Anyone else having trouble planning their AK day due to ROL and Tiffins?

Octoberbaby

DIS Veteran
Usually AK isn't even a half day park for us. Now, I am completely loony over planning our AK day! We only do a few things, but now are trying to figure out how to stretch out the day to include ROL and Tiffins. It would help tremendously if I knew the times of ROL and the menu for Tiffins! Anyone else having this "problem"?

We are the same way. We are usually in AK for 4 hours or less. I don't think we will still spend a whole day at AK on pre-Pandora trips. I think we will hop into AK in the afternoon with FP+ and stay for ROL or just hop into AK in the evening for ROL only(and maybe dinner). I still think we will RD AK at times because of being able to get stuff done without using FP+ times.

If hopping was not an option, we would either RD and take a mid-day swim break and return for ROL (summer) or get a late start and stay for dinner and ROL (cooler weather).

I also think the time of the year will be a factor since ROL show times could vary like some of the other nighttime shows. Plus, whatever the best strategy is now will change next year with Pandora.

We are park hoppers and have planned one early EMH at AK for rides, one afternoon doing the shows, and have left one evening open in case RoL is open by the time we go in mid-May. If it's not open, we will go to another park or Disney Springs that night.

I'm struggling a bit too. I've got everything planned except that. My biggest fear is after I've made all my ADRs the park times and EMHs will change because AK will be open later.

I'm struggling a bit too. I've got everything planned except that. My biggest fear is after I've made all my ADRs the park times and EMHs will change because AK will be open later.
That is my main concern...ADRs, times changing, and my FP!

Exactly! And my 180 day mark is rapidly approaching.

Yes, and HS fireworks. Would it kill them to give us some info? Planning around night shows is totally different.

Welcome to the same boat I'm in. We just passed our 180 window. I'm still only planning 1/2 to 2/3 of a day at AK even with Tiffins and ROL. We will spend the morning in another park, book all of our FP+'s for the afternoon and be ready for dinner and show in the evening. Right now I have ressies at Sanna but I'll drop those in a hot second if/when Tiffins opens up and I secure an ADR for it. Also I'm hoping there will be a ROL-Dinner package with reserved seating.

I'm hoping I can get a ROL/Tiffins package but for a time during lunch. My son HAS to eat at RFC during lunch or dinner, which is making planning even more difficult. I will definitely choose RFC over Tiffins if I have to, for him, but I'm hoping I can make both restaurants work. The location of RFC is kinda inconvenient unless you are arriving/departing the park, so we are hoping for dinner there.

I planned to just park hop and FP the second half of the day at AK. Tiffins was not a high priority to us but the bigger problem was getting ROL into the usual plan.

Welcome to the same boat I'm in. We just passed our 180 window. I'm still only planning 1/2 to 2/3 of a day at AK even with Tiffins and ROL. We will spend the morning in another park, book all of our FP+'s for the afternoon and be ready for dinner and show in the evening. Right now I have ressies at Sanna but I'll drop those in a hot second if/when Tiffins opens up and I secure an ADR for it. Also I'm hoping there will be a ROL-Dinner package with reserved seating.
Same boat only we are under 120 Days. Park hours closing at 5:00 during our trip doesn't allow for even a "just in case" dinner ADR. Also hoping that there is a ROL Dinner Package and if not a FP+ for ROL. Just hoping schedules are set before our 60 day mark.

I would plan to either go in the evening of an "off" day or take a break in teh afternoon, go back for the evening shows and plan dinner in the park. I have sworn off of hopes after we only used them one time last trip, so this is my plan if we go in December. Either that or we will go later in the morning, and just stay til park close. It is an adjustment in my AK mindset because we generally RD and stay to about 3. I used to stay til after the parade, but since that is gone we leave earlier.

I am at 96 days until we arrive for our trip. The park hours calendar updated in the last couple of weeks to show AK open until 6:30p most of the time during our trip, with a couple days closing at 6. This is the latest I have seen them be open so far, but I could be wrong. When we booked our trip back in November 2015, AK park hours showed closing at 5p. EMH schedule has not changed since we first booked (not yet, anyway.)

I'm with you. Our AK days almost always end with us going back to the resort by 4:30-5:00; showering; putting on nice clothes; and heading out for a Signature meal. In a couple of months, we are doing just that and have a 7:00 ADR at bluezoo. But if AK opens up its new stuff on Earth Day as some have predicted, all bets are off. Maybe. It is tough, but at least everyone is in the same boat. And those of us who check sites like this routinely have a "better boat" than those who don't. So there's always that.

Yes, and HS fireworks. Would it kill them to give us some info? Planning around night shows is totally different.
Apparently, it would kill them to give us information. My trip is in 22 days, and they STILL don't have the Star Wars fireworks on the schedule for March. (Fortunately, the Star Wars thread has the presumed times, but no "official" word yet.)

Apparently, it would kill them to give us information. My trip is in 22 days, and they STILL don't have the Star Wars fireworks on the schedule for March. (Fortunately, the Star Wars thread has the presumed times, but no "official" word yet.)

I hear you. 51 days and don't even know if there will be fireworks, let alone the time. And then there's the whole rumor of Rivers of Light. I feel like they shouldn't make you plan FPs before they even know what they'll be offering.

Can't remember where I heard it, but the Star Wars fireworks are supposed to run at least till March 19th?? Wish I could say where I saw that........

We go every year during spring break; this yr week of March 13th. Thru the process of trial and error over the years AK has just naturally become a half day park.

I thought about throwing it in the middle of our trip this year to be different, but just cannot justify doing this till it is open later.

It is a deceptively large park. So going around to do even a few things there can be exhausting.

It seems like it takes forever to get out of that place when we head for the bus back to catch Magical Express.

I check out, then we go to AK, then leave to catch our flight.

Usually enough time to do quite a lot before catching an 8pm flight.

Worried because we are allowing 2 full days for Epcot this year.

Wish something would be ready when we go. We are going to just miss it all................

I hear you. 51 days and don't even know if there will be fireworks, let alone the time. And then there's the whole rumor of Rivers of Light. I feel like they shouldn't make you plan FPs before they even know what they'll be offering.
That's my biggest problem, too -- that we have to plan so early, and yet they're so slow to dole out information to us. They haven't adjusted the March hours since november, so I really have no clue what closing times, fireworks, parades, etc. are going to be. Good luck with your AK planning!

Can't remember where I heard it, but the Star Wars fireworks are supposed to run at least till March 19th?? Wish I could say where I saw that........
The only info about the fireworks after February is what people have been able to glean based on the dessert party at HS -- using the party times to figure out the (probable) fireworks times. The dessert party is only through 3/19, and no one knows if the fireworks will continue after that.

Since I have a little that needs down time in their park says we are planning on going to AK in the morning and using our FP reservations, grabbing lunch at Flame Tree and heading back to the resort. I left the evening open so that I can possibly make a dining reservation somewhere and then see ROL when a time has been set. I figure it will be around dusk since lights are part of this entertainment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter