Anyone short?

Misty89

DIS Veteran
wondering if there are any short people here on WW?
I am almost 5'2..
if you are short are you having any problems with losing?
do you have anything to share?

Tina

I am pretty short I am only 5'4 I cant find pants that fit me, usually they're to long i have to roll them up a couple times lol

I'm not on WW but I'm 4'10" and always have had a hard time losing but not because of my height, because of my motivation. I'm in a stuck spot again but it's my own fault - I'm not really watching and I'm really feeding my cravings.

I'm 5'3". I have just hit my first goal of losing 25 pounds...so it can be done. I jumped into this thread to see if anyone had a correlation between being short & losing weight. I'd be curious to see what is posted.

Thanks for starting this thread! :thumbsup2

And to ChloeMichelle - I usually shop at NY & Co. They have petite, short, average & tall pants...and I can usually find what fits. Also the Gap have those type of selections too. I did just find a great pair of Levi's at Target (on sale for $19.99) in short & they fit PERFECT!

Hope this helps...

Yea, I'm short (5'2) and find that my inability to lose weight was not because of my height but because of my lack of motivation. When I was younger and after the birth of my son (20 years ago) I had no problem losing weight, even though it took awhile to get the extra pounds off. Back then I was concerned about wearing fashionable clothes and looking cute. Now at 46, I could care less about looking cute and the clothes nowadays don't excite me. But I'm determined to lose weight now so that I don't become diabetic and to keep up with my younger sorority sisters! ;)

I'm 5' on a good day. :duck:

I tried using the Billy stretch bands today and I'm not tall enough to give it enough tension. I had to lift my hands even higher to get a little resistance. Then, I tried rolling the bands up. :lmao:

I'm on the On Your Own plan. :crazy:

What do I have to share? Keep moving. :yay:

well the math makes it harder. the shorter you are, the lower your healthy weight is gonna be. (for me its 105-125) , therefore, the calorie intake has to be less to maintain and even less to lose. I know to maintain, I need to stay at 1200 cals or so and to lose, its got to be around 1000. I wish I was 5'6 and could weigh around 130 or 140 and have a freaking cheeseburger every once in a while! :blush:

"5 foot on a good day" yup thats me. Sadly the last time at the doc the nurse told me "oops you're shrinking, but I'm just gonna put that you stayed the same." *sigh* And to add to the chorus yes it's a pain in the bum to lose weight when you are short, especially b/c your goal weight is lower. I aim for approximately 1500Kcal per day and that yields just over a pound per week of lose if I stick to it (sometimes it's a 1/2 lb and sometimes it's 2lbs). Waddle on and some day all the pounds will waddle off!

I'm 5'3, 40 and have 6 children. I am trying to lose 60 pounds. I have that pouch just below my belly button that I HATE!! I overheard a lady at the gym say that she had to have hers(little pouch) surgically removed, because no matter what the doctor's told her it wouldn't go away. I hope to heavens that is not true, because I can't afford surgery. I have to save for my next Disney Vacation ya know.

Back to the question. I think it is harder to lose being short. First our calories are lower, but you still need to eat enough to keep your metoblism moving. I find it is a never ending battle.

Count me in as one of the shorties!
I'm only 4'10". I did find the BMI-driven target weight charts intimidating at first... at least until I had a body comp analysis done. I realized it just wasn't going to be possible for me to weigh 100 lbs if my lean mass alone weighs more than that. I'm focusing on % body fat for a target, which will be around 45-50 lbs from now. Whew! Now if only I could get my butt in gear and kick up my cardio and weight training activities.... Curse that pesky inertia!

I'm 5'3. I usually work out 6 days/week. That's how I manage to lose weight. My weight loss has been slow (but steady), but that's mostly because I have a hard time not snacking when I'm not hungry. It can be done. :thumbsup2

I'm 5'1 and agree with the others that it's slow going.

lindalinda: I sure hope your numbers are not right and I'll have to stay at 1200 to maintain! I was hoping to at least get to push up to 1400 or 1500. Anyone else have any comments regarding caloric intake for losing or maintaining?

I've been staying below 1100 since Oct and have lost about 30#, so I've been losing at a rate of about 1.5# per week. I lost much quicker when I was younger at 2-3# a week. I'm currently at 119 with a goal of 110. I've just got to keep it off this time. I'm contemplating throwing away all of my fat clothes, but I hate to do it because I have some cute things. But I can really tell that the yo-yoing over the years is making it more difficult to lose this time.

You know how you have a pair of jeans or dress or something you shoot to get into? Well... I got into my size 6 jeans and just had to laugh. That high waist and tapered leg is really attractive. :rotfl: So I purchased a pair of really tight Seven for all Mankind jeans that are my new target. I'm looking forward to getting into a 4 and buying all new pants.
:banana:

ChloeMichelle said:
I am pretty short I am only 5'4 I cant find pants that fit me, usually they're to long i have to roll them up a couple times lol

I'd like to hear where others shop - particularly those that are really short like I am (5'1). ChloeMichelle - My oldest sister is 5'4 and the rest of us always thought she was TALL! It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized 5'4 is still considered petite. :scratchin

For me I've found clothes at Kohls, NY & Co, Gap, Eddie Bauer, Ann Taylor & Ann Taylor Loft. Levi's jeans fit well also.

Pugdog007 said:
I'm 5'1 and agree with the others that it's slow going.

I've been staying below 1100 since Oct and have lost about 30#, so I've been losing at a rate of about 1.5# per week. I lost much quicker when I was younger at 2-3# a week. I'm currently at 119 with a goal of 110. I've just got to keep it off this time. I'm contemplating throwing away all of my fat clothes, but I hate to do it because I have some cute things. But I can really tell that the yo-yoing over the years is making it more difficult to lose this time.

You know how you have a pair of jeans or dress or something you shoot to get into? Well... I got into my size 6 jeans and just had to laugh. That high waist and tapered leg is really attractive. :rotfl: So I purchased a pair of really tight Seven for all Mankind jeans that are my new target. I'm looking forward to getting into a 4 and buying all new pants.
:banana:

Hi i am alomsot the same stats as you. and i have set my short term goal at 115. then see how i look., with 112 being the goal at the end to maintain........I was always a size 3/4 my whole life ( short is fun sometimes) and then after i was married and had kids and got comfy...I ballooned up and did not pay attention. The size 4's in the store always apealed to me ( they looked my size :badpc: ) but never fit. I also bought a pair of goal pants.... A size 6 pair of dockers from kohls :goodvibes that could not get over my hips when i started WW, now i can wear them anytime ...i am at 119 this past week. I went to goodwill and bought a size 4 pair of jeans that feel tight like the dockers did a month ago, so i am hopeful by the end of march they will get on just as well :blush: .
I am glad i started this thread..nice to see lots of short people out there with me :)

Tina

Shopping comments - my mom was 4'11 and about 110 and she shopped at Petite Sophisticate or American Eagle Outfitters or JCPenny Petite section and still had to have pants hemmed. I find that as well but I have found that shopping at Lane Bryant Catalog online I can get petite pants (in large sizes) and don't have to have them hemmed and the crotch is even where it should be.

Add me to the short list. I'm barely 5'3" and may have shrunk now that I've gone thru menopause. I have to schedule my first bone density scan for sometime in the very near future. I recenty joined WW and I'm having an extremely difficult time sticking to the program. I've eaten whatever and whenever I wanted to for so long that any sort of discipline is a struggle. I haven't had that inspirational moment as of yet, you know the one when it finally "clicks". So, for now, its one day at a time, and believe me, its not easy.

Add me to the short list too! I'm 5'2 and trying to lose 25 lbs. It does seem harder being overweight when you are short - there is less height to spread out that extra weight on! I've been walking on my treadmill at least 2 miles a day and eating healthy. I haven't noticed much difference on the scale, but clothes fit a little better. Anyone else notice that too? I just wonder if I'm "doing it right" or maybe just not enough? :confused3

I really like the petite clothing at Eddie Bauer - the Vashon cut of their bottoms is awesome for me. I also like the Levi's Signature jeans - you can get these at Wal-Mart - they come in short and are a mid-rise stretch jean - they fit great and no hemming!

I'm 4'11 and At first it was hard. However 2 years later, I'm 56 pounds lighter! I did a SBD/Atkins mix. I was 183 and a size 14W! By my birthday 2004, I was down to 130. I'm now holding steady at 125 and a size 2. It's all the exercise I do. I started off with the firm and then went on to Cathe. She is great at helping you lose the weight and get in shape.

My only advice is to find a plan that works for you and to MOVE, MOVE, MOVE! I can't stress exercising enough. It will change your body if you stick to it.

I'm another short one. 5'1 if I stand REALLY TALL!

I am also among those who envies the taller people -eat least as far as weight is concerned! I would love to be able to spread mine out over a greater height!

As for clothes, I love the petite jeans from Avenue. They are about he only pants I do not have to hem.

I'm 5' 1 1/4". :teeth: Can't forget that quarter of an inch.

I started at 206, and am down to 186. Still have SOOOO long to go. That's probably the most frustrating thing - being short means having to be so much lighter. Plus, most petites are too big on me. I've taken to wearing regular capris -- they come to about the right place on my ankles. :rolleyes:

I shop primarily at Lane Bryant, since I was a size 20/22 (now a size 14/16) and they have petites.

I haven't had a problem losing weight thus far, but know as I weight less it'll get harder. Right now, my body is just adjusting rapidly to the dramatic decrease in calories. Once it settles into this new routine, I'll have to shake it up again with either less calories or more exercise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter