Anyone know?

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
I read on one of the boards that they may be doing away with ALL fastpasses in the next decade. Is this true god forbid? If so does that mean they would get something better? I hope it doesn't mean they would go back to the old way cuz that stunk. I mean we have tried to take trips in the off season to avoid crowds but with my kids getting older and one going into high school we are back to having to deal with the school breaks UGH.

I can't even imagine going with no fastpass. I mean most of my family would not even think of waiting in a line that is an hour long or longer cuz we have gotten so used to just using fast pass. I think it would really bring a damper on things if it went back to that. I know I would have a hard time justifying going and spending ALL that money if I could only ride 5 rides all day because of summer or holiday wait times.

Please someone tell me it is not true or if it IS that they have an even better alternative! :confused3

You and me both. I love fastpass. Maybe all those people that never bother to do any research hate the fact that people get in front of them and witch and moan about it.

But not only does fastpass cut our time down, it cuts peak wait times down in the standby line.

I did get the impression around the boards that they were slowly getting rid of them -- at least at DLR. For example, they were removed from Star Tours, and there aren't any plans for fastpasses for the Nemo ride when it opens :confused3

All those commando guide books would have to be redone :rotfl:

From something posted on another board they are adding different layers to FastPass for the upcoming A Million Dreams.

Golden fastpass ,Resort and daily Milliondream passes .But it never mentioned about doing away with how it is now just adding to it.

If you read the link about POTC it talks about the demise of Fast Pass. They say that the new Disney powers that be are not fans of fast passes. They've already removed them from rides where they deem them unnecessary (POTC, Star Tours), they have decided NOT to add them to the new sub ride, and the article says that their probably will not be any Fast Passes at all by the end of the decade.

Why on earth would they get rid of something that works so well? If it keeps guests happy, I don't get why they would want to get rid of it!

Please don't flame me but, I cannot stand the fastpasses. The only reason we use them is because my husband hates waiting in line. I don't mind waiting. I used to love sitting and waiting during the indy line and trying to decipher the walls, Space Mountain when it had the Space News thing inside of it. It seems like its rush rush rush. Gotta go get on this and get on this. I like to take my time. But, then again that's just me. :thumbsup2

I wish my three kids felt the same;) . We would hate to see fastpass go. People who live close to or have easy access to the parks are able to stand in line because they can always go back again. Some families never get to go to DL and some save for years for that once in a lifetime trip. To fly thousands of miles and spend 2-3 times as much money as others seems mightly unfair to have to wait in line (sometimes for hours) for one ride because they may never have the opportunity to go back and see the rest of the park. Fastpass allows those visitors to see as much as the park as possible. Nothing makes for a more tired or disappointed child than one who spends more time shuffling in line to the front than riding the rides.
My personal opinion is that the whole Disney "Empire" is run that way. There is absolutely no incentive for international travellers or people living on the other side of the country to visit a park or do a cruise because they have enough locals filling the daily quota.
Fastpass on the most popular attractions allows everyone to have fun. Making sure that every single visitor has the same fun experience is what I believe is what the "magic" is all about!

Hmmm, maybe fast passes are destined to become Disney's next money-making scheme. Get guests to like fast passes, take fast passes away, then bring fast passes back, but ONLY if the guest has paid EXTRA for their park ticket to include the fast pass privilege. ;) (Oops, I'd better not give them any ideas. lol )

All kidding aside, this commando trip planner would really miss the fast pass feature if it disappeared.

Hmmm, maybe fast passes are destined to become Disney's next money-making scheme. Get guests to like fast passes, take fast passes away, then bring fast passes back, but ONLY if the guest has paid EXTRA for their park ticket to include the fast pass privilege. ;) (Oops, I'd better not give them any ideas. lol )

All kidding aside, this commando trip planner would really miss the fast pass feature if it disappeared.

Fast pass "is" kinda cool,only used it once,for autopia.Big deal.Other then that,no biggy.I know this wont sit well,but maybe restrict fast pass to the infrequent visitor.(let the bashing begin).I would LOVE to have an ap,but i live a tad too far away. ;)

danacath said:

It's not a joke. The biggest discussion on the Rumours Board on fastpasses, is that Disney may start charging for the privilege of getting them, or only including them with deluxe hotel guests.

That discussion has been ongoing. I don't think Disney will do that, but they may slowly get rid of the machines.

I've never really had to use Fastpass that much since I've always gone in the off-season. I was surprised though how many people stood in the regular lines when they were huge, instead of getting the fastpasses. The first time I went to WDW with fastpasses (2002) they were fairly new so I checked it up to that. This last Sept, there were still lots of people who had no idea what the machines were and just followed the herd.

Maybe Disney feels the fastpasses are being used but not by the majority? :confused3

I'm glad to see I am not the only one. I CAN tell you that with a 5 and 6 year old who are now getting too big for strollers they are going to be tired enough just walking around the parks but add standing in hour plus lines that would just be TOO much. I mean the fastpass to me was THE best thing ever invented because it makes even packed days worthwhile. Back in the day "off" season used to be more predictable but let me tell you I have been pulling my kids out of school for 5 years now to go in the "off" season and lately it doesn't seem to matter. The parks seemed to be much more crowded and we "usually" only get to go about once maybe twice a year if we are lucky.

I don't consider it commando to want to go on MOST of the rides. We are not the type that try to get 15 fastpasses at once and divide and conquer but what we DO do is usually send someone to say space mountain so we can go on splash or vice versa. That way by the time we work our way to the other ride we are not having to wait in that awful line.

I can tell you my dad stopped going to Disney because he can't wait in long lines and that is all he knew from years of going when I was a kid.

I think it would cause a huge backlash if they did it so it would be interesting to see what Disney would do based on the uproar. I could def see them charging for it though like Universal does with their front of the line pass. I can tell you I don't like those prices but I would be willing to pay it to avoid the nightmare of 2 hour waits.

As I said it would be different if we could keep going in the off season however with my kids getting older that is no longer possible.

Well I sure hope they monitor the different boards and figure out that it would be a BIG mistake. At least for the E tickets. It's fine to get rid of them on things like star tours where there is no longer a need.

Just my 2 cents on the matter :)

I do enjoy fastpasses but if they do away with them I won't be totally bummed. I only use them for a few rides the rest I have never really needed to use them. I guess if this does happen we will with have to come up with the best plan of attack without fastpass!

The next ride at DL rumored to be losing FP is Indiana Jones. If that actually happens, that would tell me they could very well all be gone eventually.

The justification for FP was not so much customer satisfaction, but that if they got us out of the lines, we would spend more money in the shops and restaurants.

It hasn't really worked out that way, though. Guests more often than not use their extra time to go on more attractions (*gasp*, what a shock, I know). Also, at DL, the walkways and common areas aren't as wide as they are at MK in WDW, so FP causes more congestion as more guests are walking around instead of standing in a queue.

Hence the theory that at DL, at least, they very well maybe going away.

The rumors about charging for FP, or tying them to the hotel you stay at, has also been around for awhile. The officicial Birnbaum guide for WDW even says something to the effect that "while FP is free at this time, it may only be free to Deluxe resort guests in the future".

That hasn't come to pass yet, but since its in the official guide, there's little doubt that Disney is at least considering revamping how FPs are distributed in order to get more value out of them.

Who knows what they will actually end up doing though.

My family all think that Fast Passes are key to our enjoyment of the parks. We all hate standing in line! We are the people who arrive at the crack of dawn and head out to DTD or CA when DL gets too crowded for us. While I wouldn't like it :sad2: , FP being available for booking at certain hotels would get me to book there and if it meant paying extra for FP, I would do it in a heartbeat.

As far as people not knowing what they are, one day we were in the FP aisle for Indy and a boy asked his grandma why we got to go ahead. She told him that we had more money than they did and so were able to buy the passes!!! I had to go back and tell her they were free and available to everyone. I don't understand not doing at least some research before going on holiday but then I will acknowledge being an "over planner"! :rolleyes1

When Finding Nemo subs opens it is rumored not to have fastpass. We can all expect that line to be Loooooooonnnnnggg!

ZeusNike said:
My family all think that Fast Passes are key to our enjoyment of the parks. We all hate standing in line! We are the people who arrive at the crack of dawn and head out to DTD or CA when DL gets too crowded for us. While I wouldn't like it :sad2: , FP being available for booking at certain hotels would get me to book there and if it meant paying extra for FP, I would do it in a heartbeat.

As far as people not knowing what they are, one day we were in the FP aisle for Indy and a boy asked his grandma why we got to go ahead. She told him that we had more money than they did and so were able to buy the passes!!! I had to go back and tell her they were free and available to everyone. I don't understand not doing at least some research before going on holiday but then I will acknowledge being an "over planner"! :rolleyes1

We feel the same way. We lovethe fastpasses.
The same thing happened to me on SM. While we were walking by the long line of guest waiting for the ride a family asked me how much we spent for our extra passes. When I explained to him what fastpasses were about they and a few other guests listening in were thrilled that they could use them too. How can you invest so much money on a vacation and be so clueless? :confused3

danacath said:

Universal Orlando has already done this. Don't know about Hollywood, but I would assume so. Disney is probably just watching how it goes before committing. Universal calls theirs Express Pass, but it is the same. I wish they would copy the resorts for Universal though. If you stay at a Universal Resort & show your room key, you get Express priveledges. Oh well.

spazzyjazzy said:
Please don't flame me but, I cannot stand the fastpasses. The only reason we use them is because my husband hates waiting in line. I don't mind waiting. I used to love sitting and waiting during the indy line and trying to decipher the walls, Space Mountain when it had the Space News thing inside of it. It seems like its rush rush rush. Gotta go get on this and get on this. I like to take my time. But, then again that's just me. :thumbsup2

No flame here. I see your point. I do enjoy Fastpasses, though, but I see your point. I grew up!!! without the fastpasses and just standing in line forever with parents. heee fun memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter