Anyone take Bonine?

casjen

DIS Veteran
I recently developed air sickness which stinks as I didn't realize I had it until ...well you know. It has happened multiple times now and I have managed to not horribly embarrass myself by using accupressure on my wrists but I have decided to try bonine. Trying not to lose it in a tiny paper bag is not how I like ending my trips. I get sleepy on "less drowsy" dramamine so is this going to be the same? Anyone have experience with this? Any good recommendations for something to take?

Also, I stopped riding Rockin rollercoaster years ago b/c all 3 times I did I was horrifically dizzy and queazy for hours after. Would bonine help with that? I think I may have to ride b/c my boys want to ride and they aren't big enough for one to go without sitting next to Dad (they are 8 and 9 and don't want to ride sans adult).

I am dreading my flight to Disney and a few rides now that my body is betraying me. Any motion sickness tips you can give would be great.

FWIW I am fine on Soarin and space, splash, everest and big thunder and the old star tours. I am worried about the new one but figure the bonine will be on board.

Bonine affects everyone differently. It makes me drowsy. You may want to try it before travelling to see if it makes you fall asleep or not.

The only thing that works for my nausea is ginger root pills. You can get a bottle of a 100 for around $7 at GNC or Vitamin World. The GNC ones I take once in the morning, and the Vitamin World ones I take once in the AM and once at lunch - however it says to on the bottle. It's a natural remedy so I have had no side effects. Sometimes in the Asian section of your grocery store, you can also find ginger candy to suck on if you need it.

I also take ginger pills and suck on ginger candy to help with air or motion sickness.

I just take half of a pill and haven't had any trouble with motion sickness or tiredness. I do this before going to the parks that have rides I know will cause motion sickness and so far have not had any problems.

I love Bonine. I take it on the plane, so I don't fill my airbag, and take it the first day of cruising. What a great idea to take it at the parks, I may try that also!
I even gave a small amount to my DD for our cruise as she was sick also.
I'd do it!

I strongly recommend trying the Bonine before your trip. I took it and it made me REALLY tired. I mean, soooooooo tired I could not function. I then purchased children's bonine and used that along with ginger pills. I believe the children's bonine was a different formulation NOT just a smaller dose, but I could be wrong.

The combo of the children's bonine + ginger pills worked for me. I did Tea Cups and Astro Orbiter and was fine. I did, however, focus on a single point during those rides - which helped. The only time I had trouble was doing Space Mountain 4 times in a row. I did start to feel sick after that.

I always take Bonine for travel... planes, trains, automobiles (if I am not driving!). I find it doesn't make me consistently tired, as dramamine did, but if I sit down and close my eyes (like on the plane), poof, I am out, and then when we land I am awake and fine!

I always take it to go to the theme parks. There's no way I'd be able to tolerate the parking lot tram or the monorail, much less rides like BTMRR without Bonine. Ginger does NOT work for me. It keeps me from vomiting, but I am still incredibly dizzy when I take it. (It's an antiemetic, not an anti-nausant.) It's almost worse, to be that sick and not be able to throw it up and away...

Less drowsy Dramamine and Bonine have the same ingredient -meclazine. Works for me, but I sometimes use scopolamine patches if going on small boats in rough water. It is a prescription med with various side effects - none for me, though.

I took Bonine the first day of a cruise and felt fine all afternoon - but DO NOT drink alcohol (it probably says that somewhere that I didn't read;)) I had a cocktail with dinner and didn't even make it to the theater. Practically passed out cold!:lmao: So be careful!

Proof that meds affect everyone differently - I can take the 24 hour 'less drowsy' Dramamine and have a couple of beers throughout the day and it doesn't phase me. Lucky (or a big-boned girl) I guess!

My hubby takes the 24 hour Dramamine (actually he takes 2 when we fly...) even on park days because of the buses, the attractions, etc. I take it to fly and I plan on taking it this year when I try RRC and EE! I think I will be OK but it can't hurt. Better than the time I took nothing and went on the 'hurl-a-whirl' at the county fair... :laughing:

I take Dramamine on long car trips (it works and knocks me out cold), but when I go to WDW, I take Bonine in the AM. I can ride the tea cups with minimal side effects (so long as the kids don't get too crazy) and ALL thrill rides (minus MS:Orange). Bonine doesn't make me drowsy, but Dramamine knocks me out cold. I was deciding between Bonine and a less-drowsy Dramamine and the pharmacist recommended Bonine. He says it lasts longer. However, the main ingredient was the same. :confused3 So maybe he was just trying to push Bonine. However, I take it because I know it works and I don't want to chance something in the less-drowsy Dramamine mucking up my day. :lmao:

Less drowsy Dramamine and Bonine have the same ingredient -meclazine. Works for me, but I sometimes use scopolamine patches if going on small boats in rough water. It is a prescription med with various side effects - none for me, though.

I used the patches for a couple of trips - the last trip when we got home, coming "off" the medicine made me sick for a week! It was awful! Never again -

I'm back to bonine and like others say I take it an hour before the flight - I also watched MythBusters and they tested all the seasickness remedies - Ginger worked best!

So I have the candied ginger - I keep them in my bag, and chew on those, as well as lemon drops - after a ride I'll chew on the ginger and drink a Sprite, it does help settle my stomach!

I never got sick on rides or planes until getting pregnant with my youngest DD (an unexpected Disneyland souvenir!) and I've started taking the Bonine about an hour before flying or heading to an amusement park. It does wonders for me. Doesn't make me tired at all but like others, I'd recommend taking it before your trip to see how it affects you. It about knocks my mom out but she's a tiny little thing.

Bonine didn't seem to make me tired when I was using it on cruises, but I typically only take half of a tablet. Probably a good idea to experiment ahead of your trip to see what will happen, though.

Also, it's good to stay hydrated, have some food in your stomach, and get plenty of rest. I've found that lacking any of those makes my motion sickness problems more likely to happen/worse.

I have taken Bonine and had good luck with it. I tried it based on a travel agent suggestion on our first cruise. She said it wouldn't make me sleepy and it's ok to take and still drink alcohol. Worked on the cruise, and it worked on the more intense rides at WDW. It seems very mild to me. Good luck:)

Sorry I haven't had the bonine but saw your post and made me smile so I have to share my story I will try not to take too long. (sorry I did end up taking long)

My mom (not a travler had only flown to Las Vegas once) my sister got married in Jamaica and we all went. My mom usuall takes Dramamine but her friend told her to try the Bonine instead. We left the hotel to go to the airport before the cafe was open she took the medicine without eating. We get to the airport and I tried to tell her to eat something but she wouldn't listen so we boarded the plan as we were taking off she looked at me and said I'm going to be sick. me "seriously we aren't even off the ground yet" let me tell you this I am one of those people that start to get sick when I hear others getting sick (and certain smells make me sick) so just imagine our flight to GA once there we had to switch planes by that time she had a migrane she couldn't carry any of her stuff thru the airport and we had to go thru the whole airport to get to our next gate got there barely. Got on the plane she never actually got sick but like I said the noise is what sets me off so we finally arrive in Jamaica at customes they tell me which desk to go to and my mom follows me without seeing where she needed to go she came up next to me and laid across the desk with her head and her arm draped acrossed it (I'm thinking to myself what is she doing ) so i whisper to her "mom you realize they haven't let you in yet and if you act like you are that sick they may quarantine you " her head snapped right up "I'm Ok I'm ok" she was able to act half normal till we got out of there then we go to get on the bus and she picked the window seat I told her I don't know if you want to sit by the window because cars are coming opposite of what we are used to of couse she said she was fine once we got on the road it made her sick and we had to trade places. But we made it to the hotel!!!!!

Anyway the next day a cab came to take us to go bamboo rafting I told my mom not to take another one of those pills because she should be fine floating down a river so we drive almost 2 hours away she waits till I pay the 250.00 for us then proceeds to tell me she can't go because she is sick again I said "how can you be sick" I honestly thought she was going to say the cab ride but instead " I took another one of those pills" "what I told you those made you sick and not to take them" We were with my aunt and uncle there and I was worried because they don't have a place for you to sit and wait and the cab drivers don't stay with you but we were really blessed that day our Driver Owen said he would go to the pick up point and let her sleep in his van and he would stay there. He left mom in the van and he sat outside waiting and checked on her every 15-20 minutes. I was going to just stay with her till the others were done but mom said you paid 250.00 one of us better get to do it. So if you are in Jamaica and have a cab driver Owen he is the best tip him well. Going home mom bought dramamine at the airport didnt get sick at all coming back but she came to the final conclusion " I don't think I am a world traveler" me "no mom I don't think so either but you got a stamp in your passport"

Ok sorry I wrote a book some may think I was mean to my mom but we were actually laughing all the time and we pick on each other all the time. I am still giving her grief about this trip but have to say that trip to Jamaica was some of my happiest times with her. :lovestruc

First tried Dramamine and while waiting for the Disney Bus at ASMo to go to Magic Kingdom, I fell asleep on the bench against the building. It was HOT (I was in the shade) and lots of noise, but I was OUT!! Somehow mom and DS got me back to our room (and LEFT ME THERE ;) )! I don't blame them. No reason they should miss out on the fun. I slept well!!!

Tried "less drowsy" Dramamine. Didn't really seem to have a good or bad effect on me, until I went on Universe of Energy!! OUT COLD!! Now, it IS a relaxing ride (slow moving vehicles, cool, etc), but I have to blame the meds.

Bonine and Ginger Root. Neither seemed to have any effect at all. I still wasn't able to go on RNRC more than once and still felt the same when I got off the ride. So I am STILL looking for the miracle cure!

I am one of those who cannot take Dramamine. Beginning the night before my cruise and for each night during the cruise, I take Bonine. I have also used ginger pills, but I like the continuous effect of the Bonine over the ginger pills. I have also grown into the motion sickness of the parks as I have gotten more mature :) so I am determined that next time I will either try the Bonine each night at bedtime or go the ginger pill route on regular basis. I am too young at heart not to enjoy the parks as I always have - at least until my neck degeneration takes me from it. :rotfl:If it's not one thing, it's another.

and really - I know the ginger root pills are more convenient, but ginger snap cookies, and candied ginger will help settle your stomach - so once you get off those spinning rides, roller coasters, or drops -

chew on the candied ginger - sip some Sprite or water, and it will help!

(again, MythBusters confirm ginger!)

Has anyone else tried the bracelets with the pressure points? (I think Sea Bands is the most popular brand.) I don't get motion sickness badly except on boats in rough water, but both my DD and MIL do and both have loved the bracelets. We always take them for long car trips and flying for my DD but I didn't even think about taking them in the parks. We definitely will this time (although she hasn't had many problems on rides.)

The best thing about them is that there is absolutely no side effects - but I would also venture to say that they will have different effectiveness for different people. They aren't very expensive those (~$5-10) so I was certainly willing to try it. After we got them there was no more problems in the car!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter