Anyone else underwhelmed by the poly?

Meh, I've always gotten a Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii vibe from the Poly, and I always noticed those rooms that have no balcony, just the sliding doors with a railing right up against them. Not a fan. Bungalows over beautiful blue seas-good. Bungalows over brown Disney water-not good.

I kind of hoped they would make the bungalows swim up. So they would have to add a pool of sorts.

The Poly is my family's favorite!! We are new DVC members, just bought at VGF. We're planning to buy points at Poly on Day 1 and just roll back and forth between the two!!

We loved the old Poly and I'm sure we'll love the new just as much! I'm excited that it's taking on more of an Adventureland look. I think some people are more thinking "Maldives" when they see the bungalows, but much of Polynesia has lakes and streams that are more murky-looking, so that's the picture in my mind when I see them.

And oh by the way we saw an alligator that was 5-6 ft long at the boat dock when we were there last Sept so I'm glad we won't have to swim to the bungalows!! He's probably been relocated by now, but he may have some friends that are still out there!!

A shout-out to Tikiman for all his hard work keeping everyone updated on all the new developments--love you Tikiman!!

Yes, underwhelmed. I thought the original plans that were showing up were really really interesting and I found I was really really thinking about buying there. Then - the slashing of the project. Replacing hotel rooms with DVC. Not exactly a big deal. :sad2:

I've been underwhelmed since the one and only time we stayed there in 1996. Seemed dark and dreary. Have visited a few times for meals or shopping (mostly because my friends wanted to), didn't change my mind.

I have never stayed at the Poly, but include me among the underwhelmed. The place is very dated, a la Brady Bunch, and it's always so chaotic when we are there. It doesn't help that two of my least favorite Disney dining experiences have taken place there (O'hana and SOA). Count me out. Besides, I don't think I could bring myself to spend the number of points that it will probably require to stay there. Now, VGF . . . I think I can be talked into coughing up the extra points for that.

Umpteen years ago, shortly after our honeymoon, I took my wife to the Poly for her first visit to WDW. We loved its seclusion and its quiet tropical ambiance. Since then, the resort has grown more crowded, noisier, more chaotic. The atmosphere simply isn't working any more and the magic is gone. I'm glad the DVC rooms won't further increase the population. My hope is that the renovations (even taking into account the loss of the lobby "volcano") will help the resort handle crowds more quietly and gracefully. Time will tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter