Anyone else miss the challenge of the old fast passes?

mickeyfan32

Mouseketeer
One of my favorite parts of going to Disney was seeing how to work the fast pass system. I used to run straight to tower of terror grab a fast pass while going on standby. Then as my window time opened up I would grab a fast pass from rockin roller coaster. Then use my fast passes on both while getting new ones. It was such a challenge but I loved it. Last night as I booked my fp+ I realized part of my thrill of my Disney vacation was gone. Now I just have to stress about going from test track, to Germany for dinner to the seas to see nemo. Lol. Just wondering if anyone else misses this.

I also have no clue how someone who doesn't know anything about Disney can book fp+. Am I the only one that considers locations in the park for my itinerary? (Granted in traveling with a 4 and 1 yr old so I can't be going all over the place).

I'm glad I had someone in my party who liked the FP- challenge but it wasn't me!

I also think a new visitor without a good knowledge of the parks is more likely to book what they think are good FP+ choices without realizing that they made themselves an awkward path around the park over their day. I haven't checked out any new disney guidebooks lately to know if they help alleviate this.

OP--I totally get what you're saying! It was fun! And I do miss it, thought I'd hate the new system. But actually really loved it. It was nice to know I already had my Toy Story FP and didn't have to worry about the mad dash! We could even go to the park later in the day and know we'd be able to ride it. That part is cool. And you can actually still get some of that "thrill" with the fourth and subsequent FPs! In MK, we used 8 FPs in one day. Use three, get another, ride something while waiting, as soon as we're off, back to the kiosk for another, etc. Or in Epcot, we used one, moved another up, were able to get another later. So there is still some of that game involved! And we never saw lines at the kiosks for additional FPs like others complain about. At most 1-2 people ahead of us.

Wouldn't it be great if we could keep this thread going without mentioning FP+! (wait, that one doesn't count)

Yes, we loved maximizing the paper FP system. As soon as that window opens up, grab more, rinse, repeat all day. Then throw in the ability to use them anytime that same day after the stated window. Yeah baby! It was just so much easier overall.

Yes, our pedometers probably would read way higher in those years, but we loved it.

Dan

I'm glad I had someone in my party who liked the FP- challenge but it wasn't me!

I also think a new visitor without a good knowledge of the parks is more likely to book what they think are good FP+ choices without realizing that they made themselves an awkward path around the park over their day. I haven't checked out any new disney guidebooks lately to know if they help alleviate this.
The "challenge" of the old system kept us from booking a trip until now. We had no desire to participate in any stampede for rides. So, being new to Disney, I did study up before my FP+ window opened to make sure I wasn't running back and forth all day chasing my times, then I used touring plans to double check.

I don't like all this pre-planning a vacation, but I'd enjoy running after FP- a lot less.

The only thing I miss from fp+ is explaining it to clueless guest and making their day.

One of the last times was a grandmother and preteen granddaughter. After showing the grandmother how it worked she was so happy. We parted ways so her near park closing and she thanked me so many times for making her day better.

It was her dream to take her grandchild to mk, but she could only afford one day. And this was it, she got to do more then she ever thought she would.

It still warms my heart to help the magic of Disney happen.

Not at all, especially after they eliminated the return anytime after.

I have to say that was the best loop hole ever.

Holding all the fass passes and coming back when ever you want was awesome it was like front of the line passes at any other amusement park.

I miss the old fast pass system so much! It just takes some of the fun out of our Disney vacation! :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter