Anyone ever try glittering your shoes?

Firefly09

going through Disney withdrawals
Ok, I've seen brides dye their shoes, I've also seen them put sparkle gems on their shoes, but has anyone ever try putting glitter on their shoes?

The reason I'm asking is I saw this pair of shoes at DSW they didn't have my size, plus it's a >4" heel with a 1" platform... completely not what I'm used to wearing at all.

I was wondering if i could find another pair of pumps that I would be comfortable in and glitter it myself. Any suggestions on how to make the glitter stay without the glue hardening up and making walking impossible?

Thanks!

You will want to find a pair of cheap shoe and try this it out. Go look in the craft store for fabric glue. You could also try a double stick tape, think heavy duty and scrapebooking. You can make patches on the shoes and try a couple differant types to see which would work best for you.

Good luck.

ooh! thanks! Off to AC Moore for some Mod Podge and glitter! also need to find a pair of shoes to try this on. I'll try to come back and share my results.

OOOOoooo thanks for this! All I want are some sparkly flats and I can't find any anywhere, so I might just do this instead! Yay!

Wow, I just saw those shoes in Steve Madden this last weekend... I loved the ballet flats!!

Come back and let us know how it turned out!!! I might be trying this as well if yours come out good! :)

Thanks for sharing! I wanted a pair of heels which is why I'm doing this.

I glued some jewels onto the bottom of my shoes...and when I went to the store they suggested (which I purchased) E-6000...its industrial strength adhesive and also water proof..it was like $3.50/tube...it held the jewels on my shoes with no problem!

Alrighty... as promised here's the result of my attempt to glitter my shoes. I don't have photobucket or anything so the pictures are just on my Facebook page. Hopefully this link will work.

My sparkly shoes!

So quick tips from my experience: Don't be afraid of adding too much glitter to the glue. I didn't use enough at first and got barely any coverage. Once I added more glitter I could see results much faster and probably could've gotten away with 2 coats instead of 3. And instead of trying to cover every little bit of black showing through from underneath, i just let it go. Because the more I fussed with it, more of the black would show and created lumps in the glue. Sure if someone came up really close and inspected my shoe they would see the black, but otherwise they would assume its just due to the glitter reflecting light.

I love love love how your shoes came out!!!!! They look awesome and it's making me want to try it.

Also, Offbeat Bride just posted a tutorial on how to glitterize your shoes.

http://offbeatbride.com/2011/02/sparkly-diy-wedding-shoes

Thank you! They were fun to do. I have a ton of glitter now so I warned DF to hide his shoes!!! :rotfl:

I saw that tutorial on offbeatbride.com, they used a different method than what I learned from other blogs. I added the glitter directly to the glue instead of sticking the glitter after applying the glue. i'm hoping that this will give me a more permanent results and not have a trail of glitter wherever I go! I'm going to let them sit and dry before walking in them. Will report back if this method works!

Thank you! They were fun to do. I have a ton of glitter now so I warned DF to hide his shoes!!! :rotfl:

I saw that tutorial on offbeatbride.com, they used a different method than what I learned from other blogs. I added the glitter directly to the glue instead of sticking the glitter after applying the glue. i'm hoping that this will give me a more permanent results and not have a trail of glitter wherever I go! I'm going to let them sit and dry before walking in them. Will report back if this method works!

Please do, I really want to try this myself. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter