Anyone know about POP Legendary Years section??

MuseumMouse

Mouseketeer
Hey, does anyone know what the scoop is about the new section of Pop Century that I think was going to be called the "Legendary Years"? I know it has been under construction for several years now, but it still isn't open. Is it on hold indefinitely? Maybe WDW tourism has actually slowed down with the economy or something...? :confused3

Hey, does anyone know what the scoop is about the new section of Pop Century that I think was going to be called the "Legendary Years"? I know it has been under construction for several years now, but it still isn't open. Is it on hold indefinitely? Maybe WDW tourism has actually slowed down with the economy or something...? :confused3

Construction was halted after september 11th, 2001. There is no word on when or if they will ever finish.

The last rumor going around was they will all be family suites when and if they ever finish the construction.

That would be a nice addition for the VALUES!!

I just stayed at Pop from 5/25-6/2 and took a walk over the bridge to nowhere one afternoon. At this point, it's just the main building and maybe 3-4 buildings. It is very overgrown and doesn't show any sign of anything being done, whether it's construction or tear-down. It's really an eyesore and a shame that nothing is being done. It may be more economical, when and if they ever do anything with it, that they tear it all down and start over.

I just stayed at Pop from 5/25-6/2 and took a walk over the bridge to nowhere one afternoon. At this point, it's just the main building and maybe 3-4 buildings. It is very overgrown and doesn't show any sign of anything being done, whether it's construction or tear-down. It's really an eyesore and a shame that nothing is being done. It may be more economical, when and if they ever do anything with it, that they tear it all down and start over.

wow, that would be a bummer if they started from scratch! :( As it is, DH and I are big POP fans and have been anticipating staying at the new section for quite a while now.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their info on this. Too bad, though.

My guess is that the current down-turn in the economy will delay completion o this resort further. But then again, Disney might decide that more value priced resorts are just what is needed now.

How's that for a definitive answer?

There's definitely nothing going on with it now. I pass by the back of it everyday on the way to and from work and while there are piles of stuff sitting around, I haven't seen a soul there or anything moved.

They will absolutely have to tear everything down and start from scratch. It has been sitting there too long and is no longer structurally sound. Since it was never finished, it has been inundated with humidity, storms, etc, with no upkeep and what areas *may* possibly still be structurally o.k. will most certainly have mold/critters/vagrants.

I have heard, as most everyone else has, that they will build more family suites over there when they do rebuild. I would imagine that as long as they have to do free dining to fill resorts in the slow periods, though, they won't be building more rooms.

it sure would be nice if they finished itl the great thing about pop in the lake, and the walk around it... makes it feel less like a "value", more like a "mod' resort,, less like a "motel 6"

Actually, I don't think it's that people can't afford to go to Disney anymore (because of the slowing down economy) - I think it may be the opposite; there's more money in the high-end, Deluxe Hotels and DVC. I was going through some of my Disney books I'd bought for this last trip (dreaming of my next one) and in a section on Golf in the 2008 unofficial guide (the one with touring plans) they mentioned that two of the golf courses Eagle Pines (I think it was called) and Osprey were closing down because they're building a new Deluxe Hotel and DVC Villas with a new golf course. Sure enough, Eagle Pines is no longer available on the official site.

Not to mention the construction on the DVCs at Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Comtemporary.

I really wish they'd finish Pop Century. It's so sad all half complete like it is! And some of us just don't have a Deluxe budget. :sad1:

Thanks, CanadianGuy, for posting those photos. Very stealth! :smooth: It was also interesting to see the previous thread on this topic.

But I have to say seeing them makes me sad. :sad2: I guess I was really looking forward to the Legendary Years theming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter