Anyone ever tried this????

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by DisneyBrat, Jun 3, 2009.

1. DisneyBrat

DisneyBrat DIS Veteran

We decided to keep track for a year how much money we found. Every penny,dime,nickel ect was placed in a jar. I am happy to report we found 51.36 in one year. So far since we restarted our count we've found over 3 dollars in 4 days. It is AMAZING how much money people throw away!!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kacaju

kacaju DIS Veteran

that's cool!!
    I have a small bank next to my washer and all the money I find in the washer or dryer goes into that.
    When the kids were little that is where the ice cream man money came from!!
    Now I dump into our big jug that we put all loose change and use that when we go on vacation

4. maggieusa

maggieusa Mouseketeer

Car washes are great for finding money
    I use the jar to put all my found change and change from our pockets at the end of the day so far we have $125 in there .

5. CajunDixie

CajunDixie <font color=purple>"Carpe diem, quam minimum credu

There are quite a few blogs about finding change with their running total. One is called "Tha New York City Changepot" you can probably find it by going to blog spot and searching for it. Their family actually takes walks to get exercise and too look for change. They link to other similiar people too.

6. aidansmommy

aidansmommy Mouseketeer

That's a great idea! We have a change jar that we put our end of the day, pocket change in but I think I'd like to see how much we can just find! Sounds like fun!

7. Chuck-PA

Chuck-PA DIS Veteran

We have been doing this for the past 10 years.
    The most we have found in one years time is $265.00.
    During that year, we found 2 twenty's while walking, they were floating in the street.

8. MEM

MEM DIS Veteran

My Granddad used to do this, and kept the money in a jar on his bureau. He would walk several miles a day for his health and found all kinds of things. As kids, we could never understand why he didn't spend that money. However, it was made abundantly clear to us by our Dad not to "borrow" from that jar.

9. akenneson

akenneson DIS Veteran

My grandparents walk everyday and collect bottles and cans. They live in a state that redeems them for a nickel a piece..they don't need the money, but hey, free money is free money!

10. Jennifer in MI

Jennifer in MI DIS Veteran

We do this! It's so much fun to see it build. This year it's our spending money at Disney bin. We put all found money in there. We also pick up and 10 cent refund cans and turn them in - the money goes into our bin. I also do little things - like if I can find free parking when I otherwise would've had to pay, I take what I would've had to pay and stick it into the money bin.

It's so much fun to see how much money we find!!!

11. kellyg403

kellyg403 <font color=green>She changes friends like she cha

My dh does this! He delivers bread to several BK's in our area. He always parks to the back and after he is done, waits for the drive thru to clear out and hits the jackpot. You would be surprised but sometimes he can find almost 5 bucks a day just in quarters that have been dropped! He has been adding the 'found' money to the savings account this year once a month. Today we added 80 dollars of 'found' 'free' money!

Kelly

12. pfp258

pfp258 Mouseketeer

One year in December I found a $100 bill between the parkway between two houses. My dog happened to be going potty and when I bent down to clean it up, the money was lying dusted with snow. I held onto for two weeks hoping someone in my subdivision would report it missing. (We have an e-mail system for our neighborhood) Nobody did claim it and though it sure would have been nice to keep and spend a bit extra at Christmas...instead I took my girls up to the bookstore where they chose $100 worth of books to donate to our local shelter.

13. hrddrv

hrddrv Earning My Ears

I work at a High School and have found close to $3 in one week. Most of the time it is a cents a day or so. I saw a kid throw a whole jar of pennies in the air. I picked them all up. It took me a while but it added up to $9.32.

14. Jusacuz

Jusacuz DIS Veteran

Last year I worked at a local theme park and saved up all the money I found on the ground. I think I saved over $30. I did night cleaning there, but I talked to some of the day housekeeping people and they brought home tons of change, especially from the waterpark side of the park. If I could work days there, I would just for the found change. :D

15. cater00

cater00 Earning My Ears

We do the same thing. We have a jar that all spare change goes into. I also find lots of change in washer and dryer so it does pay to do laundry. Me and my girls walk every evening on the river front walk here and usually always find change. When in town my girls always find change in the parking lots also. We have already filled one jar up this year and working on our second one. It will be nice to see how much we have when we go to Disney in September.

16. courtneylauren

courtneylauren Disney College Program Fall Advantage 2014 Vacatio

wow that is great! we used to do this. we should start again.

17. DisneyBrat

DisneyBrat DIS Veteran

This is GREAT hearing everyone's found money stories :) Today I was at McD's drive thru and saw 21 cents on the ground. YEP I opened my door hopped out and picked it us. The cashier looked at me so funny LOL I said its my LUCKY day I found 21 cents and drove to the next window.

18. palavra

palavra DIS Veteran

We have a big, empty plastic coffee container that we use. Whenever I remember, I empty out the coins in my purse. Of course, I find lots of change lying around the house and in my husband's pockets:)