• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone going in the August heat?

We're heading down in August this year. We did August last year and July the year before. It is hot, but it's also WDW. I'd rather a hot time at Disney than a cool day anywhere else. DH won't go in the summer, so it's just me and DD13 for our summer trips. We always get up early and get to one of the parks for rope drop. Then, when we start dragging, we head back to the resort for a swim and a nap. Later in the day, we go back to the parks and are fresh for the evening fun.

The most important things are to stay hydrated and to stop and rest when you need to do that. We saw a lot of people over doing it and passing out from the heat last year.

Being that I live in the scorching hot desert, last August in WDW, my first trip, was not that bad. . .apparently we got lucky because we didn't have the daily rain showers and there was a breeze nearly every day. . .The humidity was kept at bay by the breeze but it definitely felt hot. . .I won't lie, it was hot but since I am from a hot clime I really didn't have as many issues as others do.

Suggestions. . .

1. Drink LOTS of water. . .even if you are not thirsty. . .it will keep your core temp down. . .chomp on ice. . .it will lower your core even more.

2. Take frequent sun breaks. . .

3. Wear a hat. . .screw fashion, wear the darned hat. . .

4. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. . .nuff said.

5. Trust me when I say a lightweight cotton shirt is 10 times better than a cotton poly tee or a cami top. . .think loose and breezy. . . Oh and for girls, a skirt feels so much better than jean shorts. . .either that or REALLY LOOSE shorts. Throw fashion out the window here at this time and dress for comfort. . .you will appreciate it later. . .

Starting in 1983 we went every August for more than 10 years! Each year we swore "never again" but the next summer we were planning once again! It will be beastly hot and pretty crowded ... get to the parks early, take a mid-day break (back to the hotel or a relaxing late lunch in an air conditioned restaurant work well) and follow the advice of all of the "experts" here and you will do fine. We always had a great time ... in spite of the heat!

This will be our 4th straight trip for the end of August. It actually hasn't been all that bad. In fact the last 2 years when I called back home, Michigan was warmer. By the time August has come around, our bodies are used to the heat. Most of the rides/attractions are in air so for us it's not a big problem. I guess we are just glad to be together on vacation so the heat doesn't seem to bother us too much.

we went in August 06 for free dining. But the crowds were manageable (mid-late Aug) but it was HOT. and mind you, we are from Dallas, TX, so we are used to the heat AND humidity. But it was miserable at some points. We made sure to save a lot of indoor a/c attractions or shows for the hottest points of the day. We also took a midday break (just 2 adults, no kids) and even napped. It was nice to break at the resort and cool down or change clothes. We wore light clothing and brought a mist fan and stayed hydrated. We managed through it, but it was hot. In one of the pics at LTT for dinner, DH's shirt has very obvious sweat stains on the front when posing with Minnie. LOL :rotfl2: :rotfl: You can still make it through with proper planning, rest and hydration.

Hey N2DSNY ~ we're leaving August 8 for 8 nights staying at AKL!

We have went roughly around the same time of year for the past 3 summers. Yep, it's hot alright, but it's hot in June too. To me there's not much of a difference between 92 degrees in June and 95 in August.

Enjoy - all of the previous posters advice have been on the money!

Leaving August 15, and cannot wait!!! It will be hot but its what you make of it, I plan to nap and relax in the afternoon, its our first trip, we are not going to overdo it!

We went once in August a few years ago and we vowed not to go back but we are planning a trip end of July Aug next year:rotfl2:

DH is an accountant and we are doing a family trip and his sis is a teacher so low and behold that is the only time to go.

Beside the heat it is really not so bad. I find it to be less crowded than June. Just take lots of breaks, wear cool clothes and drink lots of water.

Hi gang,

Count me in! Aug 25- sept 2nd. We usually go in oct, last oct when we landed at mco at 11am it was 97 degrees. That whole week was in the upper 90's, it was hot.

Expect a afternoon thunderstorm and lots of water and small breaks and you should be fine. Have fun planning and we'll see you all there!!!

This will my first Aug. trip (we usually go in the off season). So, this year I'm planning to take a very small cream colored (don't use dark) umbrella in my daypack (it measure about 4 inches in length and about 2 inches in diameter when folded up) and I'm taking the mister fans you can get at any Walmart and will be filling them with ice water inside the park and will take my single packs of Crytal Light to add to some of that free ice water inside the park to keep us all drinking. I'm also putting the kids on second/third shift so we'll be in the parks for morning and evening emh's (should be more tolerable once the sun goes down) and will be sleeping during the heat of the day under the A/C.

Yup, going in the august heat for free dining, what could be better? :confused3

I agree with everyone else, we have had 100 degree days here already, rather be at disney than at home! :thumbsup2

Going in August, AGAIN. Yea, it's hot and humid, but when you're at the Happiest Place on Earth, you just go with it and melt! Just be prepared, those Mickey bars melt quick!!:rotfl: Bring water, dress in light colored clothing, and take frequent breaks in the shops and restaurants.

Get a Camelbak and fill it up with as much ice as it will hold, then add water. Not only do you have icewater all day long, but it keeps your back nice and cold!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter