Anyone renting a vacation home?

calliest

Asante Sana, squash banana
I always go through VRBO, whereever we vacation. I was wondering if this was a common thing for Disney-goers. We couldn't afford the resorts and frankly wanted the comfort of a private home away from Disney instead of an off-site (nondisney) resort or hotel. As the trip approaches, I am growing nervous about driving and parking.

It is a very common thing! We have done both on and offsite, but because of our pets it's mostly off. Offsite has always been in a rental home. What is it about driving and parking that is making you nervous?

Well....I suppose it's the fact that I have a lot in tow. Two little ones and a double stroller. The thought of boarding a crowded bus/tram is worrisome, tbh. I haven't been to the parks since I was 8 (1994!) and I obviously did not pay attention to the parent stuff like parking or which parks even had parking lots etc.
I also worry about the regular rush hour traffic making us late. (I'm a worrier....this site is a blessing with all of the other planners!)
We got the hop tickets, but I am having a hard time keeping track of how to get from one park to another and where we should leave the car etc.

Also, Dante is really cute! I have two dogs myself. :) They are forever needing a haircut, no matter how frequently they're groomed. I have to vacuum twice everyday LOL

My son/wife have 6 kids, ages 7 mts - 11yrs and they were at Disney a couple months ago. They had a double stroller also and stayed offsite in a pool home in Windsor Palms. They've also done this other years when they had 2 and 3 kids. You do have to fold your stroller to get on the parking lot trams but if you get there early enough you probably can park within walking distance of the gate. AT MK you can wheel your stroller on the monorail. We don't find it a problem at all getting to the parking lots then either walking or taking the tram.

I have 3 young children and went a couple of times when 2 were in strollers. Like sympatico said, you have to fold up the stroller in order to board the parking lot trams so that takes some teamwork (one person holds the kids while the other wrestles the stroller onto the tram) but it wasn't that big of a deal. From what I remember, in order to park close enough to avoid the parking lot trams you need to arrive at the parking lot 10-15 minutes before opening time.

As for the drive to/from the parks and the traffic, it can be a little confusing & hectic the first time you make the drive from where you stay to the parks. But once you do it the first time and learn the route, it's not a big deal. Please don't let it stress you out too much. My wife is a big worrier when it comes to driving (she doesn't like to drive in places she isn't familiar with), and she is able to handle driving to/from a couple of times each trip.

We've stayed at Windsor Hills and have had zero problems when it comes to getting to and from the parks. We normally go early for rope drop, come back around 11ish for lunch/naps, then return around 2 or 3 and stay til after dinner. What we did last time was we brought our sit and stand for the airport, but rented a stroller from Kingdom Strollers - one of those nice double jogging strollers. They're awesome and extremely easy to push, even with the older kids in them. We rented a minivan as well. Getting to the parks is really easy, 10-15 minutes depending on which park. But again, parking is no problem at all and you can leave/return all day once you pay the first time. When you come back, you can usually tell the parking attendant that you just left for lunch and have a spot up front and they'll let you drive back up to the front. I've never run into traffic or anything like that. Quick rides to and from via some back streets to avoid the major roads. You'll probably hit yourself for worrying so much, in hindsight. :D

As for the trams, as others have said get there early. I don't recall having to use the tram much in the past though. Most of the lots are pretty walk-able.

Last edited:

Thanks for the reassurances, everyone! We are driving down from DC in our mini van and definitely taking our trusty britax double stroller. Last night was my last fast pass+ reservation so I am trying to relax and bask in the done-ness of it all....yet i still find myself checking the cancelled ADR thread for a jedi mickey reservation like a maniac. LOL!

Also, how does rope drop work if the resort people have the extra magic hour in the morning? If it says that MK opens at 9 then we should get there at 8:45?

I'm just spitballing here, but I know there's usually an entrance line you can go to when you have breakfast reservations before the park opens. Maybe the resort guests go through that line?

I've done an early breakfast with Pooh at Crystal Palace. We were there before the park opened and I don't remember there being a special entrance to the park. We just entered through one of the regular lines, told them we had breakfast reservations and were allowed in.

Sorry, I didn't mean to infer there was a secret door. :D It's one of the turnstyle lines, usually on the far left IIRC.

We are renting a vacation townhome this time due to the dogs traveling with us. We've stayed both onsite and offsite and still have a good trip regardless. Even when we stay onsite, we generally drive to the parks because that's what we prefer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter