Anyone lost overboard on DCL?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by grahamgallagher, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grahamgallagher

grahamgallagher Mouseketeer

Just wondering if anyone has fallen over board whilst the ship has been at sea?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Yokelridesagain

Yokelridesagain Mouseketeer

A cruise member went missing from the ship about a year and a half ago...presumably overboard, presumably by choice--although I'm not aware of any definitive proof of that.

That's the only one I'm aware of on DCL.

In the cruise industry in general, passengers going overboard is rare but not unheard of--not surprisingly, these are almost always intoxicated adults.

4. Cruisefan2

Cruisefan2 DIS Veteran

I lost someone close to me. It was the best ping pong ball ever R.I.P.

5. grahamgallagher

Thank you, just wondered.

G.

6. grahamgallagher

I was hoping to make someone walk the plank my harties on the pirate night...Only joking. :rotfl:

7. August2012Magic

August2012Magic Earning My Ears

I was on the Queen Mary 2 in June 2004 and we had a man overboard. Our ship got delayed because of it and the tide was high coming back, we barely cleared the Verrazano.

8. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

:rotfl2:

9. chateau

chateau DIS Veteran

The moderators earned their keep when the castmember went missing. The thread was FLYING, and there were wonderful, supportive comments, and some that were just terrible (one sticks in my mind, specifically, but I won't repeat... it was a horrific "joke"). I couldn't believe how fast comments came on then disappeared. Information can be great, but also can be abused. It was during that time that I learned a valuable lesson, that stuck with me since... if someone says something that raises my blood pressure, offer them good will (either in writing or in my mind) then move on, don't get into a heated debate... not worth it, really not.

10. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Many years ago a teen jumped from deck 4 while the ship was in port. To say the least, the captain was NOT amused. That area of the ship has since been closed off.

11. merriwthr

merriwthr Mouseketeer

I'm hoping his parents were even more upset by their son's behavior (I'm assuming a male teen) than the Captain.

12. woody73

woody73 <font color=darkorange>Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen<br><

The L.A. Times reported on the missing DCL crew member.

Woody

13. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Of course it was a male teen. He was caught when he appeared at the gangway soaking wet and tried to reboard the ship, although his KTTW swipe showed that he was already on board (since he hadn't swiped out). Sorry, don't know anything about the reaction of the parents.

14. westjones

westjones <font color=blue>Mother of Two <font color=deeppin

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the boy had to stay in his cabin the rest of the cruise.

15. woody73

I wonder if that was imposed by the captain or the boy's parents?

Woody

16. bdoyledimou

bdoyledimou Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in

It is very hard to go overboard by accident on these ships -- the railings are at about 4.5 feet height -- except for an unexpected BIG TILT you are not falling over --

17. woody73

Also, strong winds could be a factor. I've been on ships where the public outdoor decks were closed during high winds.

Woody

18. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Yeah, my recollection was that the captain allowed him out of his cabin only for meals and only then under the direct supervision of his father. However, this was many years ago and my memory could be faulty.

19. woody73

Don't underestimate severe winds. They were able to break the Wonder's mooring lines at Port Canaveral Photos.

Woody

20. disney1990

disney1990 <font color=royalblue>Wow, it make my heart skip a

Wow, we were on that cruise!!

21. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

I was on that cruise as well.....from what I understand he was basically under house arrest and not allowed out of the cabin unless accompanied by his parents. Funny it was brought up now....we were just discussing the incident with our kids (who remember it happening) last week.

MJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.