Anyone else think the MK boat horn is annoying?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by DisneyFave, Nov 22, 2013.

1. DisneyFave

DisneyFave Mouseketeer

I returned a few days ago from a great stay at the Poly. I stayed in Tuvalu in a lovely corner lagoon-view room. My, my, my, was that boat horn annoying! It started at 7am and didn't stop until 1am some nights! All I wanted to do was leave my sliding door open for the lovely breeze and the amazing view of the (top of) the castle, but that boat horn made it impossible. Is the horn really THAT necessary? It made me wish I'd booked a much less expensive garden view room.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

It's bad at the Epcot area resorts, too.

4. DisneyFave

DisneyFave Mouseketeer

Very good to know! They were next on my list and I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

5. kapoof

kapoof DIS Veteran

I enjoy the horn..i love waking up to it:goodvibes. Just sounds like disney....

6. Mommy2TwoMickeys

Mommy2TwoMickeys DIS Veteran

I was going to say the same thing ;) I absolutely love "Disney" sounds, especially at the Polynesian!

Now if you want to talk about loud...last week we stayed in a 2 bedroom Lakeview at the VGF, when the EWP started the music was literally blasting ::yes:: I've seen the show before from the Polynesian beach, but never heard the music that loud. When it started it did pass very close to our room though so I am assuming that's why :thumbsup2

7. mbcary

mbcary <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I noticed it at WL as well. More so at night. MK was open until 2am two nights in a row during our stay. So, I could hear that horn well into the night while going to sleep. Granted it wasn't loud enough to keep my exhausted Disney body from sleeping.

8. elaw

elaw DIS Veteran

I find it to be a bit of both ... love it (see above quote), but ... at times, can also find it somewhat annoying :confused3

9. Polydweller

Polydweller DIS Veteran

Yes, they are required by licensing and regulation in the operation of a boat. They are standard boat signals used worldwide to warn other boaters of your movement and intentions.

10. Sweettears

Sweettears 50 years of Disney and counting

I also on the side of loving the sounds. It's truly what keeps reminding me that I'm at Disney. I usually stay lagoon view at YC and sleep with the balcony door open so I can hear the sounds.

One of the best was a MK view at the GF. Every morning you could hear the wolf howl which signified Disney waking up to me.

11. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you didn't like the constant sounds of the boat horns. That's one of the many things I love about staying at the Poly :goodvibes. One of my favorite things to do is relax in a hammock listening to the horns as the boats go back and forth to MK :cloud9:. I also enjoy hearing them while sitting or walking around the resort. With that said, everyone is different and other than the boat horns being bothersome, I hope you had a nice stay :).

12. bookgirl

bookgirl DIS Veteran

No, but I grew up within hearing distance of railroad tracks and major interstates. Both in a rural/county setting and in a city but not a major metropolis so sound carries way long and way clear.

Both sounds are very soothing to me.

Horns are a non starter.

13. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We heard the racket from the EWP at BLT, too. When you are inside the C of the building, everything seems to reverberate off the walls.

14. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Doesn't bother us at all. We were just at the Poly earlier this month. We regularly stay at the various Epcot resorts as well. For us the boat horns are just part of the overall ambiance, reminding us that we aren't in the real world.

15. ktlm

ktlm DIS Veteran

I love the horn! We got upgraded to a Theme Park view room at GF, and I loved that we were right by the water and could hear the boats going back and forth. It is the best room view we have ever had, and I loved the sounds that went with it. We've stayed Garden View at GF and Poly before, and I can't recall hearing the horn from inside those rooms.

16. Katelly

Katelly Mouseketeer

Same here. I used to love hearing the horn when we stayed at the Beach Club.

17. Lisann

Lisann Thank you, Walt.

So sorry the horn drove you nuts! :))

I love the sound of the horn, and even hearing the MK train makes my heart sing! Maybe I haven't noticed it as much because we always book a garden view room. Maybe try that next time and see if it helps.

18. carrie1626

carrie1626 DIS Veteran

Did OP think they were blowing the horn for fun:confused3

19. SyracuseWolvrine

SyracuseWolvrine Hockey Fanatic

Yes, it is. According to the US Coast Guard Navigation Rules (Rule 34, Section G)

Source: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent#rule32 $ 33

20. sharadoc

sharadoc Visit WDW since '86, driving since '94.

When we stayed at the Contemporary theme park view, the sounds were truly what made it special. The ferryboat and small FW/WL boat horns, the train whistle at MK, the monorail, all wonderful sounds. We always opened up the balcony doors to hear it all.

21. manning

manning <font color=blue>Just for that I have requested it

Ever notice when the boat leave the dock there is 3 short toots.

That's telling other boats they are pulling out and to be alert.

Now only they can adopt the cruise ship horn and blow "when you wish upon a star. :rotfl: