anyone know if

Discussion in 'UK Community Board' started by Ali and boyz, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Ali and boyz

Ali and boyz DIS Veteran

you are charged import duty when ordering say vitimins and wound dressings from the USA. I know if you buy clothes etc you are charged VAT etc.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Frances999

Frances999 DIS Veteran

If the package is merchandise and valued at over £18, then yes. If the package is sent as a gift, then the value can be up to £36.

4. Claire L

Claire L <font color=blue>Enjoys a good broadway show<br><f

The Tariff for import duties is huge so really you need to contact Customs and Excise. Alot of things can be zero rated but other items surprisingly can be 12% or thereabouts. As for values of goods anything of a value over £18 is liable for duties/VAT if applicable.

Claire ;)

5. gilld

gilld <font color=deeppink>Will just have the butler ope

The perfume I wear is impossible to find here anymore so I order it online from San Francisco - I've never been charged any tax/duty and it's well over £18.

6. Frances999

Frances999 DIS Veteran

It all depends how much the company value the package at. I've ordered artwork before and the company who sent it to me stuck a $50 value on the customs declaration, despite the total I paid being over $500.

Also, it depends by which method the item(s) is/are posted. Typically, items sent by a service such as DHL or FedEx are more likely to be picked up at customs - in these cases you will receive a bill through the post a couple of weeks after the item is delivered. Items which are relatively small and sent via USPS go in to the hands of the Royal Mail - and these are more likely to avoid the import duties.