1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Anyone know why WDW won't let dining plan carry over for split stays?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by princessap, Sep 20, 2013.

1. princessap

princessap DIS Veteran

I am wondering if anyone knows why they won't?? I mean we are still staying onsite and giving them all our money still!!

It would make trip planning so much easier!!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. McKelly

McKelly DIS Veteran

I don't know, but I wish they would!!!

4. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

It's part of a package deal. Once you change resorts, your package ends and you need to book another package or just a resort stay (without the dining plan).

5. princessap

princessap DIS Veteran

I know that, I am just wondering if anyone knows their rationale behind not allowing it. It would make trips so much easier for people.

6. Deb & Bill

Because they lose money. Disney is not going to lose money.

7. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

I don't think it works with the reservation system, they can't continue a reservation over more than one room. Not even within a resort.

8. Lynne M

Lynne M Moderator Moderator

Each resort operates semi-independently. The term 'split stay' has no meaning to Disney's reservation system, it's just two separate reservations at two different resorts. Just as if you moved from a Marriott Courtyard to a Marriott hotel in the same city, you're staying at two separate hotels.

9. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

Because a split stay is two separate packages, therefore you must have a separate dining plan on each package. You can't have a single package at two different resorts.

Even if you are DVC (who don't book packages) you cannot carry over a single dining plan from one reservation to the next, you must book a separate dining plan on each reservation. Big difference there is you don't have to buy any tickets.

10. princessap

princessap DIS Veteran

This is what I don't agree with, how do they lose money?? if you stay ten days at WL and have ten days of dining there vs. splitting five wl and five CR you still get ten days of dining :confused3

11. Deb & Bill

You buy another set of park admission.

12. princessap

princessap DIS Veteran

I guess, but I think they would have made this possible by now. Seems crazy to me!

13. Kimberle

Kimberle WL Vet

You don't need to. You first resort can be a package with your tickets for the full length of your stay. Your second can be a room only. It's only the dining plan that can't be carried over since it "expires" at midnight of the day you checkout.

14. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

That's exactly the point Deb is making. Disney's rule is that if you're not a DVC member or an AP holder, you must buy tickets along with the dining plan to create a package. I'm sure there are plenty of people of buy two sets of tickets so they can have the dining plan at two separate resorts.

15. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

True, but now because OP can't carry over DDP and probably doesn't want to buy an extra set of tickets, she will not get the DDP for the second half of her stay. I would think Disney is losing money this way, because now OP will pay OOP for dining and in many cases people spend less OOP than they would on DDP.

If people are willing to pay for DDP for the duration of their stay, with Disney knowing they usually come out ahead with people on DDP, you'd think they would make it possible for you to get it for the whole time. I would guess more people are willing to pay OOP for food for the second half of their trip than they would be to buy extra tix just to get DDP.