Anyone from Ontario Been/Going To Disneyland?

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Anyone been or planning on going to Disneyland? If so, how early do you tend to book your flight and hotels? And do you purchase tickets through Disneyland or another site? Not sure if there are any deals out there.

We're looking at Disneyland for August 2017...either 3rd or last week...and would be at one of the close hotels offsite. Probably staying around 4 days at the parks and then see California for a bit (not sure how long or what to see).

I'm not in Ontario anymore, moved to BC ages ago but I can answer some of the DL questions. We are heading back in September for our 9th trip and I'm also planning another one next March for my birthday.

I tend to book the offsite hotel as soon as I have exact dates, all of the ones we have stayed at have amazing cancellation policies, so there is no harm in booking early. Depending on the number and composition of your group, there are a bunch of close by motels I can recommend. Be aware that the places right across the street from the DL entrance are all motels and not hotels. (Motels: exterior corridors. Hotels: Interior corridors) The closest (AFAIK) hotel offsite would be the Howard Johnson. We've never stayed there but the walk is a bit further but still totally doable with kids. Let me know if you want a rundown on some of the close motels.

As for length of time, we usually do 5 days at the parks but have done a 4 day trip once and this September trip will also be a 4 day one. We are not RD to close type people, DS is autistic so he really needs a bit of an afternoon break before heading back for the evening. If you are the kind of people who get to the parks right at RD and stay all day without a break, 4 days would likely be enough. Definitely get the parkhopper option though! It is really helpful at DL since the entrances to the two parks are only around 100m apart and it is really nice to be able to jump between the two parks!

Please let me know if you have other questions I might be able to help with! Oh, one other thing...if you can, definitely fly in to SNA instead of LAX. SNA is much closer to DL, only around 20 minutes away by car.

Aldora, thanks so much for the great reply. How exciting that you'll be there for the 9th time...and then a 10th next year.

We're debating between two different weeks for next August (am watching wait times this August to get an idea...but am not sure if it's a fair comparison with it being the 60th anniversary this year). Would love to get hotel recommendations. Thank you. We may rent a car, but we may not rent right away...and wait until we are done Disney and want to visit other things. Thus, ideally, we want something in close walking distance (especially in the August heat, we won't want a long walk), including breakfast is preferred but not a deal breaker if not included, free wifi (since we will have no plan coming from Canada)...and generally clean, comfortable, etc. We've stayed at Inns before so don't mind the style with exterior corridors. We don't want to pay $$$ for the hotel since we'll be extending our trip and visiting around California too.

I'm thinking 4 days...and have read that park hoppers are beneficial at Disneyland since the parks are so close, so don't mind purchasing those. We perhaps would do one rope drop, but not all days...but we'll probably just stay at the park all day until evening (at least at Disney World, we stayed at the park for the full day and had no need to leave).

Thanks for the tip about the airport. Only thing is when I checked for this August (to get an idea of price and availability), the direct flights from Toronto seemed to only be to LAX. The SNA flights had one stop...which in the end would make the total travel time longer. And with two kids, I'd prefer a direct flight.

We've been to Disneyland many times....sometimes we book our trips when we know the dates...and there have been times when we have booked a month out....depending on where you live in Ontario, you might want to consider flying out of Buffalo...we normally fly Southwest and while there is no direct flight, we try to book the flight that originates in Buffalo and connects in either Phoenix or Las Vegas...that way, you can get settled on the plane in Buffalo for about 5 - 6 hours....then it is a short flight from either Phoenix or Las Vegas. As for hotels, we prefer to stay at the Disney hotels.

As you can see from my signature, we have been to DL 3 times in August (4 if you count our honeymoon in '99) and it is one of our favourite times to go! We try and time it for the week before Labour Day, usually doing Sat-Fri, with Sun-Thurs being our park days. Many of the US schools are back by then and by leaving Friday we miss the Labour Day crowds. We find that while it is hot, it is not HOT and if you are used to the humidity of Ontario summers, Anaheim will be a piece of cake for you. The hottest trip we have done so far was Sept 2013 when the temps hit the low 40's but expect low to mid 30's but not humid. This August, as you pointed out, is going to be much busier because of the 60th but as a rule, I would not plan a trip right when the CA APs are unblocked because those few days are busy with people fitting in one last trip before school starts.

Living on Vancouver Island, we never take direct flights, we have to stop somewhere, usually Seattle so direct flights are not really an option. I really do prefer flying into SNA, depending on when you land at LAX, the drive to Anaheim can be a beast. We have had a few trips where we land at SNA at 10:30am and including dropping our bags off at the hotel, we are in the parks before noon! You really can't beat that! Right now Googlemaps is predicting between 1.25 and 2 hours from LAX to Disneyland and that is at 2:30pm. Depending on your flight times, this may not bean issue but it is something to consider.

So, on to hotels. I'll give a few that we have stayed at with some pros and cons...sorry if this is wordy but I love to have as much information as possible so I tend to give others the same.

Park Vue Inn (PVI): We have stayed there 3 times.
VERY close, right at the crosswalk in front of the Disneyland entrance.
Hot breakfast is included, they have make your own waffles plus one protein (bacon or sausages plus either eggs or biscuits and gravy) Also, toast, fruit and cereal. Well regarded as the best breakfast buffet.
Free wifi, although not the best if you are looking at high usage. (DS likes to watch youtube videos or netflix instead of tv so the PVI wifi is a bit iffy for that)
The rates are higher than other places but they have a queen bed plus bunk bed set up that works really well for us if my sister in law joins.
Convenience store onsite that has inexpensive bottled water, a must for us since neither DS nor I will drink the Anaheim tap water.
Free parking.

Desert Inn & Suites (DI&S): We have stayed twice and are staying there again next month.
Also very close, right next door to PVI.
Breakfast is included, not as nice as PVI, includes pastries, hard boiled eggs, toast, cereal, fruit, oatmeal, bagels and muffins.
Free GREAT wifi. This is the only hotel we have stayed at in Anaheim that has really good wifi.
Amazing rate if you book early although they do not have rates up yet for next August but we can usually get the 2 Q room for around $110/night and returning guests get a discount. We are paying $99/night in Sept. They have great room setups if you want more space, everything from 1 room with 2 queen beds to their parlour suites that sleep up to 10!
Pool here is indoor but we have never used it.
They do add on a parking surcharge but if you let them know you do not have a car, they will remove it without a problem.

Castle Inn & Suites: We stayed here once for our other September trip.
We planned this trip in 3 weeks so we basically took whatever place we could find. This place was fine, perfectly serviceable but further than we liked especially given the 40+ heat.
No breakfast and in fact, no room service either.
I can't remember if there was free wifi but their website does not mention wifi at all.

You can also check out this site for other places:
Accommodations near Disney

If you are going to walk to the parks, definitely stay in the green area, although the places on Katella are a bit further than we would want to walk.

Hope that helps!

We've been to Disneyland many times....sometimes we book our trips when we know the dates...and there have been times when we have booked a month out....depending on where you live in Ontario, you might want to consider flying out of Buffalo...we normally fly Southwest and while there is no direct flight, we try to book the flight that originates in Buffalo and connects in either Phoenix or Las Vegas...that way, you can get settled on the plane in Buffalo for about 5 - 6 hours....then it is a short flight from either Phoenix or Las Vegas. As for hotels, we prefer to stay at the Disney hotels.

We're in Toronto so a couple hours from Buffalo. We would consider this if it saves us money. When I checked for this August, it didn't seem to save much but will keep it open and check when looking for real for next summer. Thanks.
PS - Yeah, I bet the Disney hotels are amazing, but they are way out of price range if we want to budget for additional days touring California.

Aladora, yes your post definitely helps! Thanks so much.

Great to hear you love August. Next year our son will be going into grade 7 and so DH doesn't want to take him out of school anymore, which is fine but limits when we can come. March break is pricey and I imagine busy, xmas would be crazy busy so that leaves summer. And we selected Disneyland over Disney World since although both are hot, we've heard that CA doesn't get the humidity and rain that Florida gets in the summer....so much more pleasant and bearable.

So one of our options is coming exactly when you say...the week leading up to Labour Day. (We would either do Mon-Thurs or Tues-Fri) The only reason I'm not settled on that week is because DD and I absolute love Haunted Mansion in Disney World, and if we come that week, then the attraction will be closed for the Halloween overlay. So...the next best option (in terms of crowds) seems to be to back it up by two weeks (which is like the Aug 15th week this year). First, this week is quite likely HM will still be open. Plus the California AP holders are still blocked. I've heard as well to avoid the week the block is first lifted.

Thank you! I'm taking notes of your hotels. I have started research and so have heard of those. Park Vue seems to be a popular one, and perfect from how you describe it. So we'll just see the going rate. (Only thing is DH likes to book on Expeida and I don't think that one if offered through them). Desert Inn & Suites sounds great too. We don't mind an indoor pool as not sure we'd bother with a pool when we've come all the way out there for Disney. Good to know about the parking. There is also Desert Palms, which seems similar, but it's more at Harbor and Katella. Do you know how far a walk it to Katella? I'm guessing in the heat we should stick to across the street.

Last edited:

We've made the trip to DLR a few times, from TO or from other places. Only one of those was into LAX; the rest were into SNA. I really think a connecting flight is a small priice to pay for avoiding the drive from LAX to Anaheim. And God forbid you have to do it around rush hour. SNA is a comparatively small airport, and only 30 min or so away from the hotels on Harbour Blvd. Taxis or Uber are reasonable rates, and if there's only a couple of people, shuttle vans are numerous and reasonable rates.

We always stay offsite. Hojos has always been reliable and relatively close by. But the last couple of times we've stayed at the Tropicana and Park Vue. They're basically 2star motels, but they're clean, with friendly service, and location can't be beat. Right across the street. Desert Palms would be an extra 10-15 min walk away.

There are a couple of good stickies and hyperthreads on the DLR forum that are really helpful for planning. I think there's a SOCAL subforum as well, if your thinking of seeing more of the area. Somewhere in there is a link to a really good tourist map of Anaheim showing all the hotels, motels, drug stores, and restaurants in the immediate area of DL.

I highly recommended a couple of days in San Diego if you have a car once you leave DL.

Last edited:
I've been a couple of times and look at Air Canada. Often the red eye is about the same price as flying through Buffalo without a connecting flight.

Disneyland is different than WDW as that you don't need to be at the 6 month mark for dining. It's very much a locals park. Friday's are crazy busy as most locals have annual passes and Friday is one day that it's not blocked out ( Saturday's can be blacked out)
Lots of the good neighbour resorts are within walking distance.

Thanks for the replies. Will definitely check out flying into SFA. It's just that if our flying time adds another 2-3 hrs, then saving 1hr on driving isn't worth it. Then again, we may not rent a car right away so not sure if they have transportation available? If we end up flying to LAX, would the drive be better on a Sunday or a Monday (arriving say noon to mid day)?

Thanks...sounds like we should look at one of the motels right across the street. With the August heat, that may wipe us out...never mind about walking around in the parks.

San Diego looks lovely. We'll definitely consider it.

Yeah, have heard that Disneyland is more of a local park and more laid back in terms of planning. (Actually I'll miss the pre-booked fast pass). If we go the week in August around the 15th, then the California Annual Passes are still blocked. If we go the last week, then I think most kids are back in school, but the passes are lifted, so we'll keep in mind that afternoons are worse. So if we pick that week, sounds like Mon-Thurs is better than Tues-Fri.

Thanks for the replies. Will definitely check out flying into SFA. It's just that if our flying time adds another 2-3 hrs, then saving 1hr on driving isn't worth it. Then again, we may not rent a car right away so not sure if they have transportation available? If we end up flying to LAX, would the drive be better on a Sunday or a Monday (arriving say noon to mid day)?

Thanks...sounds like we should look at one of the motels right across the street. With the August heat, that may wipe us out...never mind about walking around in the parks.

San Diego looks lovely. We'll definitely consider it.

Yeah, have heard that Disneyland is more of a local park and more laid back in terms of planning. (Actually I'll miss the pre-booked fast pass). If we go the week in August around the 15th, then the California Annual Passes are still blocked. If we go the last week, then I think most kids are back in school, but the passes are lifted, so we'll keep in mind that afternoons are worse. So if we pick that week, sounds like Mon-Thurs is better than Tues-Fri.

I just wanted to note that you want to check out SNA not SFA. SNA is Santa Ana, also know as John Wayne Airport. SFA is, I think, in Tunisia and you would not want to get those mixed up! :D

As for transportation from LAX to DL there are a few options other than renting a car and driving yourself.

Take a taxi - $95+ depending on traffic. This would be my last option as the cost can vary wildly.

Magical Express - $30 per adult one way, $48 per adult round trip and according to their brochure one child (ages 3-11) rides free with every paid adult) Gray Line Anaheim

Get a car and driver - We have used Lansky's from Universal to Disneyland and we were really quite happy with the service. The vehicle was very clean and the driver was polite. The ride included a 20 minute stop at a store so we could grab some things and the driver was fine when I requested that we go to Target. (We like to get a flat of water bottles to have, see previous comment about the Anaheim water!) It looks as though one way from LAX to the Disneyland Resort area is $105 and the round trip is $200. This is a flat rate, there is no tax and the gratuity is included so no extra tipping required. We will likely use them again the next time we go to USH and then DL. Lansky

Shuttle - We've used a shared shuttle from SNA a couple of times but the difference in price over a taxi is only around $15 so it is worth it to us to grab a cab and get to the hotel quicker. But, for 4 of you from LAX it might be worth looking into. I found a quote for Karmel Shuttle for $76 one way for the 4 of you in a shared van.

Lastly, there is Amtrak but since we have never even looked into this, I could not advise you!

Oh, you should definitely check out this site, there are always transportation deals to be found along with other ones that might come in handy!

Visit Anaheim

If you select Transportation under the Category menu, there are coupons for both the Magical Express and Karmel!

As others have pointed out, DL is much more relaxed that WDW when it comes to planning. No pre-booking FPs and no stress about booking ADRs at the exact moment your dates open up. If there are any restaurants you absolutely have to go to, I would definitely make reservations but other than Blue Bayou, most of the restaurants can be booked a couple of days before you want to eat there. Since Blue Bayou is THE iconic DL restaurant, it can book up but I would not stress about calling exactly 60 days in advance.

Oops...thanks. I just checked my spreadsheet and my searches have been for SNA.

Thanks for the different transportation options... and for the Anaheim link. Will definitely check the site out..

Aladora, yes your post definitely helps! Thanks so much.

Great to hear you love August. Next year our son will be going into grade 7 and so DH doesn't want to take him out of school anymore, which is fine but limits when we can come. March break is pricey and I imagine busy, xmas would be crazy busy so that leaves summer. And we selected Disneyland over Disney World since although both are hot, we've heard that CA doesn't get the humidity and rain that Florida gets in the summer....so much more pleasant and bearable.

We have been at Disneyland for Christmas and on Christmas day the parks didn't get busy until mid afternoon. I think this is because more it is locals visiting the park...we rode all the rides we wanted and had no problems with dining reservations...we did book a tour in the afternoon that gave us front row spots for the Christmas parade....we had so much fun at Disneyland at Christmas...I think more fun than we had when we visited WDW for Christmas...

And yes, the DLR hotels are a little pricey but we made most of our trips when they still offered discounts like CAA/AAA and their awesome senior discount rates (40% off even at Christmas)....sadly those discount offers are no more...

Did it end of July 2014. I rented a car for the first part of my trip. Once we got to Anahiem, I turned in my car. We stayed at the Hilton. It is across from the parking lot. We walked over there and got the shuttle bus which dropped us off at the gate. We did 3 day park hopper. We also booked a Hollywood/Warner brothers tour which was great.

Did it end of July 2014. I rented a car for the first part of my trip. Once we got to Anahiem, I turned in my car. We stayed at the Hilton. It is across from the parking lot. We walked over there and got the shuttle bus which dropped us off at the gate. We did 3 day park hopper. We also booked a Hollywood/Warner brothers tour which was great.

We'd probably do the opposite...start at Disneyland with no car. Then rent one and travel around. It'll depend on the dates we end up picking.

How was the Warner Brother's Tour? Looking at that or Universal Studios.

Warner bothers tour was good. We got to go on Ellen's stage ( it was not filming). There were a couple shows filming, we saw a Pretty Luttle liar. It was pretty cool. Good if you have TV fans. You get to sit on the couch at Central Perk.
The whole tour we did was good. I didn't enjoy the Hollywood part. It was crowded and sketchy. We used the Anaheim tour company. It was a small group of 6 for the tour. We had lunch at a train restaurant that Sheldon loves on Big Bang

Warner bothers tour was good. We got to go on Ellen's stage ( it was not filming). There were a couple shows filming, we saw a Pretty Luttle liar. It was pretty cool. Good if you have TV fans. You get to sit on the couch at Central Perk.
The whole tour we did was good. I didn't enjoy the Hollywood part. It was crowded and sketchy. We used the Anaheim tour company. It was a small group of 6 for the tour. We had lunch at a train restaurant that Sheldon loves on Big Bang

Thanks for the feedback. i would like to do the Warner Brothers Tour (just that part...sounds like your WB tour was part of another tour?). It just depends if it's in the budge to include Universal and Warner Brothers. The WB really interests me, but it is only 2hrs or so vs a day at Universal. We'll see.

This is such an interesting post for me Frozen2014! We plan to go to Disney World next August (same time you are considering). At some point we started kicking around the idea of DisneyLand again because we've never been and would love to go. I am so familiar with WDW and not at all familiar with DisneyLand and didn't even know where to start planning, so I always end up planning WDW again.
There is so much useful information in this post alone that it is sparking my interest again...
Ultimately it will be cost that determines if we could do a Disneyland trip. Maybe I will make a spreadsheet and see how they compare.:scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter