Anyone else underwhelmed by Frozen Ever After?

Aliceacc

DIS Veteran
I'm sure my point of view will be wildly unpopular, but I'm going to voice it anyway.

We got back LATE Wednesday night after a weeklong stay. We had a FP for Frozen. We were first on line when it broke down, so we were given return FPs. We went back a few mornings later and got right on.

In my opinion, it was... ehh. Yes, it was very cool that they were able to get Olaf to move.

But beyond that, it was scenes from the movie. Well done scenes, but nothing much more.

Somehow with all the hoopla, I was expecting more. Something "Ever After", something about Summer, something that went beyond where the movie went.

I'm glad I saw it. But if I had gotten a second set of FPs, I would have traded them in for yet another viewing of Soarin'.

Again, probably a wildly unpopular point of view. But I wouldn't wait on an incredibly long line in the summer heat for this particular attraction, not when there are Soarin' and Test Track in the same park.

Then again, my youngest child is 13. I'm sure that those with young daughters have a very different point of view.

It wasn't awful. It was a perfectly nice little ride. But not one of my "must sees." I liked the old Norway ride, and probably prefer it to Frozen Ever After.

Last edited:
Somehow with all the hoopla, I was expecting more.
There was a similar phenomenon when Seven Dwarfs Mine Train opened. It had been hyped for so long that people finally rode it and thought "THIS is what all the hype was about?" If you went into FEA expecting a big, flashy new ride, you were going to be disappointed. I went in expecting a dark ride, nothing more, nothing less. I came out impressed: The anamatronics are incredible, the music is fun and the scenery is beautiful.

There was a similar phenomenon when Seven Dwarfs Mine Train opened. It had been hyped for so long that people finally rode it and thought "THIS is what all the hype was about?" If you went into FEA expecting a big, flashy new ride, you were going to be disappointed. I went in expecting a dark ride, nothing more, nothing less. I came out impressed: The anamatronics are incredible, the music is fun and the scenery is beautiful.

I don't know what people expect for new/ refurbished attractions. I'm sure cost is #1 on the list. I haven't been on the new frozen ride but I'm sure it has to be better than the old rendition that was there before. Heck, no one would ever watch the video after the ride. I look forward to experiencing this attraction next month.
Commenting on the mine train, I thought it was a well conceived attraction given the small footprint they had to work with. It is one of the smoothest roller coasters I have ever been on. The seats are a little small..... My only complaint. Everyone must remember that it was constructed in Fantasyland, for little tikes, not to rival Rockin Rollercoaster.

Maybe it was the title that threw me off.. I think I was expecting something "Ever After" about the ride?? I was thinking that it would show the sisters after the story ended, something along those lines.

Again, I didn't hate it. I simply didn't love it the way I love so many of the other WDW rides and attractions.

We were there last week and rode both 7DMR and Frozen for the first times. We were far more disappointed in 7DMR. WE actually thought Frozen was OK, but I don't think we were expecting much. With 7DMN, we were thinking roller coaster. It wasn't. With Frozen, we knew it was just a boat ride with new surroundings and that's pretty much what it was.

I think expectations were high due to the long anticipated opening. Then when it opened, it kept breaking and people were irritated. I think it just kind of "took the wind out of the sails" kind of thing.

I have yet to ride it, but I can tell you that the kids in my house are "over" Frozen. I will force them to ride anyway LOL, but I suspect they will not be overly impressed because they are sick of the movie, sick of the merchandise (oy, the money we spent on frozen shirts, frozen cups, frozen blankets, frozen stuffed animals etc.), sick of the songs, sick of the characters........

I, for one, am excited to experience it though.

I haven't seen the Frozen ride yet...waiting for the lines to go down. We did head over the other day to see the new Soarin'. It seemed to be a little shorter than the old ride. It was still nice, though.

Maybe it's a matter of what you walk into it "expecting" to see. If you set the bar really high in your mind, it may be hard to meet that expectation no matter how good the ride is. Of course, it's also subject to personal opinion, tastes, etc...

While I don't think FEA was the greatest thing WDW has ever done, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing it again next year. Nor would I slam someone for not liking it.

I found it very underwhelming. I hear a ton of Disney fans knocking universal for using screens. Half of that ride is screens, there's also a bunch of dark/unused moments. I'd go on it if I had kids with me or there was no wait, but I'd never fast pass it again.

Well I planned a 500 mile three day trip to coincide with the Opening of Soaring, FEA and Jungle Book (Wishing for ROL). I can honestly say I was not impressed at all. I feel with all the magic and resources at Disney's disposal they could have done better. The scenes were very rushed and you couldn't enjoy all the scenery. You barely had time to hear any of the things being said by characters. The section near Elsa wasn't even cold. With a snow scene they should have at least had it blowing very cold air in there. I definitely will never waste a FP on it again.

We thought it was just okay. The animatronics were impressive, but we won't go out of our way to ride it again. We had 2 sets of FP's for different days and ended up cancelling the second set for Test Track instead.

I still don't understand the message they're trying to send once you enter Elsa's castle. She lifts her hand and sends you going (quickly) backwards down a hill. Like, is she a bad guy now? It just seems odd.

I agree, I thought it was just OK. Kind of like Peter Pan or the old Snow White dark ride. It wasn't bad, just dull.

I feel like the consensus these days is, go in with low expectations and you won't be disappointed. I don't think it's unreasonable for guests to expect Disney to produce imaginative, innovative rides and shows, although I'm struggling to remember the last time Disney really blew me away with something.

I'll most likely ride it because I think you should experience everything that you can at least once but I'll admit I'm not going to do a FP or wait in a long line. I'm not a fan of Frozen, it was a cute enough movie but I didn't think it was all that and I've grown tired of seeing it everywhere. I was disappointed when they decided to put it in Norway since as close is it comes is a make believe country based loosely on Norway and it really upset me when they put it in the church as well. I didn't think SDMT was all that the first time I rode it but it has kind of grown on me. My son was a Navy Corpsman and contracted a viral infection which caused nerve damage in his spinal cord so all intense roller coaster rides are out for us now, we've found SDMT has enough of a roller coaster feel to at least give us a taste and I enjoy looking at the little details along the way, I seem to see more and more each time I ride it. Again, I don't stand in line for it but do normally do a FP since most of the other rides we ride we don't really need one for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter