Anyone out there have "fear of flying" and what do you take/do?

I use Ativan and it works great for me! I would definitely talk to your doctor. Tell your son to face his fears and how glad he'll be after he did it - it's a great accomplishment for someone who is so scared :)

What is Ativan?

What is Ativan?

It's an anti anxiety drug. It's like Xanax. You have to get a prescription from your doctor. I've taken it before, but Xanax works better for me. I call my doctor when I have to fly and he'll prescribe it for me. Works great. I flew all the way to Utah from Philly and slept the whole time.The only problem that I found with it is that sometimes I'm still a little sleepy when I get off the plane.
I'm glad your son is going to go.

Last edited:
bushmills-full-bottle.jpg

Used to have a horrible fear of flying - I always got either Xanax or Ativan from my doctor. They were just enough to take the edge off. I'm glad your son is going. :)

I take Ativan (lorazapam) anyway for my anxiety disorder. When I fly I just pop an extra one (on the advice of my doctor, I wouldn't just experiment) and I get through it. I think it's more of a placebo for me at this point, honestly. I'm not thrilled about flying, but I used to take the train and I just remind myself how long it took to get to Florida from Pennsylvania and I feel somewhat better.

I had my first flight back in February, and I'm almost 40 years old! The only way my husband got me on the plane to begin with was a trip to Disneyland. We're in TN so that was a very loooong first flight.

1) Telling me statistics DID NOT WORK. It's a tube flying thru the air with no attachment to the ground. I don't give a crap about statistics.
2)Watching shows about how planes work DID NOT HELP. Again, it's a tube flying thru the air with no attachment to the ground.
3) Alcohol helped very little, however Advil PM worked wonders! So well, in fact, we are flying to Orlando in December instead of driving--my idea!

Have you ever thought about your son taking an afraid of flying course??? I know that the airport I live close by to offers courses to those who are afraid of flying. If you are interested, check out your local airport and see if they have similiar courses. It might be something to look into. My kids also have major problems with flying, namely their ears refuse to equalize on take offs and landings. My solution to this was getting Earplanes, and they are the only thing that allows them to fly. Without them my kids would be grounded.

Last edited:

OP, it seems that your son has agreed to go with medication so I'm happy that you will get your trip. I thought I would still post anyway because I too have an extreme fear of flying. Do not be surprised or upset if he changes his mind and decides he can't fly after all. I loved to fly growing up but one day I began to develop anxiety about flying and all kinds of other things. I have gone to Disney every single year since I was two and I am almost 33. This is the first year that I have absolutely refused to step foot in the airport or plane. We are taking a large family trip and I told everyone I would drive from Virginia to Florida alone while everyone else flies because I don't want to inconvenience anyone. They of course said no and my dad agreed to drive the 14 hours with me (even though he isn't thrilled). The purpose of my post is to say that no matter what you tell your son, it won't matter and can sometimes make things worse. People who are afraid to fly know all of the stuff like, flying is the safest form of travel, look how many flights there are per day and how few problems, blah, blah, blah. None of this logic helps a person who has fear/anxiety about flying. After spending just about every flight for the last 8 or so years in tears, it just isn't worth it anymore. Embrace the fear of your loved ones and realize that if they could change it, they would. It means far more to someone if you agree to suck it up and drive the long distance rather than making them feel like the only way to have a trip is to fly. People who have never experienced extreme anxiety or fear related to flying will never understand what it's like.

Yes, direct flight all the way - hate layovers! Only had to endure two in my life and it really made the whole flying thing worse. Also, for a 16YO, I'm sure he has some video games he can play on his phone or something. My son wasn't the best flyer, but now that he has a college girlfriend from California (we are from Mass.), he has flown out to see her a few times on his own and at this point it is old-hat to him. Have fun on your trip!

TinkGirl128 - I do know how you feel. That kind of anxiety is not fun. For me it is the rides, even at WDW, and thank goodness for those chicken exits! I have been close a few times on some of the bigger rides, but need to get outta there quickly once that anxiety bubbles up. I think you dad is a great guy!

My husband gets a prescription for Xanax from his GP. He has to get a physical and then the doctor fills a small amount for our trip. He takes 1 the night before we leave and 1 the morning of the flight. Then the same for the way home. Calms him down enough not to panic about flying.

I am 42 years old. I've never been on a plane & never intend to be on a plane. It would have to be a life-threatening emergency/death of a close family member. You can't talk someone out of my phobia. I know more people die in car accidents than plane accidents, but that doesn't matter. I'll never see lots of sights in the world, and I'm okay with that. DH was in his mid-thirties before he was on a plane & had to do it because of work. He's done it twice now & still does not enjoy it. I think you should start children out on plane trips while they are babies & then they won't know anything different & wouldn't be scared of it.

Not Theme Parks and moving to TP Community Board as there is a duplicate thread on the Transportation board :)

I'm confused. So he should just buck up and get over his fear, but you take Valium to get through a flight? Not that there is anything wrong with that, I am a strong proponent of better living through chemistry, but I'm having a hard time understanding your logic here.

Sorry if I was unclear. I am not against medication - which was the point of the second part of my post. But my point in the first part was, at this child's age, and given his previous frequent flying, I would want to work toward any possible unmedicated solution to help him handle this anxiety. I think the solution of no layovers is a GREAT one - that way he gets on one flight, works through it, and he's there! I honestly think that given his history, a couple of successful, uneventful flights will help put his head back together again and take his anxiety away. I would HATE to see someone as young as he is hemmed in for life by a fear of flying - what a shame! I applaud his mom for working toward a solution - way to go, mom! I hope you guys have a flight that is like angel's wings, and that your visit to WDW is super awesome and wonderful!

I am 42 years old. I've never been on a plane & never intend to be on a plane. It would have to be a life-threatening emergency/death of a close family member. You can't talk someone out of my phobia. I know more people die in car accidents than plane accidents, but that doesn't matter. I'll never see lots of sights in the world, and I'm okay with that. DH was in his mid-thirties before he was on a plane & had to do it because of work. He's done it twice now & still does not enjoy it. I think you should start children out on plane trips while they are babies & then they won't know anything different & wouldn't be scared of it.

My son has flown a ton. He started out at 6 months. He even flew after the two times we had rough flights. IT has just been 2 1/2 years since his last flight and 31/2 since the last rough one and since we have made 3 trips by van…I think that is part of it. He didn't have to worry about flying since the last three times we took 8-9 day trips and drove.

Over here, in the UK, airlines often offer phobia workshops that involve a short flight to help get people over their fear. Do they offer something like that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter