anyone offer more?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by kkolbusz1, Mar 11, 2013.

  1. kkolbusz1

    kkolbusz1 Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2013
    Messages:
    194
    We're ready to take the plunge! We're going to purchase next year early but with the increase in direct from disney coming later this month, we feared it would drive resale prices up. Put in an offer yesterday but found out it was a foreign seller so it would take longer to close & they needed full price offer, so we're putting an offer on another, but its pretty low per point. Now obviously no one wants to pay more than they have to, but my feeling is that Disney will refuse it. In talking to multiple brokers, they told me Disney rejected 3 this week for $55, 57 & $58. This one is $60. So we're offering above that to try to ensure Disney passes it at ROFR. We know there's no rhyme or reason to how they do this but has anyone else offered more hoping it would get accepted & pass rofr?
     
  2. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.



    to hide this adverts.
  3. KAT4DISNEY

    KAT4DISNEY Glad to be a test subject

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2008
    Messages:
    9,806
    People have but not too often.

    Is it the absolute perfect contract that you have to have right now and if you miss it you'll have some other cost like missing a booking window or paying cash for a trip? If not then I'd just go with asking or make a lower offer because I've never heard of anyone that can predict what will pass and what won't.

    Even back when we were purchasing ROFR was frequent enough that people worried but there still wasn't any obvious rhyme or reason to what contracts were bought back and what weren't. Contracts priced higher would be taken and some priced lower would pass. Stripped, loaded, paying fees, not paying fees - all just a guess.

    However, unless something is changing dramatically Disney does not buy back all contracts so some will pass.

    If I bid up a contract and it passed I think I'd always be left wondering if it could have gotten it for less.
     
  4. bwvBound

    bwvBound DVC SSR & other timeshare

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2004
    Messages:
    3,612
    Have you studied the ROFR thread(s) for recently reported results? (I'd take a "Trust with Verify" approach to info supplied by the broker?)
     
  5. geraghty

    geraghty Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2013
    Messages:
    230
    I find it hard to believe brokers are having clients list their contracts for less than what they think will get rofred. Paying full price makes sense if It's the perfect contract. Anything over asking would be throwing money away IMHO. Plus I would want my contract to be in the middle of the pack so it would not draw any undue attention.
     
  6. jenbelles

    jenbelles Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2013
    Messages:
    86
    We were recently ROFR's at 58. My broker suggested that I stay in the low 60's. I would definitely give 60 a try.
     
  7. bwvBound

    bwvBound DVC SSR & other timeshare

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2004
    Messages:
    3,612
    But I think this type of response needs to be qualified by which resort/UY is involved. The ROFR threads are a good venue for tracking history.
     
  8. ELMC

    ELMC DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,981
    There are many variables that factor into whether or not Disney decides to take back a contract through ROFR. Unfortunately, we have no solid information on any of them or how heavily they weigh in the decision. Inferences made based on available evidence suggest that price is a big determining factor. If it makes you feel better to pay more, then do it. Just know that there is no direct correlation that has been established between paying more and having a greater chance of passing ROFR. Everything you read on here regarding the subject is conjecture and speculation. My personal view is to pay as little as I can for a contract. If Disney wants it, they'll take it. And if not, I'll get a good deal. That has led me to purchase four contracts and have six taken back. If you can handle that, then go for it. If not, I would suggest considering a different strategy. Good luck!
     
  9. MickeyFan612

    MickeyFan612 Mouseketeer DVC Gold

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2011
    Messages:
    438
    After having been ROFR'd on two SSR contracts last month I've decided to offer more!! I had settled on a great deal for a 300 point SSR contract and am now increasing my price by $900! The contract is still a great deal for me and if my seller was a little more informed I think he would be asking more per point anyways! My thoughts are if I'm happy paying a little bit more and get the contract- GREAT! If I lose the contract then at least the seller got closer to his contract value!
     
  10. Breyean

    Breyean DVC Since '93

    Joined:
    May 19, 2011
    Messages:
    1,041
    After two ROFRs on VGC contracts we passed on the third one and are waiting to close.

    When I spoke with the broker about making an offer, I was gun shy because of the prior ROFRs and the asking price of $90, with more than 1/2 the current year's points available, worried me.

    The agent asked if I wanted to offer more, but I just the asking price.

    Turned out great but you never know why some make it through while others don't.
     
  11. Sandisw

    Sandisw Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2008
    Messages:
    9,851
    I agree that there is just no way of knowing. I recently passed at $95 per point for BLT, Dec UY, with all 2012 points included, and someone's contract for the same price got taken. Mine was only 100 points and theirs was larger and included banked points, so maybe that played a role. But, I think if you are within a $5 per point range around some RoFR figures, you have as good a shot as any!

    Good luck!
     
  12. kkolbusz1

    kkolbusz1 Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2013
    Messages:
    194
    Seller accepted our offer. Now we wait for contracts & then on to ROFR. I'm going to get an ulcer! LOL!
     
  13. abner1776

    abner1776 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Messages:
    1,033
    IMHO a few $$$ higher or lower than the asking price is really petty cash...if the asking price is $58 and you are trying to decide on offering $57 or $59 for a 200 point contract....your talking about $400 folks. What is more important is whether you are comfortable with the contract and the resort and whether the contract is full or stripped. THe real cost of owning DVC is not in the price of the contract but its in the annual maintenance fees.

    If paying $59 would assure me of not having to worry about ROFR, then the extra $400 is chump change when compared with your total investment in the DVC contract.
     

Share This Page