Anyone stayed at the Saratoga?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by SugarPlumFairyUK, Jan 29, 2013.

1. MrsDuck

MrsDuck DIS Veteran

SSR is one of our favorite resorts.

We always like to stay in Congress Park because it's so close to the walkway to DTD. :)

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. OklahomaTourist

OklahomaTourist Mouseketeer

We've stayed at SSR 3 times and each time has been super. SSR is an immaculate resort, tremendous landscaping and related eye candy, and the pools are beautiful. I love the "dive-in movies" they offer in the summer, even if its a older cartoon.

We travel as a party of five, including one very young senior (my mom), and a party that size necessitates accommodations that only a few Disney resorts can support - and SSR is among them. We stay in a 2-bedroom villa with washer/dryer and full kitchen, and its almost like staying at home. We eat most breakfasts in-room (which saves at least a little coin) and either walk to Downtown Disney or ride the buses to the parks.

My only real problem with SSR is that the buses to/from the parks are inconsistent.

My family's only hiccup in those three prior visits to SSR was in our last visit (2011), and we had the misfortune of arriving on the *day* Disney was modifying its reservation system worldwide to accommodate its then-new Hawaii offering, and the computers were not happy. As a result, our check-in was a nightmare - we were sent to one room where our keys would not work, then to ANOTHER room that where the keys wouldn't work (again), and then to a THIRD room that was already occupied!!! Yikes!!! We had planned our arrival (we drove) to spend our first afternoon shopping in Downtown Disney, but it took three hours to get checked in, essentially wasting the afternoon. I wasn't very happy, esp. when they suggested I might not get my 2BR villa...and I told the cast member on very firm terms that wasn't an option, and that I expected to get what I had reserved/paid for.

Once the dust settled, and we were (finally) in a suitable room, the manager apologized profusely for the trouble and comped us for that night. Given some of the issues I've read here, I think others with better Disney savvy might suggest I let them off cheap, but oh, well....

Anyway, please understand that was *one* bad data point, and the rest of that vacation was superb, so I personally chalk that one up to "stuff happens." I do think I'll take advantage of early check-in for our next visit, however :)

We're going back for what's probably a final time this June (kids growing up, sniff, sniff), and we're booked for SSR, and looking forward to it immensely.

4. dtauer

dtauer Mouseketeer

I agree with the other (most of them anyway) reports.

If you want to be completely Disney engulfed, and in the midst of the action, SSR isn't that resort. It's not close to the theme parks, and doesn't have the Disney theming many of the resorts have. That being said, that's also what we love about it.

When sitting at the pool, especially the quiet pools, it feels like you are a world away from the theme parks. The rooms are very quiet, and we think somewhat luxuriously furnished for a hotel room. Very peaceful and quiet throughout the resort.

However, from Congress Park, you are only a 5 minute walk from Downtown Disney and a bus ride from the theme parks.

Also, if you do want a more typical Disney food court or gift shop, Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter are a nice boat ride away.

For us, it's a great contrast, very relaxing and peaceful at the resort, but yet still a Disney resort and all of the conveniences and service that go with that. In addition, the nightime view of Downtown Disney across the lake is incredible. We love spending our evenings that aren't in a park, sitting at the Congress Park quiet pool and just gazing at the lights of Downtown Disney.

5. Talli16

Talli16 Earning My Ears

The new paddock pool is awesome. Great pool, play area for kids, slide, cs is good.

6. henderkm

henderkm Mouseketeer

We stayed there twice and liked it. We were in the Springs and Congress Park facing DTD.

To me, there is a calming feeling walking the grounds. Our granddaughter enjoyed the Paddock Pool and could have spent the whole vacation there.

We cooked quick meals in our room most of the time so we didn't use the food court much. If you are going to use the food court often, you may want to request a room that's close.

7. SugarPlumFairyUK

SugarPlumFairyUK Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone for your replies. Much appreciated.

One issue we have found out however since booking (way back last year) is that the Spa is closed now for refurb and will be throughout our entire stay. This has not pleased us as we knew there was good gym facililities there, and I also specifically wanted use of the spa, this was part of why we chose SS. :sad:

We are intending to request a room in CP so hope they can accomodate us on this. Fingers crosed.

I also thought it a little strange (or a lot strange!) that someone would go back to a place 4 times if it was so bad - maybe it was a mis-type?? :confused3:

8. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

I do wonder why you would keep going back??..this post does not sound honest...JMHO

AKK

9. SugarPlumFairyUK

Thank you for diecting me here - I'm still new to this site and the masses of info available on here, it's great!! I had no idea this was here - cheers :)

10. macnodos

macnodos DIS FAN

Loved SSR, it is our home resort. Been to Disneyworld about fifteen times and only wished we bought into DVC sooner! SSR is our home resort for reasons of economics, was the cheapest per pt. at the time, $65. Have never looked back. We have also rented our points out twice since owning.

Great location, not necessarily for parents of very young children because of distance to MK. When there, we always request "The Springs" for the great location to all the amenities, food,pool, and check in. When going to DTD, it is a fifteen minute walk to Cirque. A leisurely walk through the golf course.

No reason to be worried, you will love your stay. Dining is also excellent at "The Turf Club"

11. Micca

Micca Where there's a will, there's an heir

SSR is a very nice resort. We liked it so much we bought DVC there.:)
    The reason you don't see a lot of comments about it here is (as Darren pointed out) it's not in the very heart of the action, and the theming isn't as "fantasy" oriented. It's also probably easier to book reservations at SSR due to the size and (less) demand. But that's not to say it is sub-standard in any way. Hope you enjoy your stay. :earsboy:

12. DeluxePrincess

DeluxePrincess <font color=deeppink>Humming the Farm Town song...

Loved, loved, LOVED Saratoga Springs! We just stayed there in a 1bedroom villa over Christmas. We originally booked Art of Animation Little Mermaid and were offered an upgrade to OKW, SSR, or Coronado Springs. I chose SSR due to the proximity to Downtown Disney. I requested Congress Park and our request was granted. The resort was soooo quiet and peaceful. I loved being able to park right behind our building. We rode the bus several times too and the waits were all 15 minutes or less. DH loved it so much, he wants to stay there all the time! I'm still trying to get him to buy into DVC!

13. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you do consider buying into DVC, check out resales and save a lot of money.

14. Havana

Havana DIS Veteran

We have stayed at all of the DVC resorts and love them all for their special theming, or being close to parks. SSR is the resort I miss the most when I am staying somewhere else.I think it is because it is kind of an escape, it is so peaceful and easy to relax there.

15. SugarPlumFairyUK

Hi Nanette - I would be very interested to know how you get on with your room request. How did you actually make it? I have a specific part that I would like to stay in too and would be disappointed if I didn't get it. We will be there for 2 weeks so I kinda hope they can help out...

16. SugarPlumFairyUK

QUOTE=DeluxePrincess;47380834]Loved, loved, LOVED Saratoga Springs! We just stayed there in a 1bedroom villa over Christmas. We originally booked Art of Animation Little Mermaid and were offered an upgrade to OKW, SSR, or Coronado Springs. I chose SSR due to the proximity to Downtown Disney. I requested Congress Park and our request was granted. The resort was soooo quiet and peaceful. I loved being able to park right behind our building. We rode the bus several times too and the waits were all 15 minutes or less. DH loved it so much, he wants to stay there all the time! I'm still trying to get him to buy into DVC![/QUOTE]

Hi - how did you manage to make a request? If you don't mind me asking!

:)

17. SugarPlumFairyUK

Thanks Havana!

18. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Just add your request to your reservation. And, don't forget, a request is just a request. It isn't guaranteed.

19. nannette

nannette Dislikes Trolls! :)

I actually just called the DVC member services reservation number and asked to have it added to my reservation. As Deb said it is just a request, but I believe they really try to make it happen if at all possible. I'm also arriving very early on the 21st so I'll ask when I arrive and check in as well!

Good Luck to you and enjoy your time!!

~Nannette

20. SugarPlumFairyUK

Thanks Darren, I already have visions of us sitting by the pool at night with the bright lights of DTD across the water :) Hoping we can get the CP section....

21. SugarPlumFairyUK

Thanks Nanette - you too!! :)