Anyone live in or around Jacksonville, FL

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by smilie, Oct 10, 2012.

1. smilie

smilie I've been unwonked!

I'd like to hear from those that live in or near the Jacksonville FL area.
    We are considering our moving options and this area has come up.
    I'd just like to know what the area is like.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Karalea

Karalea Mouseketeer

I don't but I have very good friends who moved just south to Ponte Vedra and they love it. They choose Ponte Vedra because of the school system. They heard nothing good about Duval county (Jacksonville) schools.

4. vicki_c

vicki_c DIS Veteran

My SIL and family moved to J'ville almost 20 years ago and they really love it. Their kids are out of school now and I can't remember where they went for HS (I know it wasn't Orange Park but somewhere else). They live in Argyle Forest. My DH and I aren't crazy about J'ville - we lived in Brevard County for a while and visited them often and it just didn't do it for us, but like I said they love it. My BIL works downtown and my SIL has done a number of different things all over the area.

5. gottaluvPluto

gottaluvPluto Where is my cookie?!!!

I have lived there off and on for several years and in a month we are moving back. Anyway, St. Johns County is the best county for school system. You should check out Fruit Cove, Ponte Vedra and Ponte Vedra Beach. Also look into a community called Town of Nocatee. Nocatee is a planned community with nature preserves and walking trails, very pretty.

6. mhsjax

mhsjax DIS Veteran

I live in Fruit Cove, aka St Johns. LOVE IT.
    OP. Stay out of Jacksonville/Duval county. You want to live in St Johns county. Schools are fantastic and a very family feel to it. All the kids are very involved in school activities/sports/church, take your pick or do all of the above. We call it living in the "bubble" he in St Johns. Ponte Vedra is nice, but a little older and probably somewhat more expensive and close to the beach.

Nocatee is nice, but I would look closely, they were in full start right when the housing crash happened. Not sure how built up it is. PM me if you need more answers. If you are going to move I can not suggest this area enough and 100% stay out of Jacksonville.

PS Most people who live in this area do work in Jacksonville. Also another poster said their relatives lived in Argyle, in Orange Park, I agree with her, don't like it and I would stay out. Traffic night mare, and not so great schools.

7. Swan4Me

Swan4Me DIS Veteran

My sis moved south of J'ville in the Mandarin area-but her kids are grown
    Their house is on a creek with a boat dock-they are always out on the river-and she has a kayak too!
    I really like this town-there is an art bazar under one of the main bridges every Saturday-and the College is really cool! (Her DH is a Professor there)

8. smilie

smilie I've been unwonked!

Thank you for all of the replies and info!

9. JimB.

JimB. DIS Veteran

I live in St Augustine. Been here about 27 years. Nice place. Not too expensive (but Ponte Vedra IS.....). Nice beaches. Good schools. Economy is so-so. Jacksonville..............let's just say I moved out of THERE to come HERE. Very tourist and agricultural based economy. Some light manufacturing and tech jobs, but not that many. Nice airport. Fun to fly at. Closest airlines at Jax International & Daytona Beach to a lesser extent.

That being said, when I retire, I am getting outta' here.............

10. jagfanjosh3252

jagfanjosh3252 #1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

I live in Jacksonville. Any questions you have I would be more than happy to answer

11. Jedana

Jedana <font color=blue>Have to learn to budget somehow.

I'm in Middleburg. Used to live in Jax on the southside.

I wouldn't live in the north or west. Southside is ok, but is starting to slip a bit.
    Job market still reeks.
    Duval schools are very hit or miss.
    People are ok, for the most part.
    I dislike driving on bridges--always have though.

I like living in Mburg---it's the boonies, but I have a quarter acre and a 4 bedroom house, close enough for my son to ride his bike to school, and my neighbors are nice. I just wish Whole Foods was closer!

12. gottaluvPluto

gottaluvPluto Where is my cookie?!!!

We went to Nocatee a couple of months ago and it's doing very well. A couple of subdivisions are in closeout and one is in the last phase. Willowcove has sold signs throughout the subdivision and they estimated that they will be in the last phase in a few months. They are starting to work on opening up two or three more subdivisions. The greentrails are up and running and within a year they will expand the trails to the Nocatee nature preserve. I was really surprised by the growth, but they are doing well.

13. parrothead365

parrothead365 <font color=purple>I'd rather have a kiss than a s

I live just north of Jacksonville in Nassau county fo over 20 years and in the Jacksonville are for over 30 years. What do you want to know?

14. Disney  Doll

Disney Doll DIS Security Matron

Where does someone who lives in FL retire to??????