounds where you can rent jet skis, arrange for parasailing, etc. The beach is beautiful and the resort is very well kept. All units have a kitchenette and will accommodate up to 6 people. The resort is in the middle of Estero Island, so it is away from the more congested end of things. Nice Publix store just half a mile away. No restaurants at the resort, but plenty of places close by.

There are lots of comparably priced resorts on Ft. Myers Beach too. i.e. - Outrigger, Holiday Inn, Neptune Inn, etc. There are 2 resorts that are trade-out resorts for DVC points. I went to check them out. They were okay, but I decided to use my points for other places while continuing to pay cash and stay at the Sandpiper.

Sanibel Island has some beautiful resort areas too, but they are more expensive. Also a number of trade-out places for DVC pts., all of which I went to look at. Plenty of nice choices there, although availability could be trickier depending on when you would want to go.

As was mentioned, Clearwater Beach is a beautiful area too. When I've stayed in that area, I've tended to go to Dunedin Beach instead of Clearwater Beach because there are fewer spring breakers at Dunedin. ;)

I've also stayed in the Melbourne area on the east coast a couple times, but I decided I like the beaches on the Gulf coast better. JMHO. :D

Kinda long, but hope it helps. :D

Just to echo what travelbug said. Clearwater Beach does have a lot of young people on it at any given time. That is why we went to Sand Key-it's a whole different world across the bridge. Much quieter, more family oriented, etc.

I have an extra bedroom that you could have for $200 per night!!!

We are about fifteen miles from the beach in beautiful Weston. Lovely palms, movie stars, athletes and rich people of all sorts. You could breakfast with the irrepressible Richyams, learn offensive driving techniques and even get to see a butterfly ballot!!

I met Curtis Sleewa in Publix last Saturday. I said to the guy I was with, "That guy looks just like Curtis Sleewa, only younger." He said "Curtis who?" He noticed me looking at him and I said, "Wow, you look just like Curtis Sleewa, only your too young", he said, "Forty-nine years old, thank you.", I had met him a few times in NYC in the early 80's, we chatted, he looked great.

This happens all the time down here, two weeks ago I met that big pro wrestler guy, something Goldberg, he was not happy that I didn't know who he was.

We keep our horse in the same barn as Dan Marino, I think Jose Conseco is on some sort of vacation presently, but he lived right around the corner.

Can't promise any celeberity sightings, but I think a week with Richyams is worth $200 a night.

Marco island, eagle's nest resort you can use your dvc points.
and its located on the gulf beach.

we love marco island and even though we have not tried eagle's nest, we have always rented a condo from the same owner from apollo condo. both of these resort/condo are right on the beach, ocean front resort/condo.
we have always gone easter/spring break :sunny:

We Did!
When we first got the ok to make reservations that the closing was done on our DVC. We called member services about a trade they took the info. 1st choice 2nd choice they said they would get back with a trade as soon as they had a match.
We didn't want reservations until August 2004 so we figured we would get lucky.
We wanted to go to the Sarasota area.
They called in a week with a match. Yeah
We will stay at a place called Limetree.
If you can't make it through your DVC, trading points below is a link to contact them.
Also I have included another place that you make like.
I am a Florida gal so if you would like another area just ask. Been here my whole life.

here's the links Dave
Good Luck!
http://www.limetree.com/

http://www.turtlebeachresort.com/

:Pinkbounc
July

Eagles Nest looked really nice. We stayed at the marriott marco island and it was just redone pretty upscale with great pool areas, etc. Wonderful beach and farther south so better chance of warm weather

Sanibel Island (near Ft. Myers) gets my vote. It's a beautiful island. Lots of nice beaches, bike path, good restaurants, very laid back. VERY family friendly. Check out www.sanibel-captiva.org for rentals directly from owners of condos for good rates.

ttfn3, kem330, July, wdwstar, floridafam & travelbug,

You guys are the best!!

I'm actually leaning towards the Fort Myers area. I found a flight that wasn't totally out priced.
Sanibell, Marco, Naples, they all look good. I'm probably going to settle on something that is on the beach with a good pool (I have 4 & 8 yr old girls).

You guys have given me a lot to research. Thanks!!:D

I grew up in the Ft. Myers area and would highly recommend the Sanibel/Captiva area.

Interesting! Dan Marino stays in the same barn as your horse! (smile) I couldn't resist being a Jet fan!! He was a great quarterback!!

Rich........you are too funny. Leave it up to you to give me my laugh for the day!!!!!!!!!!

Well I booked my flight to Ft Myers for xmas week. Now,
I have to decide on a place, Marco Island, Sanibel or Ft. Myers.

I checked using my DVC points but don't have the inventory.

My thoughts (once again, all I know about Fla is WDW):

The Marriott on Marco looks awesome, zero entry pool for my little one, good food on site, beach right there, HOWEVER, low $300's a nite. More than I wanted to pay, but as you guys know, I'm a DVC owner and I do things first class or don't do at all. Is it worth it, I wonder?

Sanibel looks great and closer. However, I'm having trouble finding a place. Any help would be appreciated.

One note, my return flight is at 8:40 am so I do want to stay in the Frt Myers proper the night before. I might do my first 4 nites in Marco Island and the last two at Sanibel/Ft Myers. I don't know.

Any thoughts, what would you do?

what do you mean about the inventory? you dont have enough points or dvc doesnt have the resort available?

do you have an entertainment book or aaa for marco island

or if you dont have enough points you can always borrow points or rent points;)

I think they just redid most of the Marriott on Marco Island.

You may want to register for their e-mail specials on Marriott.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter