Anyone know how much rear brakes should cost to replace? (2004 Mazda 6)

AmyAnne

DIS Veteran
Just wondering how much we just over-paid to have the rear brakes replaced. Took the car in to the Mazda dealer to get the battery replaced and was told that the rear brakes were "critical" and "unsafe." I hate these on-the-spot decisions, and who wants to take a chance with brakes, but I am pretty certain I would have gotten a better price elsewhere.

And I know that in theory we could buy the parts and install them ourselves, but neither H nor I is at all competent with cars, and so I accept that we are going to over-pay some -- just wondering how much!

Did they replace break pads, beak shoes, or break rotors or all of the above? Rotors are expensive to replace, pad and shoes are inexpensive.

Replaced the brake pads. "Adjusted" or "cleaned" (or something similar but definitely not replaced) the rotors.

I would expect about $300. A lot of places advertise $100, but that seems low.

is the rear disc brakes or drum brakes?

drum brakes can last awhile, but they are a lot more expensive though.

$300 for pads, rotors, and calipers. $75-100 for pads only.

The 300.00 price is probably to replace the pads and turn the rotors. You do not have to turn the rotors when you replace pads but it highly recommended that you do.

How did they know you needed rear brakes that badly by changing a dead battery?!

Was an all over inspection also done or did they drive the vehicle?

I don't what it should cost. Thre's an app called repairpal that will give you an estimated price range based on your car and area.
I wouldn't take my car there anymore though. I'm not an expert on cars or anything but it seems weird to me that the brakes were so critical and unsafe but only needed pads. Also, if your brakes were that bad, I think you'd at least know something was going on with them, even if you know nothing about cars. I need to trust my mechanic and that would really make me think twice.

Last edited:
How did they know you needed rear brakes that badly by changing a dead battery?!

Was an all over inspection also done or did they drive the vehicle?

Pretty standard for dealer service departments and chain auto repair places to do a brake inspection with every service. A bit of good marketing, and a bit of protection from a customer who later asks why the shop didn't spot brakes that were due for replacement. Brake inspection is usually part of an oil change.
http://owner.ford.com/maintenance/s...17018&ef_id=VN-emQAABcjBWOwC:20151101164844:s

My husband's car needed rear brakes to pass inspection and it was right around $300.

Local mom and pop shop did front and rear on my mazda 5 for 280 mazda wanted close to 550 i think for the same work.

$300 for pads, rotors, and calipers. $75-100 for pads only.

This seems really low to me.

I think the parts would cost $300. One caliper averages $200-300 to be replaced ($75+ each just for the part).

Eta: I just looked up average costs online. Pads & Rotors $300-400. Pads, Rotors, Calipers $650-1000.

This seems really low to me.

I think the parts would cost $300. One caliper averages $200-300 to be replaced ($75+ each just for the part).

Eta: I just looked up average costs online. Pads & Rotors $300-400. Pads, Rotors, Calipers $650-1000.

Dealer or regular brake shop?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter